Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Wonder of Becoming You vs The Care and Keeping of You
1  2  Next

lakewooder

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:36 am
I have spoken with my daughter about changes that come with puberty and a period, but would like to follow up with a book. She is a bookworm so I think it will really help her.

Looking for recommendations: 2 books that seem to be appropriate are The wonder of Becoming You and The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Younger Girls

Anyone have used one or both?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:56 am
We used the Care and Keeping of You as an add on to our conversations and my daughter really liked it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 3:22 pm
I bought the wonder of becoming you but didn't give it to my daughter.

I used the American Girl doll company book which I believe is the other title you mentioned. I felt it gave the information in a more matter of fact way and was more positive and in tune with young girls experiences with school and friends. I got it out of the library and gave it to my daughter to read and then we reviewed stuff together.

I felt that the other one had messages that were a little too narrow for my liking.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 3:24 pm
I gave my daughter both. She preferred the Care and Keeping book.

mom2be

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:24 pm
Which book would be appropriate for a 10 yr old- one or two?(American girl)

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:34 pm
mom2be wrote:
Which book would be appropriate for a 10 yr old- one or two?(American girl)

Number 1 is about the changing body and was just what we were looking for. We bought it for our 10 year old after we spoke. Number 2 is a s-x ed book IIRC.

mom2be

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:55 pm
Thanks!

tweety1

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 8:55 pm
I gave my daughter the wonder of becoming you. It's a great book. I love them fact that it has a designated chapter on the tznius part of it; that we dont discuss it with friends, etc

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 9:57 pm
I like the Wonder of Becoming You. I feel like it has all the right information but presented in a non-scary manner.
I also think it's great for a frum girl, it's got the details, but nothing that an 11 year old does not have to know yet.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 5:48 am
Wonder of becoming you, quite a bit complete and complex, but very tznius. The only book I felt remotely comfortable.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
I like the Wonder of Becoming You. I feel like it has all the right information but presented in a non-scary manner.
I also think it's great for a frum girl, it's got the details, but nothing that an 11 year old does not have to know yet.

That book was given to me as a preteen, I'm in my early 30s now. I wonder if a contemporary girl would connect to it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 11:54 am
I think it's very timeless.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:41 pm
My daughter liked the wonder of becoming you.

MommyM

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
That book was given to me as a preteen, I'm in my early 30s now. I wonder if a contemporary girl would connect to it.

Why not? I'm in my early 20's, And I read it too when I was of age, And my younger sisters read it too. I think its more of a classic.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:06 pm
What age would you recommend the wonder of becoming you? My daughter just turned 10. Should I wait a bit?

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We used the Care and Keeping of You as an add on to our conversations and my daughter really liked it.
did you keep all the pages. I just bought it and see the illustrations of all the breasts not sure what I think
I feel like I’d like them to see it but not have always?

Cspybe

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:18 pm
Heart to Heart by Rivky Friedman is the same idea as the wonder of becoming you, but more current, and with more 'cutesy' illustrations. My daughter likes it a lot.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:24 pm
we have the heart to heart book too. it’s a much newer book and it was so perfect. written as letters from a mother to her daughter if I rem correctly . I read it last year before giving to my daughter. I rly liked the book and how it explained everything.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
we have the heart to heart book too. it’s a much newer book and it was so perfect. written as letters from a mother to her daughter if I rem correctly . I read it last year before giving to my daughter. I rly liked the book and how it explained everything.

Thanks for the recommendation. What age did you read give this to your daughter?

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:44 pm
I read The Wonder of Becoming You with my daughter once she started growing pubic hair.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children