Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need accounting experience/ volunteer work

Shendellah

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:51 pm
Here is my story- I have been working in corporate finance for the last 10 years. I really want to switch into an accounting role. To be honest, I am burnt out from finance... the long hours (often work 60+hrs/week), the stress from being in management and recently I have been helping my department offshore to India. Whether I am ready or not- I need a change! And frankly, as a mother of 3 young kids I am looking forward to the change. This is my problem, I only have financial services experience (mutual funds). Not the same as general accounting. I have been taking classes at NEU for advanced accounting and I am only 1 class away from completing the program. I am then preparing to sit for the CPA exam. I have been looking for all types of accounting jobs- I even applied to jobs at lower levels. Everyone is looking for experience. I recently talked to a recruiter and they recommended to either get an internship (but I still work full time) or do volunteer work for an accounting department. There has been a lull at my job and I am more than happy to commit a few hours a week for volunteer work that will help me obtain accounting experience. Anyone have any suggestions where to look for this type of volunteer work? Or even better- if anyone has any suggestions on how to land my first accounting job (any leads?) I live in Boston.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:32 pm
Do you have any local non for profits that need volunteers? Maybe your children's school?

Shendellah

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:35 pm
Yes, started asking around people in my community.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:56 pm
have you talked to your current employer? Sounds like you've done good work for them. The menchlike thing to do is help employees - even if they are trying to leave. Former employees refer future clients.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics