Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Are there any MO neighborhoods in Brooklyn?
1  2  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:14 pm
I'm curious about moving to Brooklyn with my family. But would a young MO family fit in anywhere? Moving from the UWS.

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:27 pm
Maybe Mill Basin? BP and Williamsburg are Chassidishe and completely out. Flatbush definitely has MO families, but they're scattered and dwindling. The average age at the Young Israel's seems to be creeping up rapidly. The Marine Park area is definitely not yeshivish, but neither is it MO. And while you ask about neighborhoods, you should also be concerned about schools you'll be happy with (and that will be happy with you), of which there aren't too many.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:32 pm
Manhattan beach sheepshead bay
Mill Basin

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:39 pm
doctorima wrote:
Maybe Mill Basin? BP and Williamsburg are Chassidishe and completely out. Flatbush definitely has MO families, but they're scattered and dwindling. The average age at the Young Israel's seems to be creeping up rapidly. The Marine Park area is definitely not yeshivish, but neither is it MO. And while you ask about neighborhoods, you should also be concerned about schools you'll be happy with (and that will be happy with you), of which there aren't too many.

Yes, I am curious about shuls and schools as well. I know about Yeshiva of Flatbush, but I hear it has become more Syrian and we are Ashkenaz. We are also LW MO if I had to classify us further.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:42 pm
Prospect heights

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:53 pm
Marine park does have some MO. Like the new type of MO they cover their hair, they wear skirts. Is that what you mean? Yeshiva of Flatbush is very Syrian and they are very proud of who they are. Rather stick to a school that is Ashkenazi. There is a HDS or prospect but that became a bit more conservative. There is alsp Shulamit again that is the New MO that cover their hair etc.

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:10 pm
If your kids are in pre-school through 8th grade, why not Luria Academy? Sounds perfect.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:37 pm
Thanks seqouia that school sounds really interesting, I had never heard of it. Other amother, I don't think that type of MO is new at all, but we are the more LW type.

Its not sounding like there are a lot of other young MO families like ours though.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:48 pm
Park Slope

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:59 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks seqouia that school sounds really interesting, I had never heard of it. Other amother, I don't think that type of MO is new at all, but we are the more LW type.

Its not sounding like there are a lot of other young MO families like ours though.

Look into prospect heights which is where luria academy is- this sounds like the community you are looking for

https://prospectheightsshul.org

doctorima

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 10:21 am
Before getting too excited about these other options, I'd recommend going to spend a Shabbos there to see them. My impression is that they're quite small, and certainly not growing with vibrant young families. The shul in Park Slope is mostly empty.

The closest thing I can think of in Flatbush proper is the high teens around I-J, which is not cheap, but does have a number of families who daven at YI of Ave. J, which has babysitting Shabbos morning and definitely has some young families. But I would describe them as more RW MO, so I'm not sure if that's what you want. Otherwise, as I said earlier, even if you find a neighborhood, make sure there's a thriving shul and school that you'll be comfortable with.

cheeseblintz

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 12:43 pm
there is really no reason for you to be in bklyn if you are lw modern orthodox.

sequoia

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 12:46 pm
cheeseblintz wrote:

That's not entirely accurate. There's lots of us, especially the younger crowd. There aren't LWMO neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean there aren't LWMO people.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 2:34 pm
Thanks for the suggestions! Is prospect heights a different place than park slope?

The reason I like brooklyn is because we are outgrowing our apartment in manhattan, but I like that brooklyn seems like a compromise between suburbs and urban life.

Sadie

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 2:41 pm
cheeseblintz wrote:

Not so. I know a lot of young LWMO people who live in Brooklyn. I used to live in Prospect Heights and while it's not a Jewish neighborhood per se I was able to have a very active Jewish social life there. It's where I would want to live if I ever moved back to New York.

doctorima

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 3:11 pm
If you just want to be in a more affordable part of NYC that's still semi-urban, you'd probably be happier in some parts of Queens, or the Willowbrook neighborhood in Staten Island.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 5:07 pm
Thanks doctorima but I'm not into queens and certainly not SI, if we don't do Brooklyn we will move to NJ or LI suburbs.

So just to confirm there's not MO really in Manhattan or Brighton beach that's all just Russian? And Flatbush is more to the right.

We will check our prospect hts thanks.

lar103

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:18 pm
Mill basin has LWMO, they also have a school right in the neighborhood and starting a highschool...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:27 pm
I'm going to look on maps but if you could post the general cross streets to where the Jewish part of the neighborhood you're referring to is that would be so helpful thanks!

lar103

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:55 pm
I would say from Ralph and mill Ave and on. Also worth looking into Flatbush park jewish center and mill basin yeshiva academy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries