Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help me make a weekly task list

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 9:15 am
Hi Ladies

When I first got married I was world's worst slob. B"H over the years I've gotten really good but my secret weapon was that I had cleaning help twice a week to the tune of roughly 12-15 hours. I always knew that certain tasks I could leave to her like ironing, bulk of laundry and linen changing.... (of course she did dishes, floors and bathrooms and whatnot but I'm listing the tasks I detest most)

Now, due to financial reasons, we had to let her go and my incredible husband is great at helping out and my 4 kids b"H do help too. But the bulk of it is on me and I don't mind that as much as I really need to figure out a schedule for all these tasks so that I don't feel like every non-working hour is spent with some cleaning.

Our apt is one floor-- not too big but it's got 4 bedrooms and 1 1/2 bathrooms, an eat in kitchen and dining room. No living room. I'm listing the tasks I remember that have to get done and putting them under daily, weekly, bi-weekly and monthly. What am I missing?

B"H I'm very quick if I have a list so I'm looking to do this to ensure things MOVE!

Daily:Morning

Beds made
laundry off the floors (yes the kids are in charge but I supervise!)
Put in one load (Sunday 2 loads: white and dark Monday: dark Tuesday: 3 loads Wed: no loads Thurs: whatever is left and Friday no loads)

Daily evening:

Wash dishes
Dry dishes
Put away dishes
Clear and wash down counter space
Wipe down stove top
Basic bathroom wipe and whirl (my kids do this with lysol wipes)
Take out garbage
Fold one load (kids put away)
Vacuum floors
Wipe floors

Weekly:

Clean microwave
Clean toaster oven
Polish silver-- only have two pieces that need real polishing
Polish furniture
Clean bathrooms thoroughly
Wash garbage cans
Quick reset of coat/briefcase front closet
Ironing (my husband does this twice a week)
Wash floors
Clear magazine rack

Bi-weekly:

Clean fridges (we have two)
Change all linens

Monthly:

Dust window shades (we are all sensitive to dust)
Dust light fixtures
Organize kids closets
Spot clean walls
Clear and check vanity and medicine cabinets as we have leaks
Clean oven
Clean air conditioner filters

funmother

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 9:39 am
Love your list the only thing I woud say diffrent is cleaning oven more often or as needed when a pan drips or after each use

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 10:35 am
funmother wrote:
Love your list the only thing I woud say diffrent is cleaning oven more often or as needed when a pan drips or after each use

thanks!

amazingmommy

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 10:52 am
Op, I love your list! It's great.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:55 pm
Your list is awesome!
Try to find ways to cut back on things getting super dirty. Like keeping a disposable cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven to catch drips and keeping liners in the fridge so that when you clean them they're not big jobs, more like upkeep.
Also, if you can dust the blinds once a week with something easy like an ostrich feather duster (right before you polish the furniture and wash the floors) that might also make things easier for you so it's not a huge once a month job.

pause

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:04 pm
Add to your list:

- Wash kitchen table and chairs. Mine get very dirty. I do table daily (sometimes twice) and chairs weekly.

- Wipe down the kitchen cabinet doors weekly.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:05 pm
Some more things that help with general upkeep of the home is spraying a no rinse shower spray each time after using the tub so no grime builds up. Also pouring in some good scented cleanser like Mr. Clean in the toilets after the last person uses the bathroom before bed. You'll wake up to sweet smelling bathrooms and cleaner toilet bowls especially when you flush in the morning.
And keeping quick spray solutions handy (can be homemade) for table and chairs, counters, cabinets, floors so you can spray and wipe to refresh or clean up a new spill. I use something different for wood than the other surfaces.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 10:50 am
really? you pour in mr clean every night in your toilet before going to sleep? thats an interesting idea? I would definityely want to try this. would love this.

anyone has any idea how to keep a bathroom clean? what routine to do?
I love this thread. its helping me too.

pause

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
really? you pour in mr clean every night in your toilet before going to sleep? thats an interesting idea? I would definityely want to try this. would love this.

anyone has any idea how to keep a bathroom clean? what routine to do?
I love this thread. its helping me too.
Lysol wipe once a day on and around the toilet. Another wipe around the sink. Tub and rest of floor gets washed once a week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics