Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Views of Haredim on Yom Hazikaron and Yom Haatsmaut

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:03 am
What are the views of Haredi/yeshivish people on Yom Hazikaron and Yom Haatzmaut? I am a Haredi/yeshishish woman but I grew up more modern.

salt

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:17 am
(This is my opinion)

Most relatively educated, sensible charedim believe that having a Jewish state is a wonderful miracle of our generation and a step in the right direction to the final redemption. But it is far from perfect, and does not merit celebrating and reciting Hallel, as the state as it is today, is not the ideal situation.
They obviously understand there is a necessity for a Jewish army, and respect soldiers who risk their lives on the front line, and mourn with families who have lost loved ones.

Most charedim believe that their role is to learn Torah, and want to keep their children more 'protected' from the secular world, at this impressionable stage in life, by keeping them in yeshiva. Most charedim would agree that a boy who is not seriously learning full time should serve in the army - although there is still a lot of social pressure not to (although I really think this is slowly changing, it will take a while but it will change).

My children go to charedi/yeshivish schools in Israel. They do have their fair share of teachers who say silly things - the funniest one being "only chilonim say hallel on yom Ha'atzmaut" - have you ever heard a chiloni say hallel?

But we, as parents, will all due respect for their teachers, politely teach them our views that we believe to be correct, and try and find an excuse for what the teacher is saying.

They also have very sensible braver teachers who teach them a little Jewish history and explain what it's all about.

I hope I'm right in saying that the hareidim who tear down flags, and demonstrate during the siren of Yom Hazikaron are an extremist, very immature minority, although they seem to make the headlines every year.

sequoia

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:33 am
They don't stand still for the siren and demonstratively continue moving and talking. Cuz it's what Hashem wants, clearly.

salt

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:34 am
..continuation from my post (sorry if I'm going on a bit)

One thing that does bother me is why the charedi minyanim don't say the tefilla for the state and for Tzahal on Shabbat.
Although our local yeshivish shul does say the tefilla for Tzhal in the early minyan (the gabbai is more Zionist I suppose), and on yom tov they do say yizkor for soldiers.

But for the majority of shuls that don't, I still haven't found a person I repsect that can give me a good enough answer to that one.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:46 am
sequoia wrote:
They don't stand still for the siren and demonstratively continue moving and talking. Cuz it's what Hashem wants, clearly.

My girls bais Yaakov in Yerushalaim has the girls stop and say a perek of tehilim during the siren both today and on Yom hashoa.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:48 am
The ones who tear down flags have a very solid background to their views. Their rabbonim do not want them causing property damage and the like.
Chareidim do not want their sons in the army for a variety of reasons.
There is much more history then what was posted above.
I believe that most chareidim do NOT believe that the state is any more part of the geulah then any other point in our history.
There is definitely secular media that plant themselves in select locations for the sirens. (My question is what are THEY doing during the siren?)

sequoia

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
The ones who tear down flags have a very solid background to their views. Their rabbonim do not want them causing property damage and the like.

I don't understand. Are they animals? Those are the only two options? How about, don't do either of those things, mind your own business, live and let live? No?

And they need rabbis to tell them not to damage property? Because just being a decent human being isn't enough?

Lymnok, I'm sure that's not your intention, but you make chareidim sound like awful people.

salt

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:57 am
amother wrote:
What are the views of Haredi/yeshivish people on Yom Hazikaron and Yom Haatzmaut? I am a Haredi/yeshishish woman but I grew up more modern.

Just like any group of people, no one's the same and not all have the same views. Everyone should have their own views.
What are *your* views? Develop your own views and have them.
Are you asking in order to find out what your views are meant to be?
Believe what you believe and zehu. You're asking in a strange way, OP.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics