Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to handle upcoming CSE meeting?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 10:05 am
I had my 4.5 year-old referred for CPSE this past year b/c he was having some anxiety issues--not talking about his problems causing him to shut down which lead to us getting very frustrated with him. Significant tantrums, not listening at home, behaving dangerously and impulsively at times. We were really going nuts with him.

Went through the evaluation--he's VERY bright, not great at expressing himself (but not a language delay) and a bit of a perfectionist--which adds up to anxiety. He got approved for counseling, but they haven't been able to find a provider for him all year.

He's gotten MUCH better, I've tried prompting him to talk more about his problems and that we can help him when we know what the problem is and he does seem to be coming around.

I have his CSE meeting coming up next week, and I don't know if I should fight for continued services b/c his issues aren't so much at school, but manifesting at home. B/c of the 13 IEP categories--the only one would be "Emotionally disturbed" but I dont' know if he's really at that stage anymore--earlier this year, I would've been satisfied calling "a spade, a spade". Im just annoyed that I went through the whole evaluation process, and got nothing out of it.

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 11:36 am
Sorry you didn't post this earlier - I would have asked CPSE for OT, SEIT, and maybe also speech therapy. I know it sounds a little backward but counseling is nearly impossible to find and the other therapists can really help with things like this. For example, and OT can do a lot for emotional regulation, speech therapy can work on expressive language which could help him communicate his frustrations, and SEIT can support all of these goals within the classroom. CPSE is generally easier to talk to than CSE.

Now that you're up to turning 5, you'll have to work a lot harder to get anything and may want to talk to an advocate. Did you have the turning 5 psychoeducational testing yet? Because they might come up with a category for him. You can definitely play up the expressive language angle. And have his current teachers talk about how concerned they are that his difficulties will prevent him from making appropriate progress within the general education curriculum next year. That's a harder argument to make than showing a delay that's already happened, but I have been there and done that. Again, you may want to talk to an advocate. It doesn't have to be expensive if all you're looking for is a consultation for advice as to what you should say at your meeting.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 1:24 pm
seeker wrote:
Sorry you didn't post this earlier - I would have asked CPSE for OT, SEIT, and maybe also speech therapy. I know it sounds a little backward but counseling is nearly impossible to find and the other therapists can really help with things like this. For example, and OT can do a lot for emotional regulation, speech therapy can work on expressive language which could help him communicate his frustrations, and SEIT can support all of these goals within the classroom. CPSE is generally easier to talk to than CSE.

Now that you're up to turning 5, you'll have to work a lot harder to get anything and may want to talk to an advocate. Did you have the turning 5 psychoeducational testing yet? Because they might come up with a category for him. You can definitely play up the expressive language angle. And have his current teachers talk about how concerned they are that his difficulties will prevent him from making appropriate progress within the general education curriculum next year. That's a harder argument to make than showing a delay that's already happened, but I have been there and done that. Again, you may want to talk to an advocate. It doesn't have to be expensive if all you're looking for is a consultation for advice as to what you should say at your meeting.

I begged the school psychologist during the initial evaluation for additional evaluations--and she reluctantly gave into me for an OT eval--but he scored within normal limits, she wouldn't even consider a speech eval. He scored High Average to Superior in all areas of cognitive--with the exception of social-emotional--so couldn't really go the SEIT route. I was told that b/c all the testing is current, they aren't doing anything different for CSE. The school psychologist who will be conducting the meeting will be basing the decision on my "input." She said that likely he'll get approved for the counseling again, but I just don't know if I want to stick him with an ED label, or hope that as he matures he'll develop better coping skills.

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:34 pm
It's history now, but you can definitely have SEIT for social-emotional. That expires after preschool, though.

I would definitely suggest talking to an advocate before your meeting. Like I said if you just want a little consultation for advice for yourself, it shouldn't set you back too much.

Unless you are pretty confident that you can meet your child's needs through non-DOE channels such as health insurance.

amother
Red

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
I begged the school psychologist during the initial evaluation for additional evaluations--and she reluctantly gave into me for an OT eval--but he scored within normal limits, she wouldn't even consider a speech eval.

I thought that a parent can request ANY eval. Speech, OT, PT... How could the school psychologist deny your request for a speech eval?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
I thought that a parent can request ANY eval. Speech, OT, PT... How could the school psychologist deny your request for a speech eval?

I learned this past year that they have a right to refuse an evaluation if they don't feel it's necessary. That was a very hard pill to swallow because I felt my child really needed to be evaluated for PT due to a tripping issue. It seems that some school districts are harder to deal with than others. But you can always try again.

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I learned this past year that they have a right ro refuse an evaluation if they don't feel it's necessary. That was a very hard pill to swallow because I felt my child really needed to be evaluated. It seems that some school districts are harder to deal with than others. But you can always try again.

This may be true if you're requesting something more specific but I am pretty sure they are still not allowed to refuse to evaluate a child altogether. So it probably depends who you get, because if the person doing the initial evaluation is sympathetic then they'll agree to write in their report that they recommend further specific evaluations.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:18 pm
They agree to an OT eval but not PT. The agency felt bad but said the board has a right to refuse. We were in a new school district this year and were told is was because of who we were dealing with. This was CPSE.
When we had the switch over meeting for CSE they were surpised she was refused and said we could request another.

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:20 pm
Weird! Sorry you got burned. I always wear my tiger mom or mama bear or rabid t-rex or whatever hat necessary to my DOE conversations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics