Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools in Israel
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 5:50 am
You can try. Be ready to homeschool them if it doesn't work. I HATED the year-ish we spent in Israel, and that's despite priviledged conditions (my father had a job, I had my grandparents there and cousins). I hated the gan, the language, the wild kids...

etky

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 7:08 am
amother wrote:
Well, I think if we loved it so much, we would stay, we are not ruling that out. Also, does anyone know what a teacher salary is in Israel?

I think and I've also seen that it's actually even more complicated when you come with a flexible 'let's see what happens' attitude rather than a clear 'we're here for a year only' (or alternately, 'we're here for good, let's make it work') attitude.
Children are unclear about how much of themselves they should invest in friendships, how much they should hold back emotionally, how much effort to expend on learning the language, fitting in etc. Even if the parents don't come out and say it, the kids pick up on the fact that there is a certain flexibility and an element of indecision.
Often it happens that some of the kids are happy and want to stay and some are less adjusted at the end of the year. Sometimes the couple is divided too. The choice of to stay or go back can be agonizing and have repercussions on family life for years to come.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics