Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to make classes for kids. Liability/insurance advice?

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:27 pm
I would like to run a little art/hobby group for elementary aged kids. I know starting an official business that involves having kids in your location requires serious insurance. I'd only want to do one or maybe two groups a week, with maybe 5 kids in each. Basically my own kids want some extracurricular activities and I'm more qualified to run them than to pay to send them somewhere else.

Is there any way to do that or would insurance automatically make it more of a loss than a gain? Is my only option to aim for only heimish community kids and hope I never get sued?

If anyone runs a similar type of SMALL business or class like this, I would love to have a conversation about how it works and how you got started.

ETA: I live in NYC. I assume liability issues vary by location...

ChutzPAh

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:34 pm
Do you want to work for your local Y? Might not be as lucrative but might be an option.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:42 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
Do you want to work for your local Y? Might not be as lucrative but might be an option.

No, but thanks for trying.
I forgot to mention I live in NYC. The Y's and other community centers all around here are huge operations, not interested in a hobbying mommy running a small group once a week and asking to bring her kids along.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:49 pm
did you get quotes yet? "serious insurance" could easily be as little as $500 a year for a sole proprieter.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:56 pm
I don't even know who to call for a quote! Hence the request for advice from people who may have done something similar.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
I don't even know who to call for a quote! Hence the request for advice from people who may have done something similar.

Start with whoever you are using now for owners/renters insurance.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:51 pm
I run a Sunday Program for kids. I have insurance. You need to call any insurance broker and get a quote. Your rate will be determined by three factors. The amount of children you are insuring, the amount of days that you will be open, and the type of classes being offered. My insurance was purchased through GFI.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
I run a Sunday Program for kids. I have insurance. You need to call any insurance broker and get a quote. Your rate will be determined by three factors. The amount of children you are insuring, the amount of days that you will be open, and the type of classes being offered. My insurance was purchased through GFI.

Thanks!
Do you do your program in your home or you have a specific program site?
For the amount of children, can you estimate if you're not sure how many will come or do you wait until they sign up before getting your insurance policy?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
Thanks!
Do you do your program in your home or you have a specific program site?
For the amount of children, can you estimate if you're not sure how many will come or do you wait until they sign up before getting your insurance policy?

My program is run in a rented facility. You can purchase a policy within the same day so it's Okay to wait until you know how many are enrolled.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:08 am
Can I also ask a really dumb question - what is the type of insurance you need called? I mean, I know what health and life and disability insurance are... I have no idea what kind of insurance this would be. Like if I want to call up an insurance broker and ask, I feel like I should at least ask the right question.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
Can I also ask a really dumb question - what is the type of insurance you need called? I mean, I know what health and life and disability insurance are... I have no idea what kind of insurance this would be. Like if I want to call up an insurance broker and ask, I feel like I should at least ask the right question.

Just tell the broker you will be running classes for kids in your home and you would like to be insured.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics