Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
What to teach 2+ year old?

frummommy2015

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 5:59 pm
Hi everyone, any suggestions on what to do at home with a 2 year old? Any websites or ideas of cool ways to teach children davening, judaic studies, and other things like ABCs?

I'm honestly more worried about the judaic/davening because I feel like I should be teaching her something about this but I am a baal teshuva and this is my first child so I feel a little clueless. Will she just learn a lot from seeing me daven/etc?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! TIA!

keym

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 6:29 pm
At this age, children really don't need a curriculum. Daven with them Modeh Ani, Torah Tziva, and Shema. Sing songs like Hashem is here etc. In general, just having a warm yiddishe environment for them. My son goes to a playgroup because I work, and the morah sings these type songs or plays Uncle Moishy in the background while they play.
Yomim Tovim and Parsha, you can teach a small blurb while you're coloring together. It may or may not mean anything, but it's giving them the exposure.
For example, color pictures of Torahs, and you say Hashem gave us the Torah on Har Sinai. We love the Torah. And Hashem loves Us.
They need warmth, and lots of being talked to. Tell them what you're doing. Mommy is making chicken lkovod Shabbos Kodesh. Now Mommy is checking the eggs so we don't eat blood. Real education beyond this is absolutely not necessary until they are older.
I noticed you said you're a BT. I would strongly recommend getting your hands on the older Uncle Moishy CDs (#1-4 especially) and the 613 Torah Avenue, songs for the Parsha. Classic mitzva and parsha songs. They are very catchy and informative, and would be perfect.

lora

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 6:39 pm
I agree with keym you don't need an actual curriculum just incorporate whatever you want your kid to know in regular activities. You can buy cute judaica games like memorie with Jewish pictures and toys like mitzva menchies or puzzles with Jewish themes uncle moishy DVD or audio cd. You can play out the weekly parsha with leggo and practice brochos while cooking.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:09 pm
I teach two year olds, and I still think being home with Mommy is great for that age. I wouldn't even consider it homeschooling. Just include her in all the things you do and give her immersive experiences like cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, going to feed ducks or animals at a petting zoo, etc. Sing simple davening songs with her (or by yourself and she'll catch on). You can get a cd to sing along with if you want.
The educational things like letters will come naturally if you have puzzles and books and there's no need to specifically teach that kind of thing to a 2 year old anyway (of course having exposure to it now is great).
One important thing that schools provide and some mothers are often more reluctant to do, depending on their personality, is messy/sensory play. Don't be afraid to let her get dirty, even inside your house. Messes can be cleaned and sensory input is crucial to a child's development. Let her finger paint, use glue, do water play, sand, play dough, and dig in the dirt.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:21 pm
I have an almost 3 year old home with me. I sent my older dc out at this age. Yeah she supposedly learned parsha but she never came home actually knowing anything. They are very young. I really don't stress about it. As others have said I think just having your love and attention and sensory play is what she needs at this age. Nothing is going to happen if she doesn't learn something until she's older.

Volunteer

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:35 am
I am an at home mom to my 2 yo, I'm a teacher, and I agree with what all the previous posters wrote.

First off, kudos to you for being so proactive about your child's education!

Don't be concerned about your child knowing anything "academic" at this stage, including the alphabet, parsha, and so on. That's not what a two year old needs developmentally yet. For details, I suggest taking a few books out from the library about infant and early childhood development. They have a lot of good information that will be relevant to you,,since you are interested in how to teach your child. Two books that I can think of offhand are "Brain Rules for Baby " and "Your Two Year Old. "

Here are a few more ideas of things I do with my child:
Saying thank you to people and to Hashem. For example, Hashem made the Apple grow on the tree, and Mommy cut the Apple slices and put them,on your plate for you. Thank you Hashem and Mommy for the apple.
Take your child outside for walks daily, find things in nature to talk about (plants, animals including bugs, the sun, clouds, water, etc.). Observe them: look, listen, touch. Describe them: color texture, sounds, etc. Tell her that Hashem made the whole world.
Involve her in mitzvot. I printed a chart that depicts a path up Har Sinai, he colored it Brown and green, and every evening, we add a flower or butterfly sticker. I told him the story about the mountains wanting the Torah, and Har Sinai blossoming.
Read children's books with stories from Tanach, and about holidays. Read books that have a "lesson" like "The Little Engine that Could "and "Pigeons Have Feelings Too."
Bake together for Shabbat and holidays. Mess is ok.
Make a cute little physical game. Hide and find the afikomen. Act out crossing the Yam Suf with toys on a blue blanket, then dramatically fold it up to drown the Egyptian soldiers. Pile up pillows and blankets on the carpet, put a stuffed Torah on top, and climb Hat Sinai.
Color holiday cards for family and friends.

I hope these ideas help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling