Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My four month old sleeps for 40 minutes then wakes up!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 8:14 pm
Can anyone help? Any tips?
How can I get him to sleep longer?

Just some background... He doesn't stay up for more than 2-2"1/2 hours at a time so I don't think he is over tierd.
He sleeps in a crib, I put him in nicely he fusses for about a minute and I sort of rock/shake the crib till he sleeps (takes about 5 min)
Tia!

crust

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 9:46 am
I am curious, is the baby comfortable while awake? Or is it crying/cranky? If it is really then this can be very exhausting.
I find that my babies sleep much better after a warm bath.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 9:58 am
45 minutes is a baby's natural sleep cycle. He needs to learn how to transition into the next sleep cycle without waking up.
Don't ask me how. My baby still wakes after 45 minutes and I haven't yet figured out how to get him to sleep longer without needing my help.

rgr

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 10:02 am
We just had a thread on this. You can see my response there. The website I linked there, baby whisperer forums, has a lot helpful info.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....18353

Last edited by rgr on Fri, May 12 2017, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 10:08 am
crust wrote:
I am curious, is the baby comfortable while awake? Or is it crying/cranky? If it is really then this can be very exhausting.
I find that my babies sleep much better after a warm bath.

No the baby is cranky and tierd that's why I'm putting him to sleep
And regarding baths, that's only at night... U definitely dont mean to bath him before each nap?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
45 minutes is a baby's natural sleep cycle. He needs to learn how to transition into the next sleep cycle without waking up.
Don't ask me how. My baby still wakes after 45 minutes and I haven't yet figured out how to get him to sleep longer without needing my help.

Thank you, very interesting and helpful

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 10:38 am
I think baby's awake for too long. 2-2.5 hours is max. At this age it shouldn't be more than 2 hours of wake time. Try getting baby to nap at the 1.5 hour mark

rgr

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 11:07 am
When my baby was that age, I remember everyone's comments whenever I put the baby to sleep. "Again?" "He just woke up" etc. But it helped tremendously.

crust

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
And regarding baths, that's only at night... U definitely dont mean to bath him before each nap?

No. Its about getting a longer stretch at night.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 11:47 am
crust wrote:
No. Its about getting a longer stretch at night.

He sleeps ok at night, maybe my method is not good but it works for me,
I wonder if this is interfering..

I put him to sleep as usual (after a warm bath) then by the time he wakes up again for a night feed I'm in bed already and I just bring him to my bed with me. He ends up sleeping in my bed the whole night (but I'm usually not with him at all I sleep in my husbandz bed)

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
He sleeps ok at night, maybe my method is not good but it works for me,
I wonder if this is interfering..

I put him to sleep as usual (after a warm bath) then by the time he wakes up again for a night feed I'm in bed already and I just bring him to my bed with me. He ends up sleeping in my bed the whole night (but I'm usually not with him at all I sleep in my husbandz bed)

I personally am not comfortable with co-sleeping for numerous reasons (safety chief among them) but it can be a hard habit to break as he gets older and you decide you want him sleeping in his crib full time. I find consistency is best

gdgirl

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:05 pm
I would be very concerned about him sleeping alone in your bed.you never know when he will learn to roll all of a sudden and end up on the floor. you only need to have a baby roll off once and have that fearful experience to learn to never leave a baby on a high surface even if u think he can't roll!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:11 pm
To clarify, I don't co sleep,
My bed is next to the wall and my husband bed is attached to mine. The baby sleeps in MY BED BY HIMSELF I sleep with my husband in his bed.

But yes it's definitely a bad habit

I find it very hard to transfer him back to his crib he wakes up

amother
Puce

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:

This.. babies naturally learn to transition to the next cycle without waking/crying when they get a bit older. Or you can use a "method" to try to make it happen now, which may or may not work.

As far as sleeping at night, many people do what you do, and when they feel the time is right they start putting baby back in the crib. Parenting is very much about what's working for you right now- you don't always have to worry about undoing habits or what will happen down the line.

Just my two cents after going through this with my own kids. Enjoy them 😊

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
To clarify, I don't co sleep,
My bed is next to the wall and my husband bed is attached to mine. The baby sleeps in MY BED BY HIMSELF I sleep with my husband in his bed.

But yes it's definitely a bad habit

I find it very hard to transfer him back to his crib he wakes up

It will only get harder as he gets older. For both of you. Baby will become even more aware, and cry even louder

animeme

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 3:39 pm
My dd slept very well in my bed and horribly in her crib. When she turned one, we put a quilt and a pillow in her crib, and she became much happier. She liked soft, and crib mattresses are very hard.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 3:59 pm
animeme wrote:
My dd slept very well in my bed and horribly in her crib. When she turned one, we put a quilt and a pillow in her crib, and she became much happier. She liked soft, and crib mattresses are very hard.

Interesting to hear.. My older kids were exactly like this!!!! Can't believe it!
But I would never tell anyone else bc then I would get the whole run down of how dangerous it is ect....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics