Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What age the oldest person you know went to college?
1  2  Next

Water Stones

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:53 pm
I'm thinking of some day I want to go to college. I don't know what I want to major, because I'm interested in so many subjects, but I feel like I want to be a college graduate. It's not for having a career job, because I really like to be a wife/mother only. But I want more education.

So I'm asking how old is the oldest lady you know personally who went to college.

Thanks!!

youngishbear

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:00 pm
Good for you, OP! I don't know too many college graduates personally, but it's never too late. Go for it!

http://finishyourdegree.net/ar.....ates/

crust

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:07 pm
The oldest woman in school I know is 65.
Maybe I'll meet you there. Wave

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:19 pm
My nt ah passed her bar ecam at 85
Its never too late if you are driven Surprised

cm

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:30 pm
I know a few women who went to college or graduate school in their mid-forties and started new careers around age fifty after their children were grown.

BabsB

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:08 pm
I graduate in December, a few months shy of my 32nd birthday.

In my general education classes, I have encountered classmates in their fifties, maybe even sixties (I'm not great at judging ages).
In my accounting classes, I have come across many students in their forties.

It's only ever been a problem when working on group projects outside of class with students much younger than myself. Even then, I'm the one that feels weird, they aren't doing anything to make me feel that way.

Sometimes scheduling around a family is a lot harder but you make it work.

srbmom

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:14 pm
I have a friend whose mother became a PA after all her kids were married and out of the house.

Pamela

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:14 pm
In my class one semester there was a 97 year old Frum women!! She says she never stopped learning. It's what keeps her young. She has several degrees. Amazing!!

Jeanette

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:58 pm
I went back to school in my 30's. My oldest classmate was in her 50's.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 11:02 pm
Had a 70 yr old in my medical school class! And a few years ago in a college class that I teach, there was a student in her late 40's.

cnc

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 11:10 pm
High 60s- but it wasn't her first degree.

I know people that begam their college journey in their mid forties.

zaq

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 5:57 am
Some years ago a 97 year old woman got her degree from Columbia University.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:53 am
My friend's father was a science teacher, and after he retired he kept taking more courses. He passed away suddenly in his 70s, and during shiva or just after, a diploma came in the mail, he had just finished a course in astrology.

zigi

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:59 am
65 working on a ba my mil, she made the deans list

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:19 am
Seashells wrote:
I'm thinking of some day I want to go to college. I don't know what I want to major, because I'm interested in so many subjects, but I feel like I want to be a college graduate. It's not for having a career job, because I really like to be a wife/mother only. But I want more education.

So I'm asking how old is the oldest lady you know personally who went to college.

Thanks!!

My parents' mantra was "there's no such things as a wasted education." (Often in response to the question, "if you're not religious, why do you send the kids to Hebrew school?") If you want to learn, do it!

I have 2 friends who went back for their degrees in their 30s, and another who did it in her 40s. You'd probably feel most comfortable in adult education, though.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:38 am
My mother decided she wanted to graduate from college by the time she was 50 so she did an Adult learner program and graduated the same weekend as me!

Raisin

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:52 am
I met a man in his 90s who was about halfway through a history degree. (its likely easier when you have lived through it Wink )

I heard of a woman in her 70s who completed her PHD.

I met a woman once who had degree and job in the sciences. She was meanwhile doing a liberal arts degree. She said when she was in college she was discouraged from taking any arts courses and feels like she missed out, so was making up now.

cheeseaddict

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:03 pm
Not officially in a program, but my grandfather and his friend would choose one course each semester that they found interesting and sign up. They were in their seventies at the time.

sequoia

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:08 pm
There were Lifelong Learners in every lecture class I had in college. Someone even wrote a poem about them for the bad poetry contest. I remember it had the line, "Lifelong, I've already heard your story about the Great Depression."

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:13 pm
It's not uncommon for folks in their 70's to attend uni where I live (college town). I think our oldest graduate was 83 a few years back, and it's not uncommon for 70 yos to go on to complete advanced degrees. I usually attend one class every winter just to keep my brain working.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics