Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Questions about citizenship

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:43 pm
If my husband is an Israeli citizen (he was born in the US, but is a citizen of Israel as well) are our children automatically Israeli citizens even if I am not? If not, if I become an Israeli citizen will my children (and future children) automatically become citizens also?

I have another question regarding citizenship: what is the process like? Is it easier since my husband is a citizen?

If I am not planning on staying for forever in Israel should I not become a citizen? We are only planning on being there for a short while, are there disadvantages to becoming one?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 5:18 pm
I don't know the answers to the first and last question, but what I'd suggest is for you to call up Nefesh BNefesh. They should have all your answers to aliyah-related questions.

Regarding making Aliyah - I made aliyah from Israel, it was fairly straight forward. I did it through Nefesh BNefesh, they make things super clear and simple and are really helpful. I pretty much just had to show up at their office on given dates, and do some other things, such as fill out the applications, have prove of Judaism from Rabbi, have birth certificate (copy). You need a lawyer - they had one there on a given date together with a photographer (for passport picture). Basically, there was some stuff I had to take care of it but it was super clear what I had to do and NBN were super helpful.

No idea if it helps to have an Israeli husband, mine didn't come until after Smile

Marion

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:21 pm
Israeli citizenship is du jus (bloodline) so when a child is born to two citizens yes, it's automatic. When it's only the father? I'd contact the nearest consulate to ask because it DOES affect his status. (He may be an ezrach oleh and you and your children may be something other than flat-out olim.)

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 2:01 pm
My DH had a friend that his grandfather lived in Israel when he was little and the family was living in Montreal for decades and his grandson he could not get exempt from the army. he had to join the Army for 2 weeks, they kicked him out because he was too religious but he was not exempt from serving in the Army. So this is a boy that he and his dad were from Montreal and he was considered an Israeli. I'm afraid that will happen to my kids because I am an Israeli living in the states and when my sons will learn in EY I hope there won't be issues.

susan11230

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
If my husband is an Israeli citizen (he was born in the US, but is a citizen of Israel as well) dare out children automatically citizens even if I am not? If not, if I become a citizen will my children (and future children) automatically become citizens also?

I have another question regarding citizenship: what is the process like? Is it easier since my husband is a citizen?

If I am not planning on staying for forever in Israel should I not become a citizen? We are only planning on being there for a short while, are there disadvantages to becoming one?

If your husband was born in the usa and can come up with his birth cert then your children can be registered as American citizens automatic . an in order for you to become an American citizen you have to live in america and apply for a green card on the base that you are married to an american citizen. There is nothing to loose on becoming an American usually it doesnt take too long to get the prosses going you will need some type of a sponsor .

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 6:17 pm
susan11230 wrote:
There is nothing to loose on becoming an American

an obligation to file a tax return - forever. (and even if don't owe anything - you likley need to pay someone to prepare it - or pay for software).

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 6:41 pm
susan11230 wrote:
If your husband was born in the usa and can come up with his birth cert then your children can be registered as American citizens automatic . an in order for you to become an American citizen you have to live in america and apply for a green card on the base that you are married to an american citizen. There is nothing to loose on becoming an American usually it doesnt take too long to get the prosses going you will need some type of a sponsor .

I edited my post to make it more clear (and correct spelling typos) that I'm an American citizen asking about Israeli citizenship.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:
My DH had a friend that his grandfather lived in Israel when he was little and the family was living in Montreal for decades and his grandson he could not get exempt from the army. he had to join the Army for 2 weeks, they kicked him out because he was too religious but he was not exempt from serving in the Army. So this is a boy that he and his dad were from Montreal and he was considered an Israeli. I'm afraid that will happen to my kids because I am an Israeli living in the states and when my sons will learn in EY I hope there won't be issues.

how did they know that the boys gradnfather had lived in Israeli? Did someone bring it up to their attention?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 6:43 pm
Marion wrote:
Israeli citizenship is du jus (bloodline) so when a child is born to two citizens yes, it's automatic. When it's only the father? I'd contact the nearest consulate to ask because it DOES affect his status. (He may be an ezrach oleh and you and your children may be something other than flat-out olim.)

thanks

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know the answers to the first and last question, but what I'd suggest is for you to call up Nefesh BNefesh. They should have all your answers to aliyah-related questions.

Regarding making Aliyah - I made aliyah from Israel, it was fairly straight forward. I did it through Nefesh BNefesh, they make things super clear and simple and are really helpful. I pretty much just had to show up at their office on given dates, and do some other things, such as fill out the applications, have prove of Judaism from Rabbi, have birth certificate (copy). You need a lawyer - they had one there on a given date together with a photographer (for passport picture). Basically, there was some stuff I had to take care of it but it was super clear what I had to do and NBN were super helpful.

No idea if it helps to have an Israeli husband, mine didn't come until after Smile

Thanks, someone else suggested I call Nevesh Bnefesh as well.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:51 pm
Unless the law has changed recently, the child of an Israeli citizen is automatically an Israeli citizen. It's not necessary for both parents to be citizens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions