Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Is 16 too young to use uber
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:39 pm
Thanks everyone- what are your thoughts of 16 year old using uber in general?
And to the poster who mentioned keeping dd locked away until 35- sounds good to me!! : ) But then she would probably be locked away for matricide- I would drive her nuts!!

imasinger

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:49 pm
My general policy is to have a teen learn things by safe experience before having her do it completely on her own. In this instance, that would mean taking Uber with you, then at some point at a later date, you handing her your phone and asking her to do the ordering, then maybe having her take it with several friends in a known location, where you can keep a close eye.

Intersperse the above with lectures and conversations about safety. Have the first solo ventures be very small.

As to what age each of these steps might happen, that's an individual choice, depending on maturity and circumstance.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:00 pm
imasinger wrote:
My general policy is to have a teen learn things by safe experience before having her do it completely on her own. In this instance, that would mean taking Uber with you, then at some point at a later date, you handing her your phone and asking her to do the ordering, then maybe having her take it with several friends in a known location, where you can keep a close eye.

Intersperse the above with lectures and conversations about safety. Have the first solo ventures be very small.

As to what age each of these steps might happen, that's an individual choice, depending on maturity and circumstance.

Great advice!

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:10 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
OP is reluctant to allow her daughter to take an Uber, where there is at least a background check, and she can read reviews of the driver. But she should tell her daughter to get into a car with some random stranger just because he's a Jew?

Two words -- David Berkowitz.

And add in every Jewish molester, but my post would be tagged for that.

How are her friends parents random strangers?

She is staying by their house, but she shouldn't trust them to give her a ride home?

shanie5

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:17 pm
I thought Uber rules state that the passenger has to be 18 or over? (Haven't used Uber myself)

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 12:09 am
No, Uber is not safe for a 16 girl ALONE. With friends...yes. Please google the site: "Who's Driving You?" I think you will get the picture. I still get female heimish drivers for my 19 year old sem daughter when possible, although I have let the husbands of 2 friends pick her up from airport during the day. I have a few female drivers in cities she frequents that I can call. I would use Super Shuttle if I couldn't find a good driver.

I'm in the security business by profession, so this is not abstract for me. I probably know TOO much though.

marina

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 12:48 am
Sheesh. I had my 11 and 13 year old use it when in a pinch. Suburbs, quiet area, short distance. But I dk. I also let them ride their bike to the pool by themselves and hang out there for whole days in the summer. I think I'm just a bad mom Smile

And having heimish pple driving wouldn't necessarily allay my fears, if I had any, which I guess I don't.

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:31 am
Marina.. Where do you live
Mayberry RFD Surprised

Raisin

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 4:40 am
marina wrote:
Sheesh. I had my 11 and 13 year old use it when in a pinch. Suburbs, quiet area, short distance. But I dk. I also let them ride their bike to the pool by themselves and hang out there for whole days in the summer. I think I'm just a bad mom Smile

And having heimish pple driving wouldn't necessarily allay my fears, if I had any, which I guess I don't.

heimish female drivers. I would be fine with non jewish or non religious female drivers too.

jflower

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 7:34 am
jflower wrote:
Silver, if your dd is flying into Chicago there must be a heimish car service that you can make arrangements with. Just give them the flight number so that they can monitor arrival time. Your daughter can call them as soon as she lands to coordinate pickup at airport.

I was basing my post on personal experience with EZ Car & Getacar in Brooklyn. I've used both countless times to get to and from the airport. I have only had positive experience with courteous, pleasant drivers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of these car services to a 16 year old.

These car services have use computer systems that maintain customer & driver info. When I call up to order a car I'm already in the system & they match me up with a driver. 5 minutes later I get a call from the driver confirming the ride so I have his cell # on record & can call him if I need to speak to him directly. Very above board and I feel safe.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 11:43 am
shanie5 wrote:
I thought Uber rules state that the passenger has to be 18 or over? (Haven't used Uber myself)

dont think so I. I know of a 11 year old who would go in an uber herself
(I didnt send her and I did not endorse it either)

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 2:38 pm
Raisin, I agree with you. Don't have to be Jewish, but I prefer to give parnassah to a Yid, if possible.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
No, Uber is not safe for a 16 girl ALONE. With friends...yes. Please google the site: "Who's Driving You?" I think you will get the picture. I still get female heimish drivers for my 19 year old sem daughter when possible, although I have let the husbands of 2 friends pick her up from airport during the day. I have a few female drivers in cities she frequents that I can call. I would use Super Shuttle if I couldn't find a good driver.

I'm in the security business by profession, so this is not abstract for me. I probably know TOO much though.

Can you elaborate please?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 7:40 pm
http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/.....dents

Peruse this website, then make your decision. Not my kid...alone. DD will use WITH friends.

shanie5

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:23 am
amother wrote:
dont think so I. I know of a 11 year old who would go in an uber herself
(I didnt send her and I did not endorse it either)

From ubers site-legal uber/terms of use

User Accounts.

In order to use most aspects of the Services, you must register for and maintain an active personal user Services account ("Account"). You must be at least 18 years of age, or the age of legal majority in your jurisdiction (if different than 18), to obtain an Account, unless a specific Service permits otherwise.

User Requirements and Conduct.

The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children