Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
So,Organic recycling is coming to the Brooklyn in June
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:33 am
Got a mailer today that as of June, Brooklyn residents will be required to separate all organic material in a separate brown bin and put out for collection on the day the recycles comes.
Organic materials include all food, like chicken bones, Potato Peels, egg shells. Used Paper goods and Napkins. Twigs, grass clippings, and dead flowers.
These materials will be recycled into compost

Bring it on : Cheers

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:36 am
Welcome to the 21st century Applause

happy12

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 5:57 am
What area in Brooklyn? I know the heights and park slope do it already. They are phasing in neighborhoods slowly.

asmileaday

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:22 am
Probably just another way to be able to give tickets and generate revenue for the city...

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:44 am
My inlaws in Toronto have had it for years. A real pain. I hope they don't reduce garbage pickup because of it. Wonder why it's called organic?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
My inlaws in Toronto have had it for years. A real pain. I hope they don't reduce garbage pickup because of it. Wonder why it's called organic?

At least ten years. Not a pain. Becomes second nature.

Organic as opposed to inorganic.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:08 am
Lol. You fought the plastic bag ban (which while annoying where I live there are easy ways around it- always take a fold up bag with me if there is a chance I stop for groceries) and you get something way more time consuming!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
Got a mailer today that as of June, Brooklyn residents will be required to separate all organic material in a separate brown bin and put out for collection on the day the recycles comes.
Organic materials include all food, like chicken bones, Potato Peels, egg shells. Used Paper goods and Napkins. Twigs, grass clippings, and dead flowers.
These materials will be recycled into compost

Bring it on : Cheers

So basically all garbage that we currently dont put in the recycling bin will now be put in the regular garbage leaving us with the regular garbage and regular recycling. How would it be different than what we are already doing?

isrmss91

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:19 am
Basically we have to separate food scraps, like fruit, bones, dairy, prepared foods, food soiled paper, like napkins, towels, tea bags, and paper plates. Leaf & yard waste, like plants trimming, twigs, grass. We will have to further separate our trash into special bins to be collected once a week, some day as your paper recycles and glass & plastic recycles are picked up.

cnc

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
So basically all garbage that we currently dont put in the recycling bin will now be put in the regular garbage leaving us with the regular garbage and regular recycling. How would it be different than what we are already doing?

My thoughts as well.

isrmss91

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:21 am
happy12 wrote:
What area in Brooklyn? I know the heights and park slope do it already. They are phasing in neighborhoods slowly.

Right now, I see it says Brooklyn commmunity boards 2, 13 & 15. Brooklyn Heights, the Navy Yard, Coney Island, Gravesend, Homecrest, Kings Highway, Madison,
Seagate...
Doesn't seem like Boro Park will be phased yet, but it is coming...

isrmss91

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:27 am
cnc wrote:
My thoughts as well.

Yup pretty much. Except what we will have to be throwing out is used plastic disposibles, pretty much.
I don't mind to recycle. I do try to be environmentally conscious I try to compost coffee grounds, (especially good for roses & tomatoes) & veg peels already.
I just wish they would do pick up for the food scraps 2 a week. It is going to get pretty stinky, especially in the summer.

Last edited by isrmss91 on Wed, May 03 2017, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:08 am
It appears that the new Brooklyn neighborhoods will be Dyker Heights and Fort Hamilton. Does anyone know which area is officially known as the Fort Hamilton neighborhood?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:15 am
Where I live our garbage all gets picked up every 2 weeks. One week recycling and the next week general waste and organic waste. I have 2 big wheelie bins for recycling and 2 for general garbage because we have a lot of kids. Over pesach I used a lot of disposables but it meant we had more garbage then would fit in our bins. I realised I'd rather wash dishes then pick up garbage a fox has strewn all over our front yard.

I belong to a frum facebook recipe group which has a lot of brooklyn members. I'm pretty horrified how much disposables people on it use. Eg - making challah - one disposable foil pan per challa. Making fishsticks, fries and roast veggies for dinner? No problem, use 3 disposable pans! (I line cookie sheets with non stick paper for that type of thing. Not much washing up involved.) I guess if your garbage gets picked up multiple times per week instead of once every 2 weeks you don't think twice before filling up one entire binbag from serving one meal to your family.

The organic bin does get really gross and wormy. Less so if you don't put meat scraps in it I think. We have an insinkerator so don't use it too much.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:20 am
ra_mom wrote:
It appears that the new Brooklyn neighborhoods will be Dyker Heights and Fort Hamilton. Does anyone know which area is officially known as the Fort Hamilton neighborhood?

According to the map here, the Fort Hamilton neighborhood does not include the Fort Hamilton Parkway area that is in BP. It's closer to the 70s and Cropsey Ave.
https://www.apartments.com/loc.....n-ny/

pause

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:

Anything that was live (animal, plant, paper from tree...) at any point in time belongs in organic recycling.

Paper recycling and bottle recycling.

Then there's plastic plates and utensils, plastic bags, styrofoam, dirty pampers... all that belongs in regular garbage.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:

Because the wolf likes to dress up as a harmless and benevolent gramma so you won't think he's harmful. Organic sounds pretty well-intentioned, doesn't it...

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:31 pm
This is just gross!!!! Puke

zaq

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:40 pm
I would be happy to do this. Would make me feel much better about all the food we waste if I knew it was being composted.

yogabird

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:43 pm
zaq wrote:
I would be happy to do this. Would make me feel much better about all the food we waste if I knew it was being composted.

ditto
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics