Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms in under 2 year old

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 1:58 pm
How do you treat a toddler for pinworms? Dr said that can't give otc to under 2 and vermox was pulled. What do u do?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:05 pm
What do you mean with 'vermox was pulled' ? I understood that vermox can be given under 2 yrs if the child is really suffering or e.g. looses weight. But only on doctor's orders.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:50 pm
In the US, Vermox is no longer available.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 3:48 pm
I presume the child is still in diapers. So at night, before bed, bathe the child (to get rid of any eggs that are there), shmear on a TON of thick diaper rash cream, especially over the tush hole, then bathe the child again in the morning. This in essence suffocates them. You have to do it for a few night, then repeat again a few weeks later (I think 4 weeks later?) for a few nights again.

I haven't tried this myself, but I know someone who swears by it - but I can't be sure I got all the details right.

Also, make sure to keep the fingernails short (eggs stick underneath), bathe the child every morning until it's gone (eggs are laid at night, so bathing after night is over is most effective), and keep the hands out of the diaper. Also, wash any towels / blankets / clothes / changing pad surface that comes into contact with your baby's bottom.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 4:51 pm
You can also try Diatomaceous Earth (I thought I posted that but I guess it didn't go through).

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 6:51 pm
A baby shouldn't be able to reinfect himself because he can't touch his diaper area.
Make sure no one else has. Everyone is washing their hands really really well after diaper changes and using the bathroom. Make sure day care is clean.
Wash all linen including babies.
Wipe down bathroom really well. Wash all door knobs.
Wash hands a lot especially before feeding baby.
Keep the area loaded with Vaseline - it should help with the itching and keep them from bothering so much.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 9:07 pm
If possible, and he is old enough, use the shower head, or gently pour water over him to clean him without stopping up the drain.
Sitting in bath water will just spread eggs all over, and he may end up ingesting them again.
This is the reason my kids switched from baths to showers, when we realized there was a pinworm problem going on.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 9:09 pm
The vaseline or diaper cream is also recommended to contain the eggs, so they don't spread all over.

ETA: and one more thing, you may do this anyway, but in case you don't, as well as washing in hot water if possible, put everything through the dryer if you can. The heat will kill the eggs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics