Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How to avoid the smallest chilul tov in Hotel or rental

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 11:21 am
So its filnal. Husband's going out of town erev yom tov. Im going along althought he said I dont have to but he is happy that I am coming. On weekdays I dont travel to that town when there is this need. Lets call it Hospital but the "goal" is a place that has no electronic toilets etc. No automatic doors. . He already told them will not carry id , not sign any sign in sheet etc. They are perfectly ok. He is used to that place and whats done there and its important and he knows exactly how things go here because he is been there on weekdays other times . Basically there will be no chalenges during the "goal" We need to find a hotel maybe home rental that is easy on the shabbos chalenges. I'm sure we can online . And the "goal" place is not a modern building. Nothing electronic. Any tips how to ensure we are well prepared and no chilul yom tom whatsoever? Take electric blech and electric pot. There is a very strong Chabad there that husband has used during previous times he was in that place on weekdays. I will go to shul as well .The "goal" is not durning davening time..He will walk there after daven No ride thru any means of transportation chas vesholom . We are not using any such similar heterim. This is an importamt trip and although I thought of asking tips after I read about the shabbos graduation this is not a leisure or similar to graduation thing. Any good tips? Should I contact the Chabad there before to get some ideas of lodging places there?

cm

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 11:34 am
Definitely contact Chabad and/or another shul in the area first to get ideas about accommodations.

At modern hotels with electronic door locks, it may be possible to arrange in advance for a non-Jewish worker to open the door for you. AYLOR about how to do this properly.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:13 pm
We always just ask for a mechanical key. If it is an issue, arrange ahead of time for assistance getting in/out of your room. Or rent an airbnb and speak to the owner ahead of time. Ask for a low floor if you expect to come and go often.

Communication and planning are key here. I'm sure you'll be fine.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:21 pm
If you are preparing your own meals, a rental seems easier than a hotel. At least you will have a normal fridge, sink, countertop.

Bring a blech or warming tray.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:22 pm
If it's a newer hotel, ask if the AC is automated to only work when you are in the room.

debsey

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:25 pm
just so you know, a lot of hotel rooms have motion sensors that detect when you're in the room. They shut off the air conditioning and the lights. Then when you come in, it all restores. That makes opening the door of the room on Shabbos problematic.

I'd say ask your LOR for a referral to a rav who is well-versed in these shaylos.

I have to travel for work, and shabbos in a hotel is something I try to avoid, I usually ask a shul in the area for shabbos hospitality or even an empty room in a house that I can rent. It has just gotten more and more problematic over the years, as new technologies and "smart rooms" have gotten, well - smarter.

doctorima

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:26 pm
https://www.star-k.org/article.....tels/

iluvy

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 1:08 pm
debsey wrote:
just so you know, a lot of hotel rooms have motion sensors that detect when you're in the room. They shut off the air conditioning and the lights. Then when you come in, it all restores. That makes opening the door of the room on Shabbos problematic.

I'd say ask your LOR for a referral to a rav who is well-versed in these shaylos.

I have to travel for work, and shabbos in a hotel is something I try to avoid, I usually ask a shul in the area for shabbos hospitality or even an empty room in a house that I can rent. It has just gotten more and more problematic over the years, as new technologies and "smart rooms" have gotten, well - smarter.

I wonder if this will become less of an issue as hacking becomes more prevalent and people wake up to the fact that it may not actually be in our best interests to sensorize everything. At least one hotel has already switched over to manual keys after a hacking took control of the keycards and left guests locked into or out of their rooms.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 1:33 pm
YOu may be able to cover the motion sensor in the room - but it causes the air not to turn on.
I thought this is an interesting read regarding the sensors:
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

sky

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 1:34 pm
I would try to get a house so much easier adn comfortable.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 5:38 pm
Thanks for all the tips! We need to research well

tichellady

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 6:13 pm
We go away for shabbos all the time. It's easier to stay in a house. Make sure to ask if they have a regular key ( some rentals now have electronic keyboxes). Bring tape to tape the light in the fridge/freezer. Bring timers for the lights if you want to leave any lamps on etc.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 6:21 pm
We are bringing all meals to the T from home
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions