Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Looking in the mirror

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:06 pm
I heard that babies should not look in the mirror till they have teeth.
Is this true? My dinette walls are mirrors and my four month old son looks at himself All the time and he looks at me in the mirror and smiles
Is this ok?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:13 pm
Rav Moshe Stern zt”l (Be’er Moshe 8:36) was asked regarding the validity of three minhagim pertaining to children.

1. Not to let a baby looks at itself in a mirror before its teeth start to come out because the teeth may not come out on time and its speech development may be delayed.

2. Not to walk over children because it may stunt their growth. If one walks over a child he should make sure to walk back over again.

3. Tie a red string on a baby carriage and/or crib to ward off Ayin Hara.

He says they are all valid minhagim that were practiced in his home, and people in general were careful about them. He quotes a Rashba that says that you should not cheapen or be “Mizalzel” in Minhag Nashim Zekeinos (old wives tales) since they are certainly rooted in holy ideas, even if we have forgotten the reason for them.

yksraya

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:13 pm
Some of the things we hear are just old wives tales...

cm

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:15 pm
I never heard that - it sounds like a superstition.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
Rav Moshe Stern zt”l (Be’er Moshe 8:36) was asked regarding the validity of three minhagim pertaining to children.

1. Not to let a baby looks at itself in a mirror before its teeth start to come out because the teeth may not come out on time and its speech development may be delayed.

2. Not to walk over children because it may stunt their growth. If one walks over a child he should make sure to walk back over again.

3. Tie a red string on a baby carriage and/or crib to ward off Ayin Hara.

He says they are all valid minhagim that were practiced in his home, and people in general were careful about them. He quotes a Rashba that says that you should not cheapen or be “Mizalzel” in Minhag Nashim Zekeinos (old wives tales) since they are certainly rooted in holy ideas, even if we have forgotten the reason for them.

And Rav Scheinberg (is this Rav Moshe Stern his nephew?) said in the book that I do not remember offhand- possibly Rigshei Lev by Rabbi Nissel? that the mirror and baby thing is "shtus." Anybody have this book and can leaf through it to confirm?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:09 pm
My sister blames one of her kids speech delay on this, cuz she wasn't careful by that child.
Actually, I was all for not allowing my babies to look in mirrors but dh didn't believe in it and they definitely all looked in mirrors- it's so exciting for them. They all started talking within the average timeframe .

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that babies should not look in the mirror till they have teeth.
Is this true? My dinette walls are mirrors and my four month old son looks at himself All the time and he looks at me in the mirror and smiles
Is this ok?

Have your parents and in-laws seen your house? If they didn't say anything about it, I'd assume this is not something that your family holds by

Beyla

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 6:29 am
I've learnt either the baby must have teeth or he must be 1 year old to watch himself in the mirror. My kids are early teether so I didn't find it difficult.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
My sister blames one of her kids speech delay on this, cuz she wasn't careful by that child.
Actually, I was all for not allowing my babies to look in mirrors but dh didn't believe in it and they definitely all looked in mirrors- it's so exciting for them. They all started talking within the average timeframe .

I wrote above about not knowing where I saw R' Chaim Pinchas Scheinberg's quote, but he definitely said it. He said it's "complete nonsense."

MommyM

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 10:20 am
There is a minhog not to, but if it's not your minhog then there's no reason to worry.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 10:40 am
I thought it was one of those developmental-type things that doctors were saying, that they have since reversed....never knew it was a minhag. My mother A"H said that when she was young, baby toys were made without mirrors...and later, they decided it was good for babies, and all the baby toys started having mirrors on them....

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:26 pm
I just choked on my lunch reading this.

Ladies, this is not Judaism.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:34 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I thought it was one of those developmental-type things that doctors were saying, that they have since reversed....never knew it was a minhag. My mother A"H said that when she was young, baby toys were made without mirrors...and later, they decided it was good for babies, and all the baby toys started having mirrors on them....

That's interesting. Maybe they didn't make baby toys with mirrors fifty or so years ago because a glass mirrored toy wouldn't be safe. Now they make them out of special material and safe for babies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics