Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ukrainians' feelings as Belzer Rebbe's motorcade arrives?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:31 am
What do you think Ukrainian locals are thinking as the Belzer Rebbe's motorcade arrives?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:46 am
We are very okay with it. What about Uman? Its also in Ukraine. Also its in Ukraine why would it bother you? Is it any different than Satmar people having a bon fire lag beomer on Rodney Street?

zohar

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:50 am
Probably real exciting for a little Ukrainian town.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:53 am
My question is does it make them feel better about Jews (happy to host them, even if they dont personally profit/make money personally by the visit) or worse about Jews (wish they werent there and wish they werent anywhere feelings)?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:00 am
Ukraine has a long history of anti-Semitism. Why would you think they would be pleased?

zohar

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
My question is does it make them feel better about Jews (happy to host them, even if they dont personally profit/make money personally by the visit) or worse about Jews (wish they werent there and wish they werent anywhere feelings)?

I understood that. I'm just pointing out that for most people, a one time event is probably just met with mild curiosity and maybe a bit of excitement from the younger ones. This isn't Uman. Not that many people, and not all the time. Now, for a minority, they may have feelings towards Jews like you were asking. Probably some more positive and some more negative. As a grandchild of survivors, I don't feel that I have to be concerned about the feelings of the children and grandchildren who helped ethnically cleanse their towns of Jews and may now not like them returning to visit. Sorry.

justmarried

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:02 am
There are a lot of anti Semites there. I hope they see that they failed in their mission of killing the Jews.

scrltfr

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:10 am
Who cares what they think?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:17 am
If I lived near a revered site of a different religion and one day one of their leaders came with a major motorcade to visit it, other than mild curiosity I wouldn't think anything of it. If the grandchildren of my grandparents murderers think differently I don't give a hoot.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:22 am
I grew up with neighbors who come from Bilgoray, near Belz. This woman's mother survived the war by crossing over to the Russian side and going deeper into Russia, but all of her family was wiped out. One sister paid a local family tons of money to hide her two children. Just before the war ended, the money ran out so she reported them and they were killed.

She says her family has gone back to visit, and most of the locals are pretty poor. They stole and looted and milked whatever the Jews had, and did not profit in the long run. Serves them right. If this bothers them in the slightest, serves them right too. Let the Rebbe ride thru in his motorcade. Let them see that the Jews did better than they did.

Am Yisrael Chai!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics