Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What color kitchen is in style?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Miri7

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 1:00 am
We are doing white counters and black countertops like this:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/1.....lphia

We are getting absolute black granite honed finish.

byisrael

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 1:34 am
momto2 wrote:
I'm leaning toward white with gray tile backsplash, what color countertops go well with that?

Here are ideas - all the 41,000 kitchens are white cabinets with a gray backsplash...
https://www.houzz.com/photos/k.....white

I LOVE marble
https://www.houzz.com/photos/4.....polis
it makes the kitchen so bright!!!!

But if you really want granite you can go for black like this https://www.houzz.com/photos/1.....oston
or a speckled gray
like this https://www.houzz.com/photos/9.....miami

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:12 am
I have cream/off white cabinets, dark brown counters, beige floor tiles and a very unique backsplash. A row of subway tiles below the cabinets and above the counter, the rest is long thin mosaic stone tiles ranging from white to dark brown, tying all the colors in the kitchen together. I plan on painting the bits of wall some shade of beige and using large tiles on the wall by the table so it will be easier to clean.
All my fixtures are chrome.
I Love it and designed it myself.

iyar

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
Buy something you like that's timeless. You don't want your kitchen to be outdated in 7 years.

This.

And this is why I wouldn't choose gray, which is already on it's way out, unless you really love gray.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:58 am
iyar wrote:
This.

And this is why I wouldn't choose gray, which is already on it's way out, unless you really love gray.

What would you choose?

momto2

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:16 am
Thanks, I've been spending way too much time on houzz!

iyar

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
What would you choose?

White and blues- either dark blues or lighter eggshell type of blues.
White and summer garden-y yellowish greens, or creamy off-white with more subtle neutral greens.
White and a sharp scarlet red with some dark gray accents would be fun and different too.
But please choose whatever you like!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 3:28 pm
We recently redid out kitchen on a budget, so we were limited with options. I did white cabinets, marbley granite countertops which are mostly black with white and grey veining, gray wood-look vinyl tiles, and stainless steel appliances and fixtures (cabinet handles, faucet). For backsplash I want to do plain white subway tiles.

Blessed4

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 3:37 pm
I just did and all white kitchen with a dark brown island. I love it!!! Each person has such different taste, it's so hard to say whats in style.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 3:56 pm
What color regular laminate counter looks nice? Not sure if plain white will look too cheapy...

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 3:58 pm
If anyone would post photos of their kitchen that got done up recently, that would be great to see Very Happy

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:07 pm
Just know that grey is out! It was in style two years ago!
I personally would do something practical but not dark either.
Go on Pinterest.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
Just know that grey is out! It was in style two years ago!
I personally would do something practical but not dark either.
Go on Pinterest.

There does still seem to be a lot of grey cupboards in the featured kitchens in the stores...

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
Mine has to be on a budget too, but without the granite counters or vinyl tiles Confused What color regular laminate counter looks nice? Not sure if plain white will look too cheapy...

What color are the cabinets? The walls?

Marble looks seem to be popular right now. A quick look through the current NKBA magazine is showing a lot of pics of marble-patterned surfaces. There are pretty good granite and marble lookalikes in laminate. Some of them can pass as the real thing if you don't look too closely: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ham.....42693

If the postform laminates at the big box stores will work for you, they're extremely inexpensive. But if the laminate needs to be custom cut, it can get pricey fast, and sometimes end up nearly as much as an inexpensive granite.

yksraya

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:49 pm
Buy something that you like, is practical, and durable. Styles go out, if it's something you like, it will always represent your taste. For example, they say grey is in. I've seen plenty of those grey and white kitchens, they look more like a drs exam room than a kitchen. So choose wisely.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:15 pm
I have black stone counters, white cabinets and a light gray backsplash in my rented apt.

I don't mind the upper cabinets, although they do get finger prints easily, but I find that the bottom white cabinets always looks dirty unless I clean them every day (and I don't!).

On the other hand, counter tops are very easy to clean - no need to bend down or stand on anything to reach them, so I would go with lighter counter tops and darker cabinets.

I also hate my backsplash - it shows every little splash, so I would prefer a darker backsplash or a mix of colors.

(Also, don't get white floors in your kitchen, unless you plan on mopping every hour.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
I have black stone counters, white cabinets and a light gray backsplash in my rented apt.

I don't mind the upper cabinets, although they do get finger prints easily, but I find that the bottom white cabinets always looks dirty unless I clean them every day (and I don't!).

On the other hand, counter tops are very easy to clean - no need to bend down or stand on anything to reach them, so I would go with lighter counter tops and darker cabinets.

I also hate my backsplash - it shows every little splash, so I would prefer a darker backsplash or a mix of colors.

(Also, don't get white floors in your kitchen, unless you plan on mopping every hour.)

All you said is true. BUT
when you are working with a smallish space or a space that doesnt get a lot of natural sunlight, you want bright and airy. You don't want claustrophobic and dark. As per Rubber Ducky's advice a year ago Wink : vertical surfaces affect the brightness way more than horizontal. Hence the white cabinets and white backsplash but dark counters and medium-dark floors. I can get away with washing my floor once a week because it hides the dirt so well!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:54 pm
yksraya wrote:
Buy something that you like, is practical, and durable. Styles go out, if it's something you like, it will always represent your taste. For example, they say grey is in. I've seen plenty of those grey and white kitchens, they look more like a drs exam room than a kitchen. So choose wisely.

And here I was just at the doctor's office thinking how their recent renovations made the room seem so cozy looking just like a kitchen... LOL

ValleyMom

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:39 pm
I've had grey cabinets with white crackled glass subway tiles..
For SIX years-
I had NO idea I was a trend setter.
;-)

happy12

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:57 pm
Just did my basement grey and white but put on a natural wood kitchen with polished nickel handles and a bronze counter top with grey veins.
Natural wood is always in
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen