Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Taking in a sample to check for uti

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:06 pm
yes I am the op from the other thread. in case you dont know then its not important. I didnt call the doctor that my dd was in pain yesterday I just took a sample to the office today without calling in. so they checked to see if she has uti and it came out negative.

then I get a call from the nurse that the doctor is upset that I didnt call to say anything. that in the future I must make an appointment. I feel like something is a little off here.

what do you ladies think? is he being too nitty about such small things? why isnt it ok to bring in to be checked without bothering the doctor about every little thing?

anyone with medical training please help me understand. I am truly asking because I want to understand why a doctor could get upset about such a thing.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:20 pm
I don't understand the story but if your daughter is in pain and the urine culture came back negative then you need to try to figure out what is causing the pain. I hope she gets better!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:06 pm
Where are you located.
Some insurances audit drs and some procedures charged stick out if they aren't accompanied by a visit and are flagged.
Also I would think that a child who would need to be cultured for a UTI would typically have symptoms that should be checked by a dr. I never heard of just taking a child in for a UTI.
My dr now even feels too many kids are cultured for strep and taking antibiotics - and is insisting on seeing kids first unless they have a specific set of symptoms.

cnc

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:12 pm
You just dropped off a sample (in a non sealed unsterilized cup)?
Generally, doctors like to examine the patient and see what's going on before ordering tests or cultures. So the proper protocol is to make an appointment or see the doctor.

You don't have to worry about bothering the doctor that is what they are there for.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:43 pm
I have never heard of doing this before. I am surprised any pediatrician would just check a sample without an appointment and examining the child.

There are many reasons:
1) An exam and discussing symptoms with the parent could reveal something that can't be known just from a sample.
2) As cnc said, doctors often want samples to be taken in their office to ensure proper sterile collection, etc.
3) Insurance companies have many regulations and doctors need to follow them, and this may not be in keeping with those regulations.
4) The doctor feels a responsibility for your child's health and wants to make a proper diagnosis and cover all bases. It is reasonable for a doctor to say that he can't fulfill that responsibility without an exam.
5) Doctor's offices, like all offices and service providers have protocols and rules in place to help them run effectively. If their protocol is not to diagnose without an appointment then they expect people to follow it. The real question is why would the nurse accept the sample and check it if this is not office protocol. Why didn't the nurse tell you to make an appointment?

seeker

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
I have never heard of doing this before. I am surprised any pediatrician would just check a sample without an appointment and examining the child.

There are many reasons:
1) An exam and discussing symptoms with the parent could reveal something that can't be known just from a sample.
2) As cnc said, doctors often want samples to be taken in their office to ensure proper sterile collection, etc.
3) Insurance companies have many regulations and doctors need to follow them, and this may not be in keeping with those regulations.
4) The doctor feels a responsibility for your child's health and wants to make a proper diagnosis and cover all bases. It is reasonable for a doctor to say that he can't fulfill that responsibility without an exam.
5) Doctor's offices, like all offices and service providers have protocols and rules in place to help them run effectively. If their protocol is not to diagnose without an appointment then they expect people to follow it. The real question is why would the nurse accept the sample and check it if this is not office protocol. Why didn't the nurse tell you to make an appointment?

Thanks, you saved me the time to write exactly this.
If medical diagnoses were as simple as testing specimens, why would physicians need 10 years of training?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics