Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby whisperer or no cry solution?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:39 pm
What book do u recommend for sleep training? Why Nad what's the difference? Thank you so much!

lucky14

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:09 pm
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Was the best for us. I read the other two also. No cry solution wasn't so helpful for me. I didn't feel like it was practical for my child. I don't remember what about it, maybe it was too vague? Maybe I felt like my baby needed something more? Sleep whisperer helped for SOME things, but the whole pick up put down thing did not work. Also I realized that my child just took short naps so trying to get him to take anything more than a 30 minute nap just made him SO upset and he was a happy baby so why mess with that? (she stresses trying to get them to go back to sleep for longer naps). Baby whisperer was very helpful for us when it came to night feedings though.

Healthy sleep habits happy child was what I eventually used to get him to go to sleep on his own. It's kind of cry it out, but I modified it a bit and I felt like my baby wasn't traumatized or anything.

So I guess my answer is read a few of them and see what works best for your baby! take parts of each "method" or "style" and create your own sleep solution for you and your baby.

anonymrs

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:20 pm
No cry sleep solution worked great for us. Baby whisperer did not work at all, I felt like it ended up being too harsh for my child while no cry sleep solution was more gentle and slow, which I personally prefer.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 11:28 pm
Another vote for No Cry to Sleep Solution. It is such a gentle, wonderful approach that is so beneficial for baby. Such a great read!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 4:38 pm
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child was amazing for us. In addition to the helpful techniques (essentially, it's cry it out, which worked great and quickly for us), this book also has tons of information on how much sleep and ant what times your baby should be sleeping - just understanding the general biological clock for babies and kids of every age really helped us understand when she was tired, which helped us get her to sleep better.

Baby Whisperer actually made things worse, because her process is eat-awake-sleep, and our baby's natural rhythm is awake-eat-sleep. We didn't realize this and we we tried to force her into the Baby Whisperer pattern, she started sleeping and eating worse. So if you use the baby whisperer, make sure to adapt it to your baby's natural rhythm, as some do eat-awake-sleep, and some do awake-eat-sleep.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 4:40 pm
a vote for.... generations of mothers who figured this out without a 'method'.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
a vote for.... generations of mothers who figured this out without a 'method'.

Maybe those mothers were tired unnecessarily, and maybe their children never got into a good sleep routine...

Another vote for healthy habits or whatever it's called (I always get confused by that book title)

agreer

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 9:41 pm
Yet another vote for Weissbluth's healthy sleep habits book... It works!

I also used 12 hours by 12 weeks when my baby was 6 months old to help him sleep through the night... But that was only once he could fall asleep on his own via Weissbluth

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:18 pm
agreer wrote:
Yet another vote for Weissbluth's healthy sleep habits book... It works!

I also used 12 hours by 12 weeks when my baby was 6 months old to help him sleep through the night... But that was only once he could fall asleep on his own via Weissbluth

Does he do the cry it out method?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
Does he do the cry it out method?

Yes.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:43 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Yes.

Oh OK, I was looking for methods without cio