Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
14k gold earrings that don't fall off kids' ears!

dina125

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:47 pm
I've had so many over the years and haven't found a style that stayed on well for my active girls. Anyone have any ideas?

DrMom

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:00 pm
They have screw-back earrings, but I think they are hard to put on (and take off, which I guess is the point...).

Small closed hoops with hinged closures would stay on.

But why not hold off on earrings if your girls are so active? Running around and playing is more important than having shiny ornaments in your ears at this age anyway.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:24 am
Loops for acrive kids is bad.
If they get stuck somewhere they can rip their ear.
It can happen with on ear earrings too, but the longer/bigger they are, the bigger the chance.

My kids have screw back earrings. And they BOTH mannaged to loose one. Dd1 lost one twice.
So I put a drop of glue into the back and screwed it in. So fsr so good.

The only downside to this is if it needs to be taken off for whatever reason, you'll have to break the post.

On ear like this.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:27 am
Just beware we had to have a screw back earring removed by a plastic surgeon because it got inbedded within the earlobe.

crust

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:32 am
Tzutzie wrote:

So I put a drop of glue into the back and screwed it in. So fsr so good.

The only downside to this is if it needs to be taken off for whatever reason, you'll have to break the post

Magna tac takes longer to dry but you can take the glue off. Grip any edge and pull it off.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:51 am
Captive bead hoops are the best for anyone who is really active. http://www.bodycircle.com/inde......html You need to have them put in/removed by a body piercer, because it requires a special type of pliers.

These are great for preventing infection, you can sleep in them, and they come in many different size of hoop and gauge. For little girls, I'd suggest a 12mm hoop, in a 14 gauge. 14 is the standard post size, and a small hoop will hug the ear and not get caught on things.

I am a huge fan of Bodycircle jewelry. I was close friends with the original owner for many years before he passed away, and his apprentices still polish each piece by hand. Everything is made in the US, with the highest purity of metals. There is no risk of getting ripped off by cheap alloys or bad workmanship. I wouldn't buy from anyone else.

If you're not sure what size to buy, you can call the shop and they will help you decide.

dina125

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:14 am
Thank you all very much for all the suggestions!

yogabird

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:39 am
lever backs?

Laiya

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:38 am
DrMom wrote:
They have screw-back earrings, but I think they are hard to put on (and take off, which I guess is the point...).

Small closed hoops with hinged closures would stay on.

But why not hold off on earrings if your girls are so active? Running around and playing is more important than having shiny ornaments in your ears at this age anyway.

This is what worked for my dds. The back of the earring goes inside the front--it closes as a full circle--so there's nothing for the hoop to get caught on.

My girls sleep with them and never take them off:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004.....DXGHU

esther11

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:31 am
Laiya wrote:
This is what worked for my dds. The back of the earring goes inside the front--it closes as a full circle--so there's nothing for the hoop to get caught on.

My girls sleep with them and never take them off:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004.....DXGHU

Do u think these would work for a 2 year old? Or too big?

Laiya

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:51 am
esther11 wrote:
Do u think these would work for a 2 year old? Or too big?

I think they'd be fine, they're pretty small and thin. That's why they work great for sleeping ime.

esther11

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:46 pm
Laiya wrote:
I think they'd be fine, they're pretty small and thin. That's why they work great for sleeping ime.

Thanks!

Laiya

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:48 pm
esther11 wrote:
Thanks!

Np!

Tzutzie

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 1:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Just beware we had to have a screw back earring removed by a plastic surgeon because it got inbedded within the earlobe.

My niece had that with the clear plastic backs. She had it on both ears.
The surgeon said that unlike popular belief, the gold backs are the best. Percentage whise the clear plastic backs were the backs he mostly takes out of poeples ears.

Also, he commented that it very much pends on the person. Some skin types / ear types are more prone to it.

Every few days (bath) I turn their earrings amd make sure the look ok from behind.

Another thing, screw backs only go so far, the don't let you squish the ear. (If the earring size is age apropriate. If a 12yo wears a newborn size, then it could get imbedded as the post isn't long. Any other push back can be, can be pushed back to far and that can grow in.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 1:02 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
My niece had that with the clear plastic backs. She had it on both ears.
The surgeon said that unlike popular belief, the gold backs are the best. Percentage whise the clear plastic backs were the backs he mostly takes out of poeples ears.

Also, he commented that it very much pends on the person. Some skin types / ear types are more prone to it.

Every few days (bath) I turn their earrings amd make sure the look ok from behind.

Another thing, screw backs only go so far, the don't let you squish the ear. (If the earring size is age apropriate. If a 12yo wears a newborn size, then it could get imbedded as the post isn't long. Any other push back can be, can be pushed back to far and that can grow in.

Ours were gold screw backs. Sad

Tzutzie

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 2:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Ours were gold screw backs. Sad

Poor kid. It can always happen with any back.
If it has happened before, it might happen again if it isn't watched. My niece doesn't want to wear earrings anymore. I can totally understand why.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:15 pm
op - where do you live? I took my girls to someone in lakewood and never had any issues. She pierces and gives great earrings that do not fall out - ever. Any issues and she is there to help. I have used her for myself (re-piercing) and my girls and if you can get to lakewood I highly recommend her. Her name is Rivky Abecasis. I'm sure there are recommended people in all areas. BTW, I know 2 people who had ears pierced by a dr, and they got infections and had to get re-pierced later on.

dina125

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:17 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
op - where do you live? I took my girls to someone in lakewood and never had any issues. She pierces and gives great earrings that do not fall out - ever. Any issues and she is there to help. I have used her for myself (re-piercing) and my girls and if you can get to lakewood I highly recommend her. Her name is Rivky Abecasis. I'm sure there are recommended people in all areas. BTW, I know 2 people who had ears pierced by a dr, and they got infections and had to get re-pierced later on.

Thanks, I'm not in Lakewood, but I do drive in every now & then. I appreciate the recommendation!

Thank you also to everyone else who's weighed in with their knowledge and experience!

L K

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 7:41 pm
lkwdlady wrote:

Aren't those supposed to be taken out after 4-6 weeks?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars