Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you explain why this isn't kosher?
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:15 pm
The location is a teacher's lounge, with a hot water kettle and coffee maker for capsules. There are both Jewish and non Jewish staff. There are a couple teachers that keep a ceramic mug at school for coffee. All the coffee, milk, sugar etc are provided by the school. Is there any reason why a ceramic mug would render a hot water kettle non kosher if a teacher was making coffee?

Just curious because some signs went up on the machines prohibiting use of non disposable mugs and some teachers are confused as to why.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:17 pm
Maybe people were leaving dirty mugs lying around? Are you sure it's for kashrus reasons?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:19 pm
I can't think of any good reason. A mug is a kli sheini. Sounds like some one is making stuff up

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe people were leaving dirty mugs lying around? Are you sure it's for kashrus reasons?

No, fairly sure not. I mean, it has been a problem at some schools I've worked at but it's literally only two or three teachers. Non Jewish teachers, and the sign says that the kettle is kosher and that's why.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
No, fairly sure not. I mean, it has been a problem at some schools I've worked at but it's literally only two or three teachers. Non Jewish teachers, and the sign says that the kettle is kosher and that's why.

Or maybe people are t washing their dishes...

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:40 pm
Pouring hot water into a mug filled with non-kosher instant oatmeal. Now you have non kosher steam rising up into the kettle. However- that would be an issue also with paper cups - so I'm at a loss.

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:49 pm
Ask the hanhala.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:58 pm
Are they members of the "Chumra of the Month Club"?

I hear if you sign up for a year in advance, you get an extra chumra for free. Confused

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:00 pm
Maybe someone dropped and smashed a ceramic mug, someone else or the same person was hurt by flying shards and is now suing the school or claiming workers' comp.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:02 pm
If the urn switch was put on by a non Jew it maybe considered cooked by a non Jew. (Some people hold that).

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:04 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:04 pm
If the mugs they brought were from home, and they ate treif chicken soup in it, that would be a kashrut problem. Hot steam rising from a treif cup.
Kashering the spigot first, by allowing some hot water out, would solve the problem, but I'm not a rabbi

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
Pouring hot water into a mug filled with non-kosher instant oatmeal. Now you have non kosher steam rising up into the kettle. However- that would be an issue also with paper cups - so I'm at a loss.

That's what I thought. I couldn't see why a disposable cup would be any better. There isn't any restriction on staff bringing in other foods and people do make oatmeal or soup or powdered drinks from home.

It just seemed very petty since it was a couple non Jewish staff that had started bringing in ceramic mugs because they wanted to use less disposable, then the signs turned up and I was at a loss as to explain it to them.

It's on both machines too, I guess I'd understand if one machine was going to be reserved for kosher and one non kosher.

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
If the urn switch was put on by a non Jew it maybe considered cooked by a non Jew. (Some people hold that).

Doesn't explain the "disposable cups only" rule.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 5:47 pm
No, there is no kashrut issue

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 6:04 pm
OP - I hope you ask the administration. I wonder if they are also concerned about confusion about sponges that wash the mugs.

Parents - wondering where your tuition is going? Disposables for the teachers.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:

It's a kli sheini. Pretty sure that doesn't matter.

seeker

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
OP - I hope you ask the administration. I wonder if they are also concerned about confusion about sponges that wash the mugs.

Yes OP please let us know what the admin says. You have hundreds of extremely puzzled imamotherers hanging on for your answer Very Happy

sequoia

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:19 pm
I'd quit.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 1:57 am
amother wrote:

I wish. Where my DD teaches, they have to provide their own drinks Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen