Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ever made something truly awful
1  2  3  4  5  Next

sequoia

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:12 pm
Normally I'm a good cook, but today... Puke

I made a dish with expensive meat, vegetables, red wine, and spices that turned out so repulsively inedible I can't believe it.

Whyyyyyy Crying

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:15 pm
Ugh I'm sorry, can u figure out what went wrong?

tichellady

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:17 pm
That's so frustrating!

I once made a chili that was disgusting. The ingredients were pretty cheap so it wasn't so upsetting but I couldn't believe that a recipe with good reviews came out so terrible.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:20 pm
Yeah, chili...

This was grass-fed lamb.

How'd I screw it up so badly?

sequoia

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:53 pm
Ok I figured out what I did wrong.

Sometimes knowing physics is helpful.

myself

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:43 am
What a shame for an expensive potentially good piece of lamb. At least you now know where you went wrong.

My food-gone-wrong experience revolves around bitter zucchinis. I hate making a whole pot of soup only to discover that the zuchinni was bitter. It's such a pain.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:14 am
Yes! It was a dish with lots of cilantro. Great way to discover that both dh and I can't tolerate cilantro LOL (we'd never had it b4)

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 3:04 am
sequoia wrote:
Ok I figured out what I did wrong.

Sometimes knowing physics is helpful.

Nu?

Only so we don't make the same mistake.

groovy1224

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 5:31 am
Right when the whole wheat flour thing was becoming trendy, I figured I'd hop on the bandwagon and substitute all the white flour in my regular challah recipe with whole wheat. I had had delicious ww challah at friends's houses, so I figured it was as simple as that.

Big mistake. Huge.

I would say it was like eating cardboard, but cardboard probably would have been tastier. It was an epic disaster. Live and learn.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 9:52 am
I love to experiment with recipes. This is usually a good thing. I also have ADD, this is almost always a bad thing!

My first real kitchen mistake, was when I made a batch of corn bread for Father's Day. I was about 12, and I didn't know that there was a difference between baking soda and baking powder. I thought they were brand names! My dad ate a big piece, and never said a word. It wasn't until I tasted mine that I realized the mistake. I will forever love my dad for not pointing out that the corn bread was HORRIBLE!

Another one was the Epic Pumpkin Pie Fail. I made two gorgeous pumpkin pies, which is DD's favorite dessert. When we tasted it, I realized that I had completely forgotten to add sugar, and that it was totally gross. I cut the pies into slices and dried them in the oven. They made excellent dog treats.

Just recently, I made meatloaf, and used a new spice blend. What I didn't know, was that the blend was 99% salt, and 1% other spices. I ended up making a chunky vegetable soup, and dicing the meatloaf to add to it. I didn't need to season the soup at all, and the broth took a lot of the salt out of the meat. Things evened out quite nicely. It's always a bonus if you can figure out how to salvage a disaster. Very Happy

I still want to know what happened with your lamb, Sequoia. Please explain!

DVOM

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 9:59 am
To spice things up my husband and I will sometimes take out ethnic cookbooks from the library and try to make our hole shabbos menu based on a theme (I can remember a really yummy 'Italy' shabbos and !) A 'rustic russian' cookbook was probably our biggest disaster... I dont think anything came out good.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:16 am
DVOM wrote:
A 'rustic russian' cookbook was probably our biggest disaster... I dont think anything came out good.

There are probably some very good Russian cooks. But a review comment on a tour package to Russia is quite telling: "The scenery was breathtaking and the food was served on time."

DVOM

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
There are probably some very good Russian cooks. But a review comment on a tour package to Russia is quite telling: "The scenery was breathtaking and the food was served on time."

LOL! My husband and I are both of eastern european anscestry (My grandparents were from Galitzia, which no longer exists, and my husband's from the estonian and carpathian mountains) so we were really excited to try some of these recipts. Sadly, we ended up eating lots of dry cereal that shabbos...

zaq

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I cut the pies into slices and dried them in the oven. They made excellent dog treats.

!

Rolling Laughter

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:22 am
My husband, who is an amazing baker and cook made horrible bolognese sauce last night. WAY too sweet. Ugh!

sequoia

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:23 am
Galicia most certainly exists as a culture, just not as political entity. A person might be described as a "typical Galicianer"; a restaurant in Lviv prides itself on "Galician cuisine," and so on.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:24 am
DVOM wrote:
LOL! My husband and I are both of eastern european anscestry (My grandparents were from Galitzia, which no longer exists, and my husband's from the estonian and carpathian mountains) so we were really excited to try some of these recipts. Sadly, we ended up eating lots of dry cereal that shabbos...

We also have galitzian heritage! My great grandmother left to come to Canada with my great great grandparents in 1880! She was three! No one ever understands when I say galitzia! Exciting!

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:25 am
About a year after we were married I was looking for a baked sesame chicken recipe and found one in a recipe book someone had gifted me with. That was the last time we used the cookbook. The chicken was that awful. When someone I know was looking to purchase it, I gave it to her instead and got myself something else.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:25 am
sequoia wrote:
Galicia most certainly exists as a culture, just not as political entity. A person might be described as a "typical Galicianer"; a restaurant in Lviv prides itself on "Galician cuisine," and so on.

It's not polish galitzia... it was Austrian at the time in history my family was from there. Now it's gone.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:26 am
I don't know anything about that rustic cookbook but my friend from that region is an awesome cook! Taught by her mom.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen