Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood: how hard is it to get into Bais Yaakov or Oros?!
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:31 pm
I applied to 4 but only wanted those 2. I didn't get any responses yet. Does it have to do with the schools the girls are coming from? Am I being unrealistic?? I did choose like the top 4.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
I applied to 4 but only wanted those 2. I didn't get any responses yet. Does it have to do with the schools the girls are coming from? Am I being unrealistic?? I did choose like the top 4.

I will say this nicely and slowly...if you don't have incredible pull, your daughter doesn't have top grades, you aren't very yeshivish then YES

Simple1

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
I will say this nicely and slowly...if you don't have incredible pull, your daughter doesn't have top grades, you aren't very yeshivish then YES

But I'll give you the good news...the top schools are not always necessarily better than the rest of them.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:58 pm
My daughter has B"H top marks, AND the principle of Oros fondly remembered teaching me 20 years ago. And we still got a rejection letter from Oros.
Just sayin'...

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:

Is this what your dd wants or you do?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:38 pm
I went myself to one of those schools 20 years ago. So I kinda think I have pull. also, both me and my daughter I think feel like its something we want.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter has B"H top marks, AND the principle of Oros fondly remembered teaching me 20 years ago. And we still got a rejection letter from Oros.
Just sayin'...
do you have other options right now?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
do you have other options right now?

Yes, Baruch Hashem my daughter was accepted by a school that is less "elite" but perfectly good. That's where she will be going.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:46 pm
I guess it was one of your choices?
Also if someone picks the 4 hardest to get into does it mean they will get into one of them for sure? What do they base it on?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
I guess it was one of your choices?
Also if someone picks the 4 hardest to get into does it mean they will get into one of them for sure? What do they base it on?

Nothing is for sure. Three of my daughter's closest friends weren't accepted anywhere (yet). One is a girl from a super-tznius, super-yeshivish kollel family, and the other two are from families in chinuch! Go figure.
Yes, the school that accepted her was one of our choices. Oros may have "looked" good, but I don't know how truly happy she would have been there. She's a quiet introvert who doesn't appreciate unnecessary pressure, even if she currently gets good grades.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:12 pm
How did oros which only recently opened get such a good name? I know the principal and she is really a good person.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
How did oros which only recently opened get such a good name? I know the principal and she is really a good person.

They opened in 2009. In Lakewood it doesn't take much for a school to become sought-after. The right hanhala plus being a little bit selective...

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:50 pm
Oros really just got its good name
Last year and really by default because it's impossible To get into Bais yaakov without major pull and there is no where else to go. Bais kaila is now building up their name and by next year it will also be considered a really
Good School.

In Lakewood schools get sought after really
Fast because of supply and demand.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:51 pm
BY is murder to get into.

Oros is easier to get into but their level in learning is mighty high!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:53 pm
I know a lot of people that go to oros that are not into academics at all. I think it's just a name they gave themselves to stand above the rest.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:58 pm
Bais Kaila is supposed to be also very good girls. In the beginning I got worried when I heard my cousin was going there. In the end my cousin had huge success and she really did well. Her friends that went to other schools turned out to be not the best students.

debsey

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:20 am
amother wrote:
I went myself to one of those schools 20 years ago. So I kinda think I have pull. also, both me and my daughter I think feel like its something we want.
if it was 20 years ago it was bais Yaakov. You were probably from the first classes. If so, you probably have shaychus to your old teachers. Call them! It's time to push and push some more.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:23 am
I don't think its the same principal anymore, and as far as teachers, I don't think they Can help me much..

debsey

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think its the same principal anymore, and as far as teachers, I don't think they Can help me much..
Mrs. Shechter has been the principal of BY from day one.

Queen6

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:48 pm
Stop pushing so hard to BY and Oros. There are other great schools. What is so special about those? Stop making yourself crazy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics