Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler doesn't like to be read to...

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 6:54 pm
I hear that reading is super important for children.

My DS does not like it when I read to him. He just wants to turn the pages or chew on the book (board books). I don't always read the text - sometimes I just talk about it or repeat the main words "dog...dog...brown dog" etc

He's so not interested but I want to cultivate a love of reading!

Any tips?

yksraya

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 6:57 pm
He seems to young for that. Just wait till he gets a bit older and enjoys it.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:10 pm
How old is the child?

ttbtbm

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:12 pm
Keep it simple, short and engaging. And don't force him. Forcing him to sit and listen before he is ready will NOT foster positive feelings for reading.

sheep

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:21 pm
My kids hated reading as toddlers and are very bright.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:16 pm
How old is your child? Do not force him to read. If he wants to hold the book on his own and he wants to turn the pages let him.

cbg

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:38 pm
Sometimes toddlers like to "read" stories to mommy.
Let him tell you the story

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:46 pm
Lots of toddlers don't like being read to. Their attention spans are pretty short, so it can be hard to sit through the whole book (even if it's a short one). Don't think to hard about the "experts" and how many minutes a day you need to read to your kids. Those guidelines are for the parents who don't have homes filled with books and don't even know you're supposed to talk to babies in order to teach them to talk. If your home is full of books and you are exposing them to books, they'll pick it up, even of they can't sit through a story at 2 or 3. Also, make sure he sees you and dh reading. That makes a big impression. My parents always sat around and read after the seuda on Shabbos, so of course I did it too. I've always been a voracious reader. Only my oldest is old enough to read and he's heading in that direction too.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:16 pm
I wouldn't be worried either. Not wanting to sit and listen to a book as a toddler is no indication that he won't like reading as he gets older. Maybe he would like nursery rhymes? Doesn't involve a book, but uses lots of simple and repetitious language, and introduces kids to sound patterns that will help them later on when learning to read. And they can be fun to sing and act out together.

lucky14

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
If your home is full of books and you are exposing them to books, they'll pick it up, even of they can't sit through a story at 2 or 3. Also, make sure he sees you and dh reading. That makes a big impression. .

Agree. Keep lots of baby book around and let him look through them if he wants and let him turn the pages or chew on it (as long as it's not a safety issue) as long as he's enjoying- it will give him a good association with books. What you're doing- pointing out the main parts of the book- is great (does he seem interested in that?). When they say to read to your child they don't mean you have to read word for word what's in the book. They learn so much from being shown different pictures and having the things named.

Stars

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:02 pm
My toddler is very talkative, but has no patience for anyone to read to him. We have loads of books and just do the interactive ones, where he can show me what's happening in the story, or tell me what's going on in that page. Plus I talk to him loads. That's mostly what builds vocabulary at that age. Don't force him into an activity if he doesn't want it.

perquacky

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 1:51 pm
Try touch and feel books or books with lift-the-flaps. That way, you can read and he'll have something to keep him busy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics