Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Social work program through TTI /Roberts Wesleyan College
Previous  1  2  3

treestump

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
Yes, of course. How did you guess? Because only the non-Jews know what they're talking about. Because frum Jews are a poor, benighted, ignorant species who have no right to learn things from a Torah perspective. What's the Torah anyway? Some unenlightened relic we don't actually believe in. It clashes with the current societal atmosphere, after all. And what's truth, if not current societal trends?

1- Science is not "current societal trends." It's laws and hypotheses based on facts and evidence. If new evidence comes to light, science evolves accordingly. It's not a trend, it's based on rigorous experiments and procedures.

2- You can be frum and believe in evolution and an old earth. Many frum people do.

3- "Torah perspective" - there is no one Torah perspective. There's 70 prisms actually.

4- You can learn whatever you want to learn, but that doesn't mean it's true. Or that others need to acknowledge pseudo-science as true. And most of the "counter arguments" are pseudo science.

5- No one said that you are poor, benighted and ignorant. But some of your views may be ignorant. And that's okay. Everyone has some or a lot of ignorant views.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:13 am
youngishbear wrote:
OoC, are there English requirements at the masters level in a SW program?

There are not. The program that I attended (at a reputable, accredited institution) was two years long. All the classes are social work classes. The English, history, science etc. requirements are for an undergraduate degree, and it is expected that upon entering a master's level program, those requirements have already been completed.

treestump

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
What does "correct hashkafic perspective" mean in regard to homosexuality and transgender issues?

My frum college (for BY students) had the same catchline. That meant that when we learned it my frum professor said the solution is conversion therapy.

Fortunately it was only for an undergraduate degree and no one was going straight into clinical fieldwork, but I'm wondering what this means for TTI. How do they teach these topics?

Okay this was my post. Why was it reported?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Their Masters program is one year that is only if you took the advanced standing classes in the bachelors program which go over to the MA. Which basically makes the program 2.6 yrs.

What level were those "advanced standing" classes? Nowhere near as difficult as a regular MA program. And how long was the BA? If you are counting 1.6 years as a MA, where are all the psych prerequisites? Double counting classes in your major is dumb... You can't get nearly the same level of deep learning that will assist you in your career. Especially as 1 year is only 1 day a week!!
And these "graduates" try to open up private practices right away...

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
What does "correct hashkafic perspective" mean in regard to homosexuality and transgender issues?

My frum college (for BY students) had the same catchline. That meant that when we learned it my frum professor said the solution is conversion therapy.

Fortunately it was only for an undergraduate degree and no one was going straight into clinical fieldwork, but I'm wondering what this means for TTI. How do they teach these topics?

Conversion therapy???? Only anon as I spoke about my field FYI. I don't want people assuming my SN lends a "therapeutic opinion" or that I am doing telemedicine in a state I am not licensed to practice in.
Conversion therapy????
It is not only harmful, counter productive, and unethical... It is actually ILLEGAL in certain states.
And they are teaching this?????!!!????

treestump

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Conversion therapy???? Only anon as I spoke about my field FYI. I don't want people assuming my SN lends a "therapeutic opinion" or that I am doing telemedicine in a state I am not licensed to practice in.
Conversion therapy????
It is not only harmful, counter productive, and unethical... It is actually ILLEGAL in certain states.
And they are teaching this?????!!!????

This was a few years ago. I don't know if they're still teaching it today; I hope not! But yes, that is what my psych intro professor taught. (I don't know what the other psychology courses were like.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics