Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What halachic issues should I anticipate: College on Shabbos
1  2  Next

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 11:42 am
Hey,

After years of hard work, I'm graduating college with highest honors. So much so, that I was informed that I will be honored the college's highest award during a special ceremony. So naturally that ceremony is scheduled on a shabbos afternoon around 7pm, lol!

After some discussion with my husband we made the decision to spend shabbas with our kids at a nearby hotel around the corner from school, and to attend the ceremony.

The ceremony is not a religious one, nor will I be asked to speak, so no mic issue.

Anyone have any ideas about any other shabbos issues that may arise during the ceremony? I would like to ask my Rav before hand.

Thanks in Advance!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 11:43 am
My grandfather who was the first frum lawyer in the USA didnt

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 11:50 am
Wow Im so happy for you!!
Electronic doors. Corridors lighting up when you pass them.

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:

Didn't what?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:

He has my respect, But not asking for hashkafa input, only halacha.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
Wow Im so happy for you!!
Electronic doors. Corridors lighting up when you pass them.

Thank you!! I also just thought about another one, posing for the campus photographer.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:07 pm
you may need to 'sign in'? ask the school. Also would you be comfortable posing for pictures?

Congrats on your accomplishment.

agreer

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:11 pm
Carrying - make sure not to take anything like a program out of the building (unless Shabbos is over by then). You may want to ask a classmate to save you one, especially if your name will be in it.

Go to the bathroom beforehand, to avoid toilet paper tearing, electronic sinks/soap dispensers, etc
If your kids are coming, make sure they go to the bathroom, too, and eat snacks/dinner before going.

I can't think of anything else so ask your rav how to do it. Good luck!

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:46 pm
OMG it sounds like a spaceship in American universities!! shock

sequoia

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:52 pm
It really depends, Ruchel. Some buildings are older. In my university most of my classes (literature, languages, philosophy) were in old buildings with normal doors, soap dispensers, etc. Nothing electronic. Many of the science lectures and labs, on the other hand, were held in much newer buildings.

sequoia

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:54 pm
agreer wrote:

Go to the bathroom beforehand, to avoid toilet paper tearing, electronic sinks/soap dispensers, etc
If your kids are coming, make sure they go to the bathroom, too!

That's a bit extreme. If you gotta go, you gotta go.

There are sure to be tissues somewhere.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:47 pm
No answers at all, but mazel tov on this accomplishment, and hatzlacha with the next step!

Miri7

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 3:21 pm
Mazal tov on the award!

I think that giving a heads-up to whomever is running the program that you are coming, but that it will be Shabbat, so you won't be able to talk into the mic, etc. would be a good idea. That can prevent the uncomfortable situation of someone making a last-minute decision to ask you to say a few words or something.

Otherwise, you can go check out the building where it's being held and see if there are any issues (like the automatic doors, etc). When we are going to be in odd places on Shabbat, I will find a place to drop off a bag with some essentials - snack for kids, kleenex, etc, to have on hand when we arrive in the building. You may or may not want to do this, largely depending on the age of your kids and how long you will be away from your hotel.

emzod42

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 4:12 pm
You'll need someplace to put your award or someone to hold it for you if there are eruv issues. Also if you need to show ID or something when you get there to go onto the student section.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
Hey,

After years of hard work, I'm graduating college with highest honors. So much so, that I was informed that I will be honored the college's highest award during a special ceremony. So naturally that ceremony is scheduled on a shabbos afternoon around 7pm, lol!

After some discussion with my husband we made the decision to spend shabbas with our kids at a nearby hotel around the corner from school, and to attend the ceremony.

The ceremony is not a religious one, nor will I be asked to speak, so no mic issue.

Anyone have any ideas about any other shabbos issues that may arise during the ceremony? I would like to ask my Rav before hand.

Thanks in Advance!

Mazal Tov!

naomi2

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 4:20 pm
Sounds like however much you prepare, there will be halachic pitfalls and it certainly won't be in the spirit of shobbos. Even the hotel will be tricky. How will you keep your kids busy the entire shobbos in a hotel room?

amother
White

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 4:29 pm
I know you don't want hashkafic input, but know that you have other options. My husband just had a similar situation, he was awarded an honor that is given once every 2 years by the college. The ceremony was on Shabbos. He explained the situation and asked to have the award mailed to him. The school was disappointed that he wouldn't attend but that was it, no drama or shailos to deal with.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 5:45 pm
Mazel Tov!

I recently did the same thing (although not as prestigious!) I received an award and it was made clear to me I needed to be at the conference where it would be presented. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with our Rav talking about possible things that might come up. In the end it went very smoothly and the only trouble I ran into was signing in (I just didn't do it).

I think the best thing you can do is exactly what you're doing, try to imagine all the possible pitfalls and their solution, and then hopefully all your planning will be for naught and the day goes wonderfully.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:25 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Sounds like however much you prepare, there will be halachic pitfalls and it certainly won't be in the spirit of shobbos. Even the hotel will be tricky. How will you keep your kids busy the entire shobbos in a hotel room?

That's the easy part: Food, games, books. Almost the same way you keep them busy on a normal Shabbos, just without going to Shul or to friends. I stayed in many hotels for Shabbos as a child, and have only fond memories.

OP, you may want to keep in mind the issue of electronic doors in the hotel room if you go in and out on Shabbos. Also the use of the stairs may trigger an alarm system, so work that out before as well.

Mazal Tov!

byisrael

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 3:59 am
Automatic lights

electronic doors

signing in
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions