Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Please recommend therapeutic intervention

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:10 pm
My 17-year-old was officially diagnosed, many years ago, with adhd/social skills deficits. However I have reason to believe asperger's is a more accurate diagnosis. In any case, it has been a good number of years (4?) since he was last in therapy (psychotherapy, mildly effective), and also a few years since he stopped taking concerta. (He stopped because side effects were getting to him, but he swears he'll never go back.)

He was doing so well, in so many ways, that we were able to pretend he was fine, most of the time.

Lately, however, a number of issues have resurfaced, and he feels much less in control. He definitely needs to see a therapist, and he is willing to seek help. He's at a crucial juncture, and I really want this to work!

One major issue that needs to be addressed is emotional regulation and anger management. Any ideas for the right type of intervention, given what we know about him? CBT? DBT? Etc... He does have some other issues he needs to work on (I'd rather not get too specific), so I also don't want a therapy that focuses only on the anger.

Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 2:57 pm
I have a friend who's ASD husband used to beat her. His doctor put him on anti anxiety medication, and he has not hit her since. He still has occasional verbal outbursts and meltdowns, but the violence has B'H stopped.

Therapy is important, but the anxiety really needs to be addressed on a physical level, too. Some people with Asperger's simply CANNOT regulate themselves. Not because they don't want to, but just because that's part of how their brains work.

I am very proud of you and your son for wanting to find ways to cope better. It's not easy, and I wish you lots of luck finding the right shaliach.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 9:32 pm
Thank you. Yes, the more I read up on his symptoms, the more convinced I am that this may be a chemical issue. The good news is, it's so easy to solve with the right pills. The bad news is, my son is very resistant to taking something. I guess we'll start with a therapist and see where we can take this.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:47 pm
where are you located?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:48 pm
Israel

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:01 am
I know a good adhd coach that could work with your son if it's adhd your dealing with.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:44 am
amother wrote:
I know a good adhd coach that could work with your son if it's adhd your dealing with.

I'm always happy to have these names handy, but I think I need something more therapy-oriented at the moment. Can you share the name of the coach?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 5:31 am
Quote:
PostPosted: Tue, May 09 2017, 5:44 am Post subject: Re: re: Please recommend therapeutic intervention
amother wrote:

I'm always happy to have these names handy, but I think I need something more therapy-oriented at the moment. Can you share the name of the coach?

Levi Yitzchok Albert 0527662649
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)