Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Chillul Shabbos for a graduation??!!! Chas veshalom!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 12:29 pm
        Shabbos is the day that shows that we are different from other nations. Shabbos is a sign that we are the Am Segula. It shows our uniqueness. Our Zaidas & Bubbes would have done anything to keep the Shabbos heileg.

In the 1920’s my Zaida, R’ Dovid Lew, arrived in America, aware of the difficulties facing frum Yidden in the U.S.A. and determined to withstand them. R’ Dovid always placed his religious principles ahead of everything else. To support himself and his family, R’ Dovid decided to become a lawyer. However, to get a degree for a religious Jew was hard. While R’ Dovid was bright and always received excellent marks on the test he took, his transcripts were also marked with several P’s, for passed”-the marks awarded for tests he couldn’t take because they were given on Shabbos. As a Shabbos Observer, he was allowed to take it later, but he couldn’t receive any mark better than a P.

Despite this handicap, R’ Dovid continued to study hard, and he was finally ready to graduate and pass his bar exam. When his name was called at the graduation ceremony, the question was asked, “Is there anyone here with moral objections against this man passing his bar exam? The question was standard, and was asked at each candidate’s name. But to R’ Dovid’s shock & dismay, several hands went up in response to what should have been a routine part of the ceremony.

The clerk in charge nodded to one of the hand raisers. “What is your objection?”

“The candidate is not morally upstanding,” the man firmly replied. “I have often seen him take tests at a later date than other students, and he had many opportunities to cheat on his exams.”

The other objectors, it turned out, had the same complaint. Therefore, the matter was referred to a judge. R’ Dovid would have to present his defense at a hearing, and then wait for the judge to pass sentence on his entire future. Would all the years of schooling and studying end up worthless?

The hearing was set for a Friday afternoon. The evidence against him was presented, and then R’ Dovid stood and stated his defense. Finally, the judge called for a recess.

“I will return at three o’clock this afternoon to announce verdict,” he told the court. R’ Dovid raised his hand and asked for permission to speak.

“Your honor, I am a Sabbath observer. Because the sun sets early in the winter, I must head home now. I won’t be able to be present when the verdict is presented. I’ll be happy to return on Monday instead.”

The judge peered incredulously at the young law student. “Mr. Lew. Aren’t you aware that your future is hanging in the balance?”

“I am, Your Honor,” R’ Dovid said firmly. “However, my religious principles come first. I have a Higher Authority whom I must report to. Therefore, I must leave now.

The judge listened in disbelief. Then bringing his gravel down before him, he announced, “I find Mr. Lew not guilty of all the charges brought against him!”

Surprise filled the courtroom. The judge explained, “Anyone so dedicated to his religion to the extent that he allows his religious principles to take precedence over his career cannot possibly be accused of immoral character!”

R’ Dovid Lew passed his bar exam and became lawyer. In the years that followed, R’ Dovid helped many Jews who needed his services, especially refugees who required assistance upon arriving in the United States after World War II. R’ Dovid Lew ended up living well into his nineties, and merited to have many descendants committed to Hashem and His Torah.

In conclusion, it is seen that one who dedicates himself for the Shabbos, always has Hashem on his side. As we see in this story, my grandfather was ready to give up his whole profession for which he had worked so hard for in honor of the Shabbos.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:18 pm
What's your point?

zaq

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:24 pm
I think she's remarking on a recent thread in which another was planning to attend an out of town on-campus graduation on Shabbos and was wondering what shmirat Shabbat challenges she should expect. This op posted on that thread that her grandfather was the first frum man to get a law degree in the US. Her point is pretty obvious.I just don't understand why she didn't post this story on that thread instead of starting a new one.

Last edited by zaq on Sun, May 14 2017, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
        Shabbos is the day that shows that we are different from other nations. Shabbos is a sign that we are the Am Segula. It shows our uniqueness. Our Zaidas & Bubbes would have done anything to keep the Shabbos heileg.

In the 1920’s my Zaida, R’ Dovid Lew, arrived in America, aware of the difficulties facing frum Yidden in the U.S.A. and determined to withstand them. R’ Dovid always placed his religious principles ahead of everything else. To support himself and his family, R’ Dovid decided to become a lawyer. However, to get a degree for a religious Jew was hard. While R’ Dovid was bright and always received excellent marks on the test he took, his transcripts were also marked with several P’s, for passed”-the marks awarded for tests he couldn’t take because they were given on Shabbos. As a Shabbos Observer, he was allowed to take it later, but he couldn’t receive any mark better than a P.

Despite this handicap, R’ Dovid continued to study hard, and he was finally ready to graduate and pass his bar exam. When his name was called at the graduation ceremony, the question was asked, “Is there anyone here with moral objections against this man passing his bar exam? The question was standard, and was asked at each candidate’s name. But to R’ Dovid’s shock & dismay, several hands went up in response to what should have been a routine part of the ceremony.

The clerk in charge nodded to one of the hand raisers. “What is your objection?”

“The candidate is not morally upstanding,” the man firmly replied. “I have often seen him take tests at a later date than other students, and he had many opportunities to cheat on his exams.”

The other objectors, it turned out, had the same complaint. Therefore, the matter was referred to a judge. R’ Dovid would have to present his defense at a hearing, and then wait for the judge to pass sentence on his entire future. Would all the years of schooling and studying end up worthless?

The hearing was set for a Friday afternoon. The evidence against him was presented, and then R’ Dovid stood and stated his defense. Finally, the judge called for a recess.

“I will return at three o’clock this afternoon to announce verdict,” he told the court. R’ Dovid raised his hand and asked for permission to speak.

“Your honor, I am a Sabbath observer. Because the sun sets early in the winter, I must head home now. I won’t be able to be present when the verdict is presented. I’ll be happy to return on Monday instead.”

The judge peered incredulously at the young law student. “Mr. Lew. Aren’t you aware that your future is hanging in the balance?”

“I am, Your Honor,” R’ Dovid said firmly. “However, my religious principles come first. I have a Higher Authority whom I must report to. Therefore, I must leave now.

The judge listened in disbelief. Then bringing his gravel down before him, he announced, “I find Mr. Lew not guilty of all the charges brought against him!”

Surprise filled the courtroom. The judge explained, “Anyone so dedicated to his religion to the extent that he allows his religious principles to take precedence over his career cannot possibly be accused of immoral character!”

R’ Dovid Lew passed his bar exam and became lawyer. In the years that followed, R’ Dovid helped many Jews who needed his services, especially refugees who required assistance upon arriving in the United States after World War II. R’ Dovid Lew ended up living well into his nineties, and merited to have many descendants committed to Hashem and His Torah.

In conclusion, it is seen that one who dedicates himself for the Shabbos, always has Hashem on his side. As we see in this story, my grandfather was ready to give up his whole profession for which he had worked so hard for in honor of the Shabbos.

Ooc, what state and law school was this at?

MommyM

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
What's your point?

It seems like she is just sharing an inspirational story.

zaq

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:42 pm
MommyM wrote:

I think not. The thread title doesn't make sense except in response to the previously mentioned thread.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:48 pm
MommyM wrote:

She seriously thinks that there were no observant Jewish attorneys in the United States before the 1920s?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:49 pm
op I totally get you. and many others do to.

when I hear some people say things like. where is g-d? or other questions about yiddishkeit I say to myself. I understand they have questions. I do too sometimes but I also know that I cant understand. that I believe their is a higher being despite me not seeing him or exactly understanding him. hes there and we have to answer for him at the end. no matter how many questions I have. and that my parents and grandmparents went through so much for hashem. I wouldnt dear do any of this.

MommyM

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:55 pm
zaq wrote:
I think not. The thread title doesn't make sense except in response to the previously mentioned thread.

I didn't read the previous thread. I guess that's why I took it the way I did.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:57 pm
        In conclusion, it is seen that one who dedicates himself for the Shabbos, always has Hashem on his side. As we see in this story, my grandfather was ready to give up his whole profession for which he had worked so hard for in honor of the Shabbos.[/quote]

It really is a beautiful story, but I don't believe your conclusion is accurate. You say that one who dedicates himself for shabbos, always has hashem on his side. There have been many jews throughout history who have been murdered because of their religion. There are jews who indeed suffered because they were jewish. Hashem runs the world in mysterious ways that we don't understand. The righteous often suffer and the wicked are rewarded. Why? WE DON'T KNOW. But to suggest that people who keep shabbos will always have hashem on their side in this world, is an incredibly narrow way of thinking and ignores many obvious contradictions.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:02 pm
totally agree burlywood. no hashem doesnt always pay us back for the good we do. we do good because we choose to do good because we were commanded to do the right thing.

we get rewarded in many different ways that we dont understand or know always. shabbos is a protection. nevertheless many times jews suffered even though they kept shabbos. many were killed because of shabbos. that doesnt mean hashem doesnt reward us it just means we dont understand. and that we still have to keep shabbos no matter what.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
She seriously thinks that there were no observant Jewish attorneys in the United States before the 1920s?

Do you know of any? Given the state of Orthodox Judaism and the six day work week back then, I would be surprised if there were observant Jewish attorneys who never lapsed in their observance anywhere along the way

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
totally agree burlywood. no hashem doesnt always pay us back for the good we do. we do good because we choose to do good because we were commanded to do the right thing.

we get rewarded in many different ways that we dont understand or know always. shabbos is a protection. nevertheless many times jews suffered even though they kept shabbos. many were killed because of shabbos. that doesnt mean hashem doesnt reward us it just means we dont understand. and that we still have to keep shabbos no matter what.

True, but clearly the op's story was meant to demonstrate not that keeping shabbos protects us in ways we don't understand. Rather, keeping shabbos protects us from bad in seemimgly obvious ways. This is not true.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:27 pm
zaq wrote:
I think she's remarking on a recent thread in which another was planning to attend an out of town on-campus graduation on Shabbos and was wondering what shmirat Shabbat challenges she should expect. This op posted on that thread that her grandfather was the first frum man to get a law degree in the US. Her point is pretty obvious.I just don't understand why she didn't post this story on that thread instead of starting a new one.

Maybe she was trying to be respectful to the OP and not hijack the thread?

myself

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Maybe she was trying to be respectful to the OP and not hijack the thread?

My thoughts too.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:28 pm
I love this story. BH nowadays shabbos observant people usually have an easier time with exams.

I myself am doing a degree, and if I finish, the graduation is always on friday night. I don't plan to attend, but who knows how I would feel if it was walking distance from my house, no malacha is involved etc.

BTW, are you related to Rabbi Shmuel Lew of London? He is originally from Williamsburg.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:

And people who have suffered? Hashem is still by their side. Hashem doesn't abandon those who live lives of true connection and avoda. He has unfathomable-in-this-world reasons for doing things, but He is by our side. "Imo Anochi batzarah."

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:36 pm
absolutely he is by our side. sometinmes he is kind and actually shows us with black and white signs that he is there. many times we have to look for him and just believe it. hashem tzilcha al yad yiminecha.

Ilovemaryland

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:55 pm
Thats wonderful...
Op...what have you personally done in your life that can inspire us...

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
I love this story. BH nowadays shabbos observant people usually have an easier time with exams.

I myself am doing a degree, and if I finish, the graduation is always on friday night. I don't plan to attend, but who knows how I would feel if it was walking distance from my house, no malacha is involved etc.

BTW, are you related to Rabbi Shmuel Lew of London? He is originally from Williamsburg.

Oh yes!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics