Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My (almost) 3 year old lies
Previous  1  2

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:52 pm
Some kids at age 2-3 really do lie. And it is real lying (e.g. they are aware that it isn't the truth). And that's normal! It's actually a very good sign developmentally, because it means that they have become aware that they and others do not have the same knowledge and this is a big developmental step intellectually (I forget what the professional term is called). My daughter, started lying around age 3, and we explained over and over that the truth is what really is and a lie is something that was made up. It took her a while to understand the terms accurately, but she gets it.

I hear that it must be hard to watch him lie since you had to lie to survive in your childhood, but don't take it as a sign of anything more than it is - a totally normal developmental stage. Some kids lie at 2, and some don't until age 4. And some kids lie a lot, and some kids lie a little. It's all normal, and we just keep persisting in teaching them that it is better to tell the truth, and it sinks in, and it will get better.

Also, it sounds to me like he knows that he can get attention or special treats if he sasy something hurts - this means that you may be making too big a fuss when he gets hurt or is sick, so you may want to consider toning it down a bit when he really is hurt/sick (obviously don't just ignore it, but consider making a bit less of a fuss)., in order to discourage him from thinking it is a good way to get what he wants.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics