Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HELP!!!!!!! English speaking lice checking lady in Jerusalem
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 4:56 am
My 2 yr old dd is INFESTED with lice!!!!!! I just realized this morning Sad. I feel horrible that I only noticed at this stage Sad . She gets a bath 4 times a week how did this happen? She does go to gan so maybe she caught it there. Anyone know a lice checker in Jerusalem that speaks English? Also how should I start cleaning it on my own? Thanx

salt

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:08 am
Don't worry. Kids can catch lice very easily. Lice does not wash out in a bath, so it doesn't matter how often your child is getting showered, they can get lice, very easily.
It doesn't mean you're not keeping her clean.

Buy a lice comb - best type is Assy2000:
see http://www.rafa.co.il/med/assy

You can buy them in pharmacies, and possibly other places too.

No need for a lice checker. Wash her hair with conditioner, first comb it with a regular brush to get the knots out, and then comb the lice out, after the hairwash, with the Assy-comb.

You swipe the comb through the hair, and then wipe of any lice you've caught with a tissue.

Keep combing once a day (or even twice at the beginning if you and your child has patience).
Continue combing for 10 days after her hair is clear of lice, because the eggs take 10 days to hatch.

Comb other kids in your family as well - including you and your husband!

Bribe your child with ice-pops or something they like to get her to sit still - it's probably not easy with a 2-year old.

But it's not the first time she'll get it.

BTW, especially if she's in a gan, even after you've got rid of the lice, regular combing keeps them away. Even when they're clear, comb with the lice-comb once or twice a week after the shower. Because if you catch a louse when it's first arrived, you'll get rid of them, before they multiply!

(wow, I'm feeling itchy after explaining all that)

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:13 am
Wow Thank you so much for typing that all up. You sure I don't need a lice checker? Shes my oldest so this is my first time doing this. How do I know if I got it all out? She has dirty blonde hair if that makes a difference. I'm thinking of just shaving it all off (just kidding Wink )

salt

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:25 am
If you comb clean for 10 days, you can be pretty sure it's gone. Do it for two weeks if you want to be extra sure.
But as I said, keep doing it regularly even after you think it's clean.

Not sure what colour hair it's easier to find lice with. The comb does the best job!

That particular comb is very effective - I'm pretty certain you don't need a lice-checker to do it. Unless you're grossed out by it or something like that.

No kidding, I once shaved my son's hair very short when he got lice (almost chassidish style), but that was a boy, I wouldn't do that for a girl even though it's tempting Very Happy

But keeping hair tied back, and not crazily long does help reduce the chance of catching it, especially when she's at gan. But all kids get it - part of living in Israel.

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:33 am
Do I have to keep her home for 10 days? Sad

salt

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:37 am
No! Not for a second.

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:38 am
I can send her tomorrow? Whats if theres still some left?

salt

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:39 am
Just to clarify - she won't necessarily be clear of lice after 10 days of combing.
You have to have 10 days of combing and not finding anything, to know that she has no more eggs left.

salt

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 5:41 am
amother wrote:
I can send her tomorrow? Whats if theres still some left?

So someone else might catch it from her. Big deal. she also caught it from someone.
It's not an illness, just a little inconvenient and uncomfortable.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 7:48 am
I wash my kids' hair, then slather on lots of conditioner, then comb with the conditioner in - I find that gets rid of most of the nits (eggs) in addition to the lice.
Then rinse the hair to get rid of the conditioner.

behappy2

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 8:08 am
There is a woman that checks and cleans nits. Her name is Blima Chana Moskowitz. Last I knew she lived on Ezras Torah. American. She is very good.

ProudMommy3

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 8:31 am
Yes, Mrs. Moskowitz has helped me in my hour of need. It's costly, but sometimes time is money & it's just a relief to get it over & done with so you dont have to keep combing every day. Make sure to put all things her head came in contact with into the dryer for minimum 30 minutes: linen, pillow, towels, hats, jackets w/ hoods, etc. (advice from mrs. Moskowitz.) Hair brushes & hair accessories shld be sealed in a plastic bag. Opinions differ as to whether or not the bag shld be put in the freezer. I can't remember how long it needs to sit for. Maybe a week??

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 9:11 am
behappy2 wrote:
There is a woman that checks and cleans nits. Her name is Blima Chana Moskowitz. Last I knew she lived on Ezras Torah. American. She is very good.

Do you have her number?

behappy2

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
Do you have her number?

Not at the moment. I can get it for you tomorrow your time. She should be listed in the phone book though. Otherwise pm me.

mom2six

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:00 pm
I agree on combing with Assy 2000 while the conditioner is still in her hair. This is the most efficient way to get them out.

Shuly

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:53 pm
I buy the spray called Results and spray their hair according to the package directions. This kills all the lice so that you just need to deal with eggs.

Wash her linen, put her hair things in the freezer for 24 hours, but no need to go overboard washing every toy she plays with.

Comb her every day for the next 2 weeks.

From now on, make sure to check her or comb her at least once a week and remember that Kislev and Sivan are the big lice seasons so check her extra carefully during these months.

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:33 pm
Shuly wrote:
I buy the spray called Results and spray their hair according to the package directions. This kills all the lice so that you just need to deal with eggs.

Wash her linen, put her hair things in the freezer for 24 hours, but no need to go overboard washing every toy she plays with.

Comb her every day for the next 2 weeks.

From now on, make sure to check her or comb her at least once a week and remember that Kislev and Sivan are the big lice seasons so check her extra carefully during these months.

I already soaked her hair things in alchohol. Is that good enough?

Insomniac

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 4:27 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Not at the moment. I can get it for you tomorrow your time. She should be listed in the phone book though. Otherwise pm me.

I think her number is 537-LICE.

But like the other posters - you have to sit there while she checks your kid - so no time is being saved.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 4:32 pm
behappy2 wrote:

Her mil Mrs Moskowitz (american) is also in Yerushelaim. You can try her as well. 718-435-3865.
Even if you clean it yourself you need to make sure you didnt miss any otherwise you can be back to square one in days.

ProudMommy3

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 8:30 pm
This. If you go to a professional, you're spending the time to sit & comb once. And then you're done. Otherwise, you have to do that times a bunch of days to be sure you got e/t. That being said, I only went to her when it was an "emergency." (Day b4 an overseas flight, right after I gave birth, etc.) On a regular occasion, I'd use resultz, assy 2000 comb, & a lot of tefilla!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics