Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
High voltage kids

yiddishemomy

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:35 pm
thats how I like to call them. and sounds like all of my children are like that...

sometimes I wonder if it is just me lacking parenting skills that makes them act that way. will find out. im signing up for dina friedmans paenting workshop.

dc #1 is 6 and acts like 16. if it was only her it wouldnt be so bad.
dc #2 is 4 and has all adhd symptoms but cant be diagnosed till shes 6
dc #3 is 4 (yeah they are twins) and is extremely defiant
dc #4 is less than 2 and is already bossing around with his pointing finger. lol.

any tips suggestions and chizuk appreciated

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:07 pm
yiddishemomy wrote:
thats how I like to call them. and sounds like all of my children are like that...

sometimes I wonder if it is just me lacking parenting skills that makes them act that way. will find out. im signing up for dina friedmans paenting workshop.

dc #1 is 6 and acts like 16. if it was only her it wouldnt be so bad.
dc #2 is 4 and has all adhd symptoms but cant be diagnosed till shes 6
dc #3 is 4 (yeah they are twins) and is extremely defiant
dc #4 is less than 2 and is already bossing around with his pointing finger. lol.

any tips suggestions and chizuk appreciated

Just so you know, children can be diagnosed with ADHD before age 6, and it is worthwhile to do so.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:14 pm
I love them all! You have a sweet brood for sure!! Why your fault? Ok. I know. That's how we are wired to think of ourselves. Everything is out fault.
How about they are highly sociable high talent high capable children?
Certain children need adult talk. Don't look at thier size or age.

I remember my neighbor complaining about her 12th child saying; imagine! I had to take the knobs off the gas range! He turns them on! I remember being shockedl like; what's your problem? I have 3 kids and my knobs are off forever...
Many Years and few children later I finally realized that yes! Some people have calmer children. Period. Nothing with your parenting style.
Good luck!

yiddishemomy

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:51 pm
slateblue, how and where can that be done?

thanx ecru. its good to hear...

mha3484

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:58 pm
My six year old was diagnosed formally this winter but he has been getting therapy since he was 4. It helps a lot. Medication also. My second child is the exact opposite in personality. Very calm and laid back. Its total luck.

Parenting a child with ADHD has its own methods. I found as much as a regular parenting class was nice working with my sons therapist was much more beneficial. He gave me specific strategies to use for children that are impulsive.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 2:51 pm
About 15 years ago, my sister had a 4yo boy who was very active and unfocused. Her doctor told her that he couldn't diagnose or medicate at that age, but...

Off the record, the doctor said to give him a soda with a LOT of caffeine in it. If it calms him down and can play nicely for 10 minutes at a time, then you've got your answer, and it's ADHD. For the next couple of years, until they could get a diagnosis and meds, her son got a huge glass of Coca Cola or Mountain Dew with breakfast, and he did beautifully!

Even better, we have Red Bull now, which would certainly do the trick. It can't hurt to give it a try.

yiddishemomy

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 2:58 pm
im trying kids active from maxi health now.
a cup of soda is easy to try. im just afraid the sugar will backfire!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:09 pm
yiddishemomy wrote:
im trying kids active from maxi health now.
a cup of soda is easy to try. im just afraid the sugar will backfire!

Oddly enough, the sugar won't backfire if there's enough caffeine to keep the frontal cortex stimulated properly. It's the imbalance that causes the problem in the first place.

It's tempting to want to try with diet caffeine drinks, but fake sugar is HORRIBLE, especially for kids.

13yo DD has started drinking coffee in the mornings, and she says that she's doing better in school, and starting to get A's for the first time in her life. Very Happy

crust

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:10 pm
FF you always have me on my toes! Google owes you a commission for everything I've searched because of you.
Red Bull. Now that's something I never heard of yet! Is it better than regular coco cola?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:13 pm
crust wrote:
FF you always have me on my toes! Google owes you a commission for everything I've searched because of you.
Red Bull. Now that's something I never heard of yet! Is it better than regular coco cola?

Google "energy drink". Red Bull is popular with college students who want to study all night, or people who go out to dance clubs until morning.

Dancing Study Bounce Party Hypnotized

crust

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Google "energy drink". Red Bull is popular with college students who want to study all night, or people who go out to dance clubs until morning.

Dancing Study Bounce Party Hypnotized

Thanks for those emojies..
Im trying to dechiper what you're trying to indicate;
It helps for dancers partyers students and it makes you feel so good you feel hypnotized! Got you!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 5:01 pm
crust wrote:
Thanks for those emojies..
Im trying to dechiper what you're trying to indicate;
It helps for dancers partyers students and it makes you feel so good you feel hypnotized! Got you!

Exactly! It acts like an amphetamine. With ADHD, the frontal cortex of the brain is under-stimulated, so it takes a lot more activity and input to make it feel normal.

Stimulants like caffeine, Adderall, and others all stimulate the frontal cortex, so the craving for input calms down, impulsiveness is less intense, and kids can slow down and focus.

If you don't have ADHD, then stimulants will have the OPPOSITE effect, and make you nervous, anxious, or shaky. If you've ever had one too many cups of coffee, then you know what it feels like.

Here's where it gets tricky. If you have ADD and anxiety, which do you treat? I tried taking Adderall, and while it made me a lot more focused and efficient, it also gave me panic attacks. Anti anxiety medication did not work against the side effects, so I had to give up the Adderall and just deal with being a scatterbrain.

My choice was 1. I really need to get all this housework done, and I'm ready to do it - but my heart won't stop pounding and I'm jumping at every little noise.

Or 2. I feel calm and ready to clean, but I don't know where to start, and there's too much to do, and I haven't checked the mail yet, and Oh look, a squirrel!

crust

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 6:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Or 2. I feel calm and ready to clean, but I don't know where to start, and there's too much to do, and I haven't checked the mail yet, and Oh look, a squirrel!

LOL
It seems like you have CCTV to my home. LOL

sped

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:38 am
There is recent research that advocates starting DAHD medication from 4 years old, now. It is based on long term studies that show that there is great benefit in doing so. Maybe revisit the issue?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:27 am
I have a house full of adhd kids.
my youngest is 5 and based on the teachers complaints we might start medication earlier - we know it's adhd as it is heredatary and most of my kids have it (and so does dh)

I found learning about adhd and understanding why they do that really helps. An ADHD coach can help put your perspective correctly and help you help your child to reach his potential.

I remind myself that Hashem wanted me to have a high voltage house or he wouldn't have given me these children. Hashem doesn't want me to have a house with quiet kids - he wants me to have a noisy house and I just work as hard as I can so I can direct their energy and not crush it.

a week ago 2 of my kids were sick - -I said to dh - look at them lying on the couch - do we?want them like that or their regular noisy high energy self? B'h after some anti biotics they are back with their energy.

But it really helps to understand the ADHD and relate to it properly. ADHD children can go far. (in both directions which is the scary part)

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:22 am
sped wrote:
There is recent research that advocates starting DAHD medication from 4 years old, now. It is based on long term studies that show that there is great benefit in doing so. Maybe revisit the issue?

Do you mind posting a link to the article where this 4es4arch is discussed? Thanks

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 4:06 am
This is part of an email I got; might be helpful.

Yvonne Landau is a certified life coach, and specializes in ADD/ADHD.
Join Yvonne's FREE LIVE WEBINAR  
You will learn some very helpful information on how to help your child succeed, and the helplessness will be replaced with hope ;-)

In this webinar you will learn:
*The three keys to success that will change your child’s life (and yours)!
*How to transform a stressful home atmosphere into a happy and tranquil
environment. (Yes, it’s possible!)
*To understand what your child is going through and how to accept him/her
as he/she is.
*How to get your child to cooperate the first time you ask.
*How to build your child’s confidence and self-esteem.
*How to create a positive relationship between siblings at home, and put an
end to quarrels.

yiddishemomy

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:28 am
ff, I gave her coffee today cuz I had no soda. will see how she acts.
the brand I use has high fructose corn syrup. will the caffeine balance that out too? or do I need to find one made with sugar?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:45 am
yiddishemomy wrote:
ff, I gave her coffee today cuz I had no soda. will see how she acts.
the brand I use has high fructose corn syrup. will the caffeine balance that out too? or do I need to find one made with sugar?

My sister never noticed a difference between HFC and sugar. Coffee is better if you want to limit sugar, because you can control how many teaspoons go in. Even 3 or 4 teaspoons of sugar is far less than you'd have with soda.

Give that kid a shot of espresso! coffee shock

My sister also made mocha milkshakes and added some protein powder, which her son loved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)