Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Is 16 too young to use uber
1  2  Next

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:19 am
We have friends who allow their teen to call uber from the mall or where ever to take their daughter to and from such places because for whatever reason they won't can't drive them.
I am very overprotective and I think it is odd doing this- although as a teen I took the city bus to school. My teen dd now has the opportunity to visit a frined out of town. She would have to fly on her own- which I think she can navigate as we have been to airports before, but I would hate to have to ask the friends parent to pick her up from the airport, (they would most likely say of course) but I am not comfortable with having daughter call an uber. Am I too overprotective??

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:28 am
I'd allow it. if you'd prefer, you can order the uber for her and track her progress so you know where she is.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:29 am
I'd be more comfortable with a licensed cab than an Uber.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:35 am
I would be more comfortable with uber then a cab. You can track an uber as it drives which you cant do with a cab. Also, people rate their experiences which can weed out drivers who are not professional.

Personally, I took cabs in a group of friends in highschool but not alone until college. It really would depend on her maturity level.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:46 am
Where will she be using an Uber? In NYC Uber drivers need to be registered with TLC. Other places they just do a background check. It makes a difference in the decision. Also will she be taking the cab during the day or at night? Another factor to think of.
Personally I think that if her friend invited her it's ok to call the parents and ask if they can pick her up from the airport. And I'd avoid taxis/Ubers as much as possible, especially when in another city/town.

Fox

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:58 am
I see both sides of this. My DH is convinced that using Uber is a guaranteed ticket to a grisly assault. However, in my experience, Uber drivers are a lot less sketchy than our local taxi drivers. Also, you are statistically less likely to be subjected to a lengthy explanation about why Jews and Muslims are really the same and should therefore join forces to beat up the Christians.

But this thread did put me in mind of a line I heard recently: "In 1997, the rule was 'Don't get into cars with strangers and don't meet up with unknown people from the Internet.' In 2017, it's 'Here's a whole business to help you find strangers on the Internet in order to get into their cars.'"

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:32 am
Fox wrote:
I see both sides of this. My DH is convinced that using Uber is a guaranteed ticket to a grisly assault. However, in my experience, Uber drivers are a lot less sketchy than our local taxi drivers. Also, you are statistically less likely to be subjected to a lengthy explanation about why Jews and Muslims are really the same and should therefore join forces to beat up the Christians.

But this thread did put me in mind of a line I heard recently: "In 1997, the rule was 'Don't get into cars with strangers and don't meet up with unknown people from the Internet.' In 2017, it's 'Here's a whole business to help you find strangers on the Internet in order to get into their cars.'"

She would be going to Chicago and yes that last paragraph exactly- for years we have talked about stranger danger and now I am telling her to get in a car alone with a stranger????

jflower

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:44 am
Silver, if your dd is flying into Chicago there must be a heimish car service that you can make arrangements with. Just give them the flight number so that they can monitor arrival time. Your daughter can call them as soon as she lands to coordinate pickup at airport.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:50 am
We do have people with car services in Chicago. I dont have the community phone book with me at work but maybe someone else can give you names.

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:54 am
I've had very unpleasant experiences with Uber where I live (one guy made me so uncomfortable, I was upset he knew my address to drop me off).
Then again, as a teen I had 2 very scary innapropriate incidents with car services, one in israel, one in brooklyn. No guarantees anywhere.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
She would be going to Chicago and yes that last paragraph exactly- for years we have talked about stranger danger and now I am telling her to get in a car alone with a stranger????

Its not getting in a car with a stranger. Its more or less taking a cab. Except that you have a photo of the driver and his tag number in advance, and can check his ratings.

Is it 100% safe? No. Neither is a cab. Or a car service for you New Yorkers. Or a bus or subway. Or a plane -- do you know how many women have been assaulted in their seats on planes? And neither is a ride home with her friend's family.

So you need to decide exactly how over-protective you want to be. At 16, she's likely to be at home for 2 more years, then off to college or seminary or a job. She's going to need to know how to get around by then, and its not doing her any favors if the only means of getting around she has experienced is calling Mommy and Daddy, the way she did in nursery school.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:06 am
As a teen the local frum taxi cabs companies had women drivers, and I would take those. That is always ideal. (Does Uber have that option???!!!) But I also took cabs with male drivers if not available.

But I think 16 is fine to take an uber. No different than taking any taxi. Or, as Sixofwands said, everything has some risk. And kids need to start being independant at some point.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:36 am
Just lock her in the basement until she is 35
Oh wait thats not legal shock

Fox

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:13 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
She's going to need to know how to get around by then, and its not doing her any favors if the only means of getting around she has experienced is calling Mommy and Daddy, the way she did in nursery school.

Thumbs Up

What Six said. It's probably a good idea to review some basic taxi/car service etiquette and safety rules with her. She'll probably roll her eyes and claim she knows what to do, but it's a good idea to teach her how to act confidently when taking transportation for hire.

If she's arriving at O'Hare, I'd probably recommend taking a taxi. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't had very good luck taking Ubers from the airport -- although to the airport is great. One problem is that you have to know precisely which lane your Uber driver will be using. Another problem is that cell phone service isn't always so great depending which terminal you're in. The whole arrival pick-up process at O'Hare is very fast-paced and can be frustrating if you don't know the ropes -- and sometimes even when you do know the ropes.

However, there's a separate lane for taxis along with taxi stands where you can grab the next available taxi. That might be less frustrating and faster for her.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:24 pm
My experience with friends and family in the Chicago Jewish community is that they are happy to pick up visitors from the airports, especially a 16 year old guest I would think.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
My experience with friends and family in the Chicago Jewish community is that they are happy to pick up visitors from the airports, especially a 16 year old guest I would think.

OP is reluctant to allow her daughter to take an Uber, where there is at least a background check, and she can read reviews of the driver. But she should tell her daughter to get into a car with some random stranger just because he's a Jew?

Two words -- David Berkowitz.

And add in every Jewish molester, but my post would be tagged for that.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:44 pm
Please have your DD give her friend her flight information. Of course they should pick her up!

I would be upset if a 16 year old guest didn't feel it was appropriate to tell me when to meet her at the airport, wouldn't you? Chv"sh, if something happened while a girl was en route from the airport to my home, I'd feel responsible, even if I hadn't known her arrival details.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
OP is reluctant to allow her daughter to take an Uber, where there is at least a background check, and she can read reviews of the driver. But she should tell her daughter to get into a car with some random stranger just because he's a Jew?

Two words -- David Berkowitz.

And add in every Jewish molester, but my post would be tagged for that.

Not random stranger - the adults who will be hosting her visit!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
Not random stranger - the adults who will be hosting her visit!

I must have misread. Sorry.

Of course the family should pick her up, if possible. I thought this was a theoretical discussion in case they cannot.

My4Jewels

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 6:17 pm
I have read a bunch of articles recently about uber drivers s-xually assaulting young girls. I would personally not let my child in an uber at 16.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children