Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
ISO the literally easiest shabbos menu ever
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:11 pm
I had a crazy overstuffed week, am behind in everything, under the weather, cleaning lady unavailable, every single thing in my kitchen is dirty, and I'm on my way home with nothing ready for shabbos. I just literally can't.

We cannot have takeout due to sensitive food allergies, plus I don't even know if anything is available locally at this hour even if it would be verifiably clean. I do think I could swing a run to the non-Jewish supermarket for supplies.

I'm tempted to just go with peanut butter sandwiches for all three meals but feel that I need something at least marginally more shabbosdig.

I could theoretically wash a pot or two if I really need to, which I guess I do.

I have aluminum pans and oven available but nothing too exciting to put in them. When I get home will check if there are chicken cutlets in the freezer.
Really I just want to sleep.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:14 pm
For me the easiest is garlic chicken for Friday night (put some peeled garlic cloves between skin and the chicken. Sprinkle chicken with oil, garlic powder paprika salt pepper and onion powder. Bake covered at 325 for 2.5 hours and then uncovered for 45 minutes. But if you're short on time you can bake at higher temp for longer.) my easiest side dish is lettuce with cherry tomatoes and store bought dressing.

Shabbos day I would do cholent and deli if I was in need of something quick.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:16 pm
When I need crazy easy I broil a pc of salmon, make a pan of chicken and rice and make a bag of frozen veg like broccoli or brussel sprouts for a side. All in foil pans. I get ice cream or cookies for dessert. Make enough for shabbos lunch too.

noosheen

Are u me????

Following ...

seeker

I definitely don't have chicken. Didn't have a chance to go shopping since I ran out. I might have cutlets but not sure. I definitely have ground meat but that's already not so easy, and I also have some club meat or something like that which I probably don't have enough time to cook before Shabbos because I couldn't think straight in advance so it's frozen solid and then needs a few hours of cooking to get soft Sad And the only fish I own is canned tuna.

I literally never ever ever feel this way, but I really feel like skipping Shabbos this week :'(

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:18 pm
Can you make a one pan entree (main, side, veg) for tonight and a one pot stew for tomorrow that can be thrown into the cockpit and left alone? Cut up a fresh salad tomorrow to go along with it.
http://tiphero.com/honey-balsa.....cken/
Use whatever potatoes and vegetables you have on hand. Whatever sauce or spice ingredients suit your fancy.
You can easily just use 2 separate pans and just bake the potatoes and vegetables mixed together for longer, and cutlets for a shorter amount if time.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, May 05 2017, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

ckk

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:20 pm
Chicken and whatever veg you have in house in a soup.

Open up can of tuna if you have to be used as a fish.

Buy lettuce, tomatoes, can of corn, etc to be used to make pleanty salads which you could make on shabbos.

Boil eggs, peel and mash on shabbos.

Also buy potatoes beans onion and throw in a pot for cholent.

You have there two courses of food per seuda.

Prep time max ten minutes. Excluding shopping trip.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:21 pm
You can make a meatloaf. Its super easy.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:21 pm
Club steak is delicious broiled or seared for just a few minutes. But only if it's actually club steak.
But maybe use that for an easy shabbos day stew.

pizza4

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:23 pm
I can't imagine starting shabbos cooking now! Wow you really work late!
If you have chicken in the freezer, defrost it slightly in the microwave, pour bbq sauce over and bake. Have fish in the freezer too? Put it in pan with some water and sugar and carrot and bake covered. Frozen potato knishes? Frozen vegetables? Same. Fill in the spaces with fresh vegetables. Have cans? Like pineapple or other fruit? Use that too.
I sometimes use canned potatoes. They were invented for us.
You can do this. Shabbos in one hour, no prob.

tichellady

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:28 pm
Buy a box or two of the imagination blended vegetable soups, buy a piece of salmon and broil with teriyaki sauce and make white rice in the rice cooker, buy cherry tomatoes and cucumbers and make Israeli salad. That's dinner

Make a pot of pasta and buy Italian dressing
Lunch can be deli or lox and challah and tomatoes and avacadoes, buy ice cream or sorbet for dessert

For seudah shlishit have tuna salad and mix the pasta with Italian dressing (and cut up veggies if you want)

I'm sorry you are having a hard week. I hope shabbos is relaxing and next week is better

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:32 pm
I used to prepare Shabbos all earlier in the week or latest Thursday night. But I got a drop lazy about that after daylight savings time. Plus this week was just C.R.A.Z.Y. Appointments every single day after work and meetings half the nights and sinuses attacked by the weather. CRAZY. And I just couldn't think more than an hour or so in advance. Hence frozen solid meat.

I've never heard of club steak getting edible within a few minutes but I could take my chances I guess?! How would I know if it's "actually" club steak?

No chicken. No cutlets. Just the ground meat and the club meat. I guess meatloaf is a possibility. Is there any way I could make a meat stew that would stay on the crockpot until tomorrow and NOT taste like cholent? Because no one here likes cholent and IME things that stay in the crockpot overnight all taste the same.

I have a small amount of frozen broccoli that can probably last one meal, I might have a can of potatoes I can look for. I think I have sweet potatoes I can do.... something with. There's only one person who doesn't eat that.

Salads are always a given here. I will need to buy new veggies but I already reconciled to the idea of a store run.

I had my coffee. I had my chocolate. Time to get going. Also need to bathe some kids because they all spent yesterday farmed out to friends while I had yet another ridiculously dragged out meeting.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:34 pm
If you have or can get chicken -- make a bed of potatoes, cut up onions, fresh garlic if you have it. Put the chicken on top and season the whole pan with garlic powder, paprika, etc. Bake for about an hour and a half. You can also add sweet potatoes, carrots, and/or zuchinni sliced in chunks (not too thin). For dessert cut up fruit or something bought. That's friday night. For shabbbos day the same chicken plus salads and spreads.

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:36 pm
My mother, bless her soul, just offered to send over chicken soup Heart Heart Heart With no chicken in it, though. So it will hopefully help the mood and the colds, but not the menu much. It will probably come with some surprise dessert because she knows how terribly I deprive my children of junk food. Smile Things are looking up!

(and before you ask, my laptop lives on my kitchen counter, that's why. It's my desk.)

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:38 pm
In other good news, I just found that I did not use my crockpot last shabbos or since, so there IS actually one thing in this house that does not require washing! I wonder if my cleaning lady can come twice next week...

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:44 pm
As long as it says club steak you're good. You mentioned you have some club meat or something like that so I said if it is actual club steak and not something else you can broil or sear it.
Best eaten fresh. But if waiting a bit, wrap / seal, each steak separately, tightly in silver foil

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:52 pm
I'm doing a lazy shabbos this week. Dinner tonight - Simple meatloaf with some cut up potatoes and carrots around it. If I feel like it I'll mix some canned tuna and mayo before dinner. Lunch - cholent. That's it. And I have salad stuff in the fridge if I'm inclined to bother.

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 4:54 pm
Anyone have a magic easy meatloaf recipe? I never made meatloaf.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:03 pm
This one
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:05 pm
seeker wrote:
Anyone have a magic easy meatloaf recipe? I never made meatloaf.

Mix 1 cup tomato sauce with 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce (or not ... I often forget). Reserving about 2 Tbsp of mixture, mix that well into 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef. Add 6 Tbsp flour, and whatever spices your like -- we use garlic and onion. Place on meatloaf pan, bake, covered, at 400 degrees 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove foil, pour off any fat, slice meatloaf, pour reserved sauce over top, bake another 30 minutes.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note