Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ironing

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 2:24 pm
Dh helps a lot BH.
Im not the cleanest person every so often we do big clean ups. DH will do the bathrooms mop etc

Here's the thing..
He irons his shirts every morning. The ironing board hasn't been put away since the day after Sheva Brachos. In the beginning I feel bad since I was a new wife. It bothers me though. I know he'll take MAJOR offense if I ask him to put it away.
I can't iron his shirts I'll probably ruin them.
He only wants to iron them daily. (This is how he grew up:) )

What can I do?

cm

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 2:31 pm
Folding and moving a full-sized ironing board every day sounds like a nuisance.

Get the kind of ironing board that hooks over a door. He can fold it up easily after ironing his shirt.

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 2:36 pm
My husband does the ironing too. But he'll do a whole bunch (5-10) at once, like in the evening or on a Sunday. Is this a possibility for your husband?

zaq

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 2:58 pm
Is there any way to provide some kind of convenient storage for the board right near the place where he irons, even if it's something you might have to buy?

You can suggest to him that he iron enough shirts for the week in one session so that the board has to be taken out and returned only once a week. Just because he grew up ironing shirts every day doesn't mean he has to continue doing so.

You can suggest he send his shirts to the cleaners if money is no object.

You can have a DMC with him in which you explain that the problem is you, you have this deep-seated need for ironing boards to be put away when not in use, and you would feel so much better if dh saw his way clear to putting the board away since you don't have a separate laundry room.

Or you can decide that your dh has some faults, in the grand scheme of things this mishegoss is outweighed by his positive points, and put away the ironing board yourself.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:20 pm
cm wrote:

Get the kind of ironing board that hooks over a door. He can fold it up easily after ironing his shirt.

I have the idea of one attached to the wall.. nothing came of it. I will try again.

However, he will still have to take out the iron daily. (It's a big one)

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:20 pm
pesek zman wrote:
My husband does the ironing too. But he'll do a whole bunch (5-10) at once, like in the evening or on a Sunday. Is this a possibility for your husband?

I asked. He said it's easier to do it daily

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:25 pm
zaq wrote:
Is there any way to provide some kind of convenient storage for the board right near the place where he irons, even if it's something you might have to buy?

You can suggest to him that he iron enough shirts for the week in one session so that the board has to be taken out and returned only once a week. Just because he grew up ironing shirts every day doesn't mean he has to continue doing so.

You can suggest he send his shirts to the cleaners if money is no object.

You can have a DMC with him in which you explain that the problem is you, you have this deep-seated need for ironing boards to be put away when not in use, and you would feel so much better if dh saw his way clear to putting the board away since you don't have a separate laundry room.

Or you can decide that your dh has some faults, in the grand scheme of things this mishegoss is outweighed by his positive points, and put away the ironing board yourself.

I suggested doing it once a week.
Re the cleaners- He said sending shirts to the cleaners ruins them. It's also not something we would spend our money on at this time

He really is amazing - that's why I dont really say anything. (Except every few months lol)
Especially since who am I to pick on the ironing board if I'm no neat freak

zaq

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:

Especially since who am I to pick on the ironing board if I'm no neat freak

Well, there's your answer.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 5:06 pm
zaq wrote:
Well, there's your answer.

But if I work on myself really hard to keep the house tidy ( which I am. And he knows.) And manage to keep it up, then is that still the answer?

zaq

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
But if I work on myself really hard to keep the house tidy ( which I am. And he knows.) And manage to keep it up, then is that still the answer?

Only you can decide if it's worth risking your dh displeasure by making an issue over it. What do you stand to gain and for how long vs.what you stand to lose and for how long? IOW, choose your battles carefully.

Blessing1

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 5:20 pm
If it bothers you why don't you put it away?? It takes about a minute.
You're making an issue out of a tissue, literally.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 5:34 pm
cm wrote:

Yup was just going to post it. All he'll have to do is pull the board down to iron (while it's still attached to the door) and snap it back up against the door when done.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 6:54 pm
Put it away for him. With a smile. Without talking about it. Doing little nice things like this build a marriage, while feeling resentful about them chips away at a marriage.

Dh often forgets to hang up his towels after he showers and leaves them on the bed. I always put them away without a word.

On the other hand, I often forget to close the shower curtain after I use it. He closes it without a word.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics