Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Hot dog hamburger buns and left over challah

ruby slippers

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:13 am
Any suggestions as to how best use these leftovers- I find after freezing the buns and challah they are never the same. Any secrets ???

emzod42

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:15 am
I find the microwave kills them. I let them defrost naturally and put in the oven/toaster oven for a few minutes (not enough to toast, just enough to dry out any moisture and warm them)

ruby slippers

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:21 am
What do you do about left over challah that can be used the following week?

yaelinIN

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:25 am
bread crumbs and they make the best shnitzel

ruby slippers

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:30 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
bread crumbs and they make the best shnitzel

Never thought of that- do you crumble it up and toast it and then use it on schnitzel or just crumble- eggs wash, crumbs, bake?

jflower

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:37 pm
I leave leftover homemade challah in a foil pan for a few days until it hardens. Then I put in food processor along with herbs/spices (onion, garlic, Mrs. Dash, dill, whatever else I'm in the mood of) to make bread crumbs. This all goes into ziploc bag into freezer to be used as needed.

This makes the best bread crumbs ever.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:02 pm
I make a savory challah kugel with odds and ends of challah or bread. I toss them into the freezer until I have enough.

CatLady

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:19 pm
Leftover challah makes the best French toast in the world. That's a Sunday brunch highlight for me. Especially raisin challah.

My father used to make sandwiches using leftover hot dog buns - he'd spread peanut butter inside the bun, top with a banana and enjoy!

kiryat sefer

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 6:00 pm
Garlic bread, french toast,

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 6:04 pm
All of the above great ideas including croutons. Also soaked and broken into meatball mix for soft meatballs.

momX4

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 7:10 pm
http://www.food.com/recipe/fre.....25399

This recipe is so delicious. It works perfectly for challa

ruby slippers

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:44 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I make a savory challah kugel with odds and ends of challah or bread. I toss them into the freezer until I have enough.

Could you share the recipe- I have lots of sweet challah kugel recipes- and I am the only one who eats it- loved to try something new.
These are all so great
I have French toast for break
savory challah kugel for lunch
and meatballs and schnitzel for dinner!

Rutabaga

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 12:28 am
I'll do my best, but it's not an exact recipe.

Sautee 2 onions, a box of mushrooms, 1 red pepper, and celery (optional) all finely diced. Feel free to substitute whatever veggies your family prefers. Season well with s&p, onion powder and garlic powder. Set aside to cool slightly.

Turn on oven to 350°F. Pour enough oil to just barely cover the bottom of the pan and heat in oven while you prepare the kugel.

Soak pieces/chunks of challah or bread (remove crusts) briefly in water to soften. Drain in a colander and then squeeze out the challah and tear it into little pieces. Mix in the veggies and then add 2-3 beaten eggs and a little more s&p. Then quickly mix in the hot oil and pour the mixture into the pan. Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes.

I usually make a square pan or 2 small loaf pans. You have to play around with the quantities until you find what works for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics