Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Is the Reb. Kanievsky book a good bat mitzvah gift?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:19 pm
I'm invited to a very upscale bat mitzvah. My gift budget is up to $30 or so. Do you think this is a good gift, or can you suggest something else? The family is somewhere between just plain frum and MO and fabulously wealthy, so I'd like to get a book she may not have, since any trinket I buy would probably be useless. Thank you!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:26 pm
Im not sure a 12 year old girl will appreciate such a book.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:26 pm
In all honesty no. I know it's inspirational but not for a 12 year old I would get a cookbook or a food decorating book

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:27 pm
I really don't want to come across as rude, but majority of 12 year old girls probably won't read it. Maybe don't get her something spiritual, because I'm sure her family got her a beautiful siddur etc. maybe get her a gift card to an ice cream shop or the like.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:36 pm
Thank you very much!

Any other suggestions?

chagru

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:49 pm
Maybe the book about Henny Machlis , emuna with chicken soup, meant to be fantastic.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:58 pm
I got a cousin a beautiful pinkish siddur that they had by the store put her first name on it and she loved it!!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 4:09 pm
chagru wrote:
Maybe the book about Henny Machlis , emuna with chicken soup, meant to be fantastic.

Its an interesting book but then again she is a 12 yr old.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
I got a cousin a beautiful pinkish siddur that they had by the store put her first name on it and she loved it!!

Don't you think it's very thoughtful but also typical?

agreer

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 4:26 pm
Something personalized? Like a journal, tote bag, etc

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 4:33 pm
find out what chesed projects she's involved with - and make a donation relevant donation in her honor. Give her a beautifully written card explaining your choice.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 3:55 am
the Rebbetzin Machlis biography sounds like an AMAZING choice. First of all, the stories are pretty fascinating and even if she doesn't read it now, it will sit on her bookshelf, and one day when she is bored, she may pick it up and read some stories. The book is written in a way that you can just read a part here and a part there and still gain from it.

I think it is such a great idea!! (reb.machlis book is much more interesting and user-friendly than the Reb. Kanievsky book and I think a 12 year old would like it better and gain more from it)

champion

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 5:28 am
When I was turning 12 I was very turned off by these 'heavy' inspirational gifts. something meaningful on her level would be much much nicer.
Giving her a gift so that it can sit on her shelf and maybe she'll pick it up one day... is a bit insulting to the woman she is right now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics