Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Covering hair while sleeping
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:52 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Its only praiseworthy if thats what your haskafa holds.
Personally, no, I dont cover when I go to sleep. I dont cover in my house at all, unless unrelated men are in my home.

According to the Zohar hair should always be covered, and that's the basis for the Chassidish way of life of never walking around with uncovered hair.

When something is brought in Zohar but not in halacha there are varying opinions as to whether one is obligated to keep said thing.

However, even according to the opinions that one doesn't have to keep those chumros, there is no basis to claim that it's not at the very least praiseworthy. After all, this is what the Zohar writes.

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:54 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
No. It would never enter my brain to cover when sleeping. Bed is bed. I can sleep in whatever I want. Including my birthday suit if that's what I choose.

Tznius applies even in private and even when no one is around. In one of the first halachos of the SA it says that a man who sleeps naked should get dressed under the covers.

smile12345

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:54 pm
heidi wrote:
It's not a halacha.
It's a chumra. You can object to the word ridiculous, but it is a very dangerous, slippery slope to think that chumrot are halachot

My Rabbanim hold that it's halacha when nidda. Yours might have a different view, but that doesn't mean that for me (or for the many others on here whose rabbanim hold the same way) it's a chumra.

A little respect for the different views would be nice.

CDL

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:57 pm
Nope, uncomfortable for me. And doesn't have strong enough halachic basis for me to do it anyways.

smile12345

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:58 pm
tichellady wrote:
No- to me, that is not modesty at all. I know people have very different views of modesty, so not trying to offend.

I just want to give a shout out to you. I always notice that even though you obviously don't always agree with everyone's views, you are always very respectful of others lifestyles.

keym

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:17 pm
I have a snood right next to my pillow. I take it off as I'm falling asleep, and put it on right when I wake up. My husband would prefer I sleep in it, but I feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable with it on. I train my kids to knock on the door so I have a minute to put it on, as that's our hashkafa. The only part that comes up is I have to tell my husband to say shma or asher yatzar or whatever facing the other way as we hold he can't be facing my hair to say dvarim shbikdusha. But it's all about compromise and communication.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:24 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Many hold it as halacha when nidda, not chumra.
It doesn't only have to do with what he finds arousing, but to do with covering ervah when niddah. (Of course there are different opinions, but calling it a ridiculous chumrah is wrong.)

We don't decide whether or not hold something as a halacha. It's either a halacha or not. If it's not halacha it's a chumra. You can say Many people hold that chumra.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:29 pm
fish wrote:
I dont, but its always praiseworthy to take on extra chumros even if its not ur hashkafa.

Uh. There is a pasuk in the Torah:
"אֵת כָּל־הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוֶּה אֶתְכֶם אֹתוֹ תִשְׁמְרוּ לַעֲשׂוֹת לֹא־תֹסֵף עָלָיו וְלֹא תִגְרַע מִמֶּנּוּ

Last edited by allcuteonesrtak on Thu, May 18 2017, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:30 pm
Seas wrote:
Tznius applies even in private and even when no one is around. In one of the first halachos of the SA it says that a man who sleeps naked should get dressed under the covers.

Key words. Under the covers. The place where I am when I sleep.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:38 pm
smile12345 wrote:
My Rabbanim hold that it's halacha when nidda. Yours might have a different view, but that doesn't mean that for me (or for the many others on here whose rabbanim hold the same way) it's a chumra.

A little respect for the different views would be nice.

You rabbanim can hold that hair should be covered when nidda. That's fine. That still doesn't mean it's halacha.

Ilovemaryland

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:43 pm
Seas wrote:
According to the Zohar hair should always be covered, and that's the basis for the Chassidish way of life of never walking around with uncovered hair.

When something is brought in Zohar but not in halacha there are varying opinions as to whether one is obligated to keep said thing.

However, even according to the opinions that one doesn't have to keep those chumros, there is no basis to claim that it's not at the very least praiseworthy. After all, this is what the Zohar writes.

Seas did you see this in the original...
Did tou learn the Zohar or is this a recycled sound-byte from seminary

smile12345

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:27 pm
allcuteonesrtak wrote:
We don't decide whether or not hold something as a halacha. It's either a halacha or not. If it's not halacha it's a chumra. You can say Many people hold that chumra.

That is a very bold statement to make. Are you then telling me that for any opinion that some rabbonim hold differently to yours then that means that all the others are taking on chumros? That's not the way it goes. There are different sources that people go according to, that doesn't relegate it to chumros.

The key word is your 'we'. We don't decide anything. Everything comes from a source.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:31 pm
smile12345 wrote:
That is a very bold statement to make. Are you then telling me that for any opinion that some rabbonim hold differently to yours then that means that all the others are taking on chumros? That's not the way it goes. There are different sources that people go according to, that doesn't relegate it to chumros.

I apologise I will correct myself and say if it's not a halacha then its a minhag.
I'm saying this respectfully.
Also, I didn't say what my Rav holds.
However, whatever we hold my Rav definitely differentiates between halacha, chumra, minhag, etc. He will say its not halacha but we hold etc

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:32 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Key words. Under the covers. The place where I am when I sleep.

The point is according to halacha a person should never be naked and uncovered if they can help it. So under the covers you're covered, but when you get up you get dressed under the covers, so as not to expose yourself to Hashem.

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:33 pm
Ilovemaryland wrote:
Seas did you see this in the original...
Did tou learn the Zohar or is this a recycled sound-byte from seminary

Are these the only two options? I didn't see it in the sefer hazohar itself, but I have seen it brought in seforim.

Google it.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:34 pm
smile12345 wrote:

The key word is your 'we'. We don't decide anything. Everything comes from a source.

The key word is "we". we don't decide anything. Everything comes from a source.
A source does not necessarily mean it's a halacha.
Thank you for clarifying my point.

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:36 pm
A quick Google search pointed me to a pdf file by recognised rabbis, with sources and all.
Here you go:

http://www.shemayisrael.com/pa.....9.pdf

Last edited by Seas on Thu, May 18 2017, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:37 pm
Seas wrote:
The point is according to halacha a person should never be naked and uncovered if they can help it. So under the covers you're covered, but when you get up you get dressed under the covers, so as not to expose yourself to Hashem.

Really? Are you sure? Asking specifically because when we were engaged we learnt specific things regarding when your naked... I'm going to look at the notes to see source

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:39 pm
allcuteonesrtak wrote:
Really? Are you sure? Asking specifically because when we were engaged we learnt specific things regarding when your naked... I'm going to look at the notes to see source

As in what?

I wrote the above from memory but you can look it up in SA - it's right at the beginning.

Seas

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:58 pm
The source for the Zohar is in the pdf I linked to.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels