Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sandals for first pair shoes?
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:04 am
can I put on saltwater sandals as first pair of shoes for my DD who just learnt how to walk?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:09 am
NO! I wouldn't put them on ever. They don't hold the foot.
Would you be comfortable with so little shoe support?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:14 am
I'd do the "Sharks" model.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:14 am
Np. As long as they are walking well in them.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:15 am
No.
There are very supportive sandals.
Personally, I love stride rite shoes for first time walkers (approved by a top orthopaedic surgeon) or something similar with supportive leather and soft flexible soles.

After a full year of walking, not very supportive sandals with soft soles are fine. But for new walkers, those (chunky looking) supportive sandal-shoes are a good choice.

Iirc, the saltwater sandals have very rigid unbendable sole which is only for older children.

gold21

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:39 am
If you can you get more supportive sandals than the saltwater sandals, that would be a better purchase for your baby.

gande

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:43 am
I did it twice and was very happy . Kids walked well and were comfortable.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:05 am
I like soft soled shoes for the first six months. And Velcro closure. A toddler doesn't have patience for buckles or laces.

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 7:42 am
I don't know what these are but everything I've read and heard says that first shoes should have a soft flexible sole for their first shoes.

Stars

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 8:03 am
I wouldn't do it

Zehava

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 8:13 am
I did it. He's walking just fine. The myth about supportive shoes for first time walkers has been debunked. Sandals give their feet more flexibility and room to breathe than regular shoes.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 8:41 am
Zehava wrote:
I did it. He's walking just fine. The myth about supportive shoes for first time walkers has been debunked. Sandals give their feet more flexibility and room to breathe than regular shoes.

Most sandals do, but saltwater sandals don't.
I prefer closed toe sandals if they will be serving as shoes for the summer.

Zehava

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:13 am
I was actually thinking of getting different sandals this year cause the other designs are just so cute. But then again I need them to be this indestructible. So saltwater it is again.

Miri7

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 11:27 am
For my early walkers I get sandals that are closed-toe as they tend to get the front caught a lot. We found good ones at stride rite like another poster mentioned.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:21 pm
I would only use a soft soled shoe like Robeez. Kids need to be able to feel the ground when they walk. The feedback they get through feeling different surfaces is important for brain development and balance.

By using hard soled shoes, you not only risk making the feet develop in the shape of a shoe, you are basically making their feet "blind" to their environment.

This is on the advice of our pediatrician, not just my theory.

DD wore soft shoes until Robeez didn't make her size anymore, and then we found genuine moccasins for her (not the rubber sole type.) For a long time, her only other shoes were rain boots, so she could jump in puddles.

(Robeez are also flippin' adorable, and I wish they came in my size! The patterns are too cute for words.)

gold21

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:25 pm
Zehava wrote:

While the "rules" have relaxed a bit, thankfully, the importance of ankle support has​ not been debunked. I love the idea of sandals as a first shoe (weather dependent of course). Supportive sandals, that is. There are many really cute options.

cm

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:28 pm
Another vote for soft, flexible shoes for the new walker.

Sandals tend to collect debris, and if open-toed, can contribute to tripping. Also, be careful that the straps aren't rubbing.

gold21

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:35 pm
cm wrote:
Another vote for soft, flexible shoes for the new walker.

Sandals tend to collect debris, and if open-toed, can contribute to tripping. Also, be careful that the straps aren't rubbing.

I like the soft, flexible idea.

But, I haven't seen that sandals collect debris. I myself like to wear CLOSED TOE sandals when it's hot out, so breathable. I love closed toe sandals, so why not for my kids too. Cool.

OK I admit that I'm very into breathable footwear. I'm a little biased on this subject. LOL Haha.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:40 pm
gold21 wrote:
While the "rules" have relaxed a bit, thankfully, the importance of ankle support has​ not been debunked. I love the idea of sandals as a first shoe (weather dependent of course). Supportive sandals, that is. There are many really cute options.

I never heard of that, nor can I find evidence in a fast google.

First shoes should be flexible. Well fitting, particularly in the heel, so that the foot doesn't move forward. Grippy sole.

I would think that a closed-toe sandal would be fine, but I wouldn't go with an open-toed one for an early walker. Or sneakers.

gold21

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I never heard of that, nor can I find evidence in a fast google.

First shoes should be flexible. Well fitting, particularly in the heel, so that the foot doesn't move forward. Grippy sole.

I would think that a closed-toe sandal would be fine, but I wouldn't go with an open-toed one for an early walker. Or sneakers.

No, we are not going to get into an argument about baby shoes LOL but yeah... so speak to someone with more knowledge in the field, I wouldn't trust "I never heard of that" and "my Google search came up empty " as reliable reasons to get shoes without ankle support for first walkers.

But it's ok, whatever, it's just shoes, I'm not gonna get bent out of shape on the subject.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics