Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ever made something truly awful
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

debsey

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:22 pm
Arroz con Pollo. My friend grew up in Mexico, and she gave me this authentic recipe. Figured I'd try it. My kids like chicken and they like rice. It was just horrifically bad (then my friend told me things like, "Oh, yeah, I don't bother putting in the cilantro, my kids don't like it. And three hot peppers is too hot, I put in half of one...etc)

My kids took one bite and my oldest daughter, who knew I got the recipe from my friend, said "No WONDER Mrs. X is so skinny, if this is the kind of food they eat in Mexico!"

There went my attempt to educate their palates...... We ate hot dogs.

Volunteer

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:50 pm
Oh, I've had many kitchen fails, and a few memorable disasters as well.

Once I made an Orange angel food cake. After whipping the egg whites, I thought, "Why not skip,the folding step and add the flour directly in the mixer? "
Pffffft.... the egg whites deflated completely. I didn't know what to, and although I figured it was ruined, I decided to bake it anyway, because might as well. It came out like a chunk of rubber.

I once made a root vegetable casserole that had too much dried thyme in the sauce. It tasted like toilet bowl cleaner smells.

When I was pregnant, I made up my own recipe that incorporated my 2 craved foods into a dessert. I thought it was the most delicious dessert I had ever eaten. My husband too one bite, and no more. He's not exactly finnicky about desserts, so for him to reject it, it must have been truly disgusting.

Volunteer

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:04 am
And once I made raspberry sorbet with frozen raspberries $$$, but I didn't let the machine freeze for long enough, so it stayed liquid. Then, in my frustration, I accidentally knocked the whole bucket of unfrozen sorbet over onto the floor, and onto a Shabbat guest!

DREAMING

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:10 am
Sequoia, I'm sorry your meat didn't turn out right.

But I have to say reading some of the post gave me the laugh I needed just now - so Thanks!

Laiya

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:13 am
One of my first times making chicken soup, I let the liquid all boil down to a single bowl.

Not a complete failure though because that bowl had lots of flavor!

crust

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:21 am
Laiya wrote:
One of my first times making chicken soup, I let the liquid all boil down to a single bowl.

You're way better than that woman who was waiting for the soup to somehow come out of the chicken. Put the chicken in pot, covered and waited. I hope she survived the smoke.

tigerwife

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 1:15 am
Laiya wrote:

Ha, I did the same thing! And I made a 12 quart pot! I think I cried. Although I ended up refilling the pot with water and it tasted ok.

DVOM

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 6:40 am
andrea levy wrote:
We also have galitzian heritage! My great grandmother left to come to Canada with my great great grandparents in 1880! She was three! No one ever understands when I say galitzia! Exciting!

Andrea, this really is cool! My great-granddad also came to Canada from Galitzia. They settled in Winnibeg for a bunch of years before coming to NY. My grandad died this year; he was 99 years old. If remember right he was born in Canada. His older brothers were todlers when they immigrated.

DVOM

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 6:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
I don't know anything about that rustic cookbook but my friend from that region is an awesome cook! Taught by her mom.

Got any recipes you'd be Ok sharing? Enough years have passed since the "eastern europian shabbos" disaster that I'm willing to try again Very Happy

livinginflatbus

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 7:08 pm
Last night made this coffee streusel cake that looked so amazing . It said you can use whole wheat so I put in spelt instead . It tasted like a gooey sponge

zaq

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 7:33 pm
I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. Or post as amother. There's more than one story. More than two or three, even.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 8:07 pm
DVOM wrote:
Andrea, this really is cool! My great-granddad also came to Canada from Galitzia. They settled in Winnibeg for a bunch of years before coming to NY. My grandad died this year; he was 99 years old. If remember right he was born in Canada. His older brothers were todlers when they immigrated.

That is cool! My great grandmother would be 137 if she were alive, so I guess they wouldn't know each other, but it makes me wonder if we did DNA testing if we'd have relationships!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 8:09 pm
sequoia wrote:
Well yeah the Austro-Hungarian Empire

Everyone thinks you are from Poland when you say Galicia

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 8:11 pm
working hard wrote:
Last Rosh Hashana, I poured Melot into my briskit instead of sweet red wine. A very expensive mistake. The briskit was not edible. I ended out grinding it up and mixing with eggs and mashed potatoes and baking it like a shepherds pie. Then we ate it. At least all that meat did not go to waste!

You probably could have fixed it with sugar

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 8:13 pm
sequoia wrote:
Yes, Polish, Ukrainian, and Hungarian would be the languages spoken.

As for spelling, I go by wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Eastern_Europe)

My great grandmother was an English and german speaking yekke

Amarante

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 8:29 pm
So many failures but the one that springs to mind was the one that I had promised for a dinner party dessert.

I had promised to bake a Ginger Bundt Cake and when I took it out of the oven that afternoon it crumpled into pieces. I didn't know what to do with it but I thought of a trifle which I had never made but I knew used pieces of cake.

I googled for a Ginger Trifle Recipe and came across a bastardized Paula Deen recipe which used Instant Pudding and Cool Whip - both of which I NEVER use and would NEVER EVER EVER use for a dinner party dessert but I was desperate to I rushed to the store.

What can I say, the dessert was gobbled up but I didn't tell all of these adults who would never touch Cool Whip or Instant Pudding what they were eating :-)

chavs

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 3:10 pm
As a mid teen and newly allowed to cook by myself I decided to make a new dish that I figured everyone would like. It. It was rice, potatoes and pasta with some spices. I figured that everyone liked all of that so why not put it together. No one ate it and it was a while after that before my mother trusted me alone in the kitchen.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 6:59 pm
chavs wrote:
As a mid teen and newly allowed to cook by myself I decided to make a new dish that I figured everyone would like. It. It was rice, potatoes and pasta with some spices. I figured that everyone liked all of that so why not put it together. No one ate it and it was a while after that before my mother trusted me alone in the kitchen.

You were very pragmatic for a teen Rolling Laughter

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 7:27 pm
Cooking rule #1, which I taught DD early on, is "never, ever, EVER try a new recipe when you are expecting guests."

Always do a trial run on a weekday, when it won't matter if it fails or not. If it's good, you get to eat it. If it fails, no one has to know - and hopefully you can figure out what went wrong and learn from your mistakes.

Too many tears are wasted on "adventurous cooking" when company is supposed to arrive within the hour.

Rule #2, is that cooking is an ART. You need to know how your ingredients are going to react under different circumstances, how you use your tools (like paints and brushes.) You can improvise once you are familiar with your materials. It's a creative process, so enjoy your success, and learn from your mistakes.

Rule #3, baking is a SCIENCE. You are dealing with precise mathematical formulas, physics, and chemistry. Don't get clever and mess around with the ingredients or the order of adding things. Use the right equipment (a fork is not a good substitute for a wire whisk.) Use an oven thermometer, and calculate any temperature changes needed to be accurate. If they say "do not open the door for the first 50 minutes" DO NOT OPEN THAT DOOR!
--------------------------------------------------------

I remember when I first started baking bread, and I got the James Beard Bread Book. I was a vegetarian on a health kick, so of course I went for the multi grain, seeded rustic loaf.

What I got, was a doorstop. A brick. You could pound nails with it! Whenever we had a baking disaster, we would take it out back and throw it to the chickens. The chickens wouldn't touch it! It became a running joke in our family. "Bread so bad, even the chickens wouldn't eat it."

We took it out of the coop, and left it out for the raccoons and possums. No go. 3 weeks later it was still untouched. It ended up in the garbage can, but my dad was teasing me about taking it to the toxic waste dump.

devorah1231

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 10:56 pm
The first time I made challah after I got married, I had read that to save time, you can put the challah in the oven on very low to help it rise. My oven is difficult and I hadn't gotten the hang of it yet. The challah baked on super low for a half hour before I raised the temp to 350. It didn't brown properly and was super dry... and my husband proudly brought it with us to his parents for the meal. B"H I can make delicious challah but will IY"H never try that trick again!

It's happened by my in laws with other stuff too - I forgot to put the salt in the rice when I cooked for them, and made a recipe with chicken broth that was saltless (my in-laws don't salt soup) and it came out horrible.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen