Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
I need help

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:07 am
I am not creative...even a bit, but my children are. They have asked me to make a summer night activity once a weeknight in the summer, and I will do my best to accommodate. Their age range is 6-12(three girls), and I need help. Can you all recommend craft activities that I can buy the materials for and they will do the decorating? One suggested making light switches with puffy paint, another picture frames. I need 8 weeks worth of this Smile I would really appreciate any and all ideas towards this endeavor.

emzod42

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:19 am
Tote bags with puffy paint/buttons/patches?
crochet bookmarks
duct tape wallets/clutches
painted wooden jewelry boxes
safety pin bracelets

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:21 am
I'm possibly the least crafty person in the world. Add to that that I am allergic to messes and freak out at the idea of paints or clay or glitter or anything messy in my house. But my girls also are always asking for projects. I learned how to make flowers out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners watching youtube videos and was able to teach it to my kids. They made beautiful arrangements. Highly recommend this craft - easy enough and very little mess - with something nice to show for it.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:30 am
Tie dye tee shirts

Make beaded necklaces

Learn to knit or crochet

Make soap

Decorate things with washi tape

Scrapbook with family photos

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:46 am
For containing messes, buy large cookie sheets. Insist that all crafts be done at the dining room table (or even better, on the deck or porch) and that the work be done on the cookie sheets. These are brilliant for containing glitter, glue drips, and runaway beads. It's a great way to keep track of pen caps, too.

Cleanup is a snap, and if the project is only half finished, it's easy to slide the whole sheet in a garbage bag to store for another day. Just stack them up and keep them on a side table for later use.

LULA

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:09 pm
You guys are amazing! I wish I was so creative. I like that idea about the cookie sheets.

crust

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:49 pm
I also like the idea about the cookiesheets.

You can make a small mosaic
Crunch art
Napkin rings beaded

zaq

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 1:45 pm
Google crafts for children. You will find not only ideas but also instructions, which I would think are even more important for an uncrafty person than the ideas are.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 1:47 pm
Succah decorations

esther malka

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 3:36 pm
Tie dye - tip outside in bathing suits to keep mess manageable. They sell kits at Michaels and Walmart. We've tie dyed leggings too for fun

Not super crafty but over pesach we did a puzzle, all ages participated and we used puzzle glue on top.

Check Martha Stewart for more ideas. Can even bake something fun with them.

Good luck! Have fun!

esther malka

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 3:37 pm
In more, blank canvases and the cheap acrylic paint from Walmart keeps my kids very entertained. You'd be surprised how great they are. Can also look for ideas to paint on Pinterest.
Cover your table with a disposable tablecloth for easy cleanup

cbs880

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:05 pm
buy headbands or plain barrettes. got to a craft store and stock up on ribbon, flowers, beads. You will need a hot glue gun too, with extra gluesticks.
have your girls create their own designs. you tube tutorials can teach your girls how to make almost anything. bows, flowers, etc.

If they are creative with food, I would make a decorating competition. Bake mini cakes. buy vanilla frosting, food coloring to change frosting color, and all kinds of toppings. Set timer for 20 min and see who makes the most original design. (taking age into consideration, of course) Might want to do this project outdoors where clean up is easier!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm possibly the least crafty person in the world. Add to that that I am allergic to messes and freak out at the idea of paints or clay or glitter or anything messy in my house. But my girls also are always asking for projects. I learned how to make flowers out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners watching youtube videos and was able to teach it to my kids. They made beautiful arrangements. Highly recommend this craft - easy enough and very little mess - with something nice to show for it.

Thanks for posting this. My dd is super creative and asks for projects but the mess makes me into a crazy person. I will try this.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:40 pm
esther malka wrote:
In more, blank canvases and the cheap acrylic paint from Walmart keeps my kids very entertained. You'd be surprised how great they are. Can also look for ideas to paint on Pinterest.
Cover your table with a disposable tablecloth for easy cleanup

Forget the table! What about the walls, chairs, clothes?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:42 pm
I give the kids wilton frosting tubes to decorate cookies and cup cakes. Since they come in self contained tubes they're not crazy messy.

esther malka

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
Forget the table! What about the walls, chairs, clothes?

Smocks - ikea has nice ones
Paint stays at the table, haven't had a big problem with this, but it is washable for the spots that escape

seeker

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:15 am
cbs880 wrote:
buy headbands or plain barrettes. got to a craft store and stock up on ribbon, flowers, beads. You will need a hot glue gun too, with extra gluesticks.
have your girls create their own designs. you tube tutorials can teach your girls how to make almost anything. bows, flowers, etc.

If they are creative with food, I would make a decorating competition. Bake mini cakes. buy vanilla frosting, food coloring to change frosting color, and all kinds of toppings. Set timer for 20 min and see who makes the most original design. (taking age into consideration, of course) Might want to do this project outdoors where clean up is easier!

Great ideas!

One possible strategy is to physically walk into Michael's or the like. You may just walk into ideas there. Even just looking at pictures on the packages could help. And it's not "cheating" to buy a ready-made kit for something. Michael's has a store brand and coupons so it doesn't need to be expensive.

Also, if your kids are crafty, they won't need so much direction from you. You can just set out materials and they'll figure out what to do - like their puff paint light switch idea. No mom craftiness required - just something to work on (light switch plates) and something to work with (paint.) You can apply the same model to anything: something to work on = tote bags, something to work with = paint markers. etc etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics