Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Trampoline in my backyard- my responsibility?
1  2  3  Next

mizle10

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:01 pm
I recently got a trampoline for my kids in my backyard. The neighbors are all coming in to use it which I don't mind at all, but I'm not gonna be on top of them. I'm not telling making sure there aren't too many kids on at a time or breaking up fights about whos turn it is. Is it my responsibility because it's mine? Would you be upset if your child got hurt in someone elses backyard because the mother wasn't supervising?

reality mom

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:04 pm
If a kid gets hurt on your property you are liable. My kids are begging for a trampoline, and since my backyard is more "open" to all the neighborsI would be putting myself at risk for being sued in case of injury. I will not!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:04 pm
I hope you have good insurance, because that is a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

watergirl

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:05 pm
Most homeowners insurance policies dont cover these. This is a huge risk for you. If a neighbor gets hurt, even if the family isnt interested in coming after you, their health insurance will. There was just a whole conversation about this on a facebook group that I'm in. Even a waver that you have them sign wont help. Best to lock up the zipper when you arent there (with your own kids) and not allow anyone else to use it.

Last edited by watergirl on Sun, May 21 2017, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:05 pm
If the unit is on your property it is your responsibility. Have you checked to see if your homeowners covers accidents or injuries on it? I know that many ins companies make you disclose if you have one and premiums get rated up.

yksraya

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:07 pm
Does it have a gate?

In any case, maybe put a private property, enter at your own risk sign. That should legally protect you in case of lawsuit.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:11 pm
yksraya wrote:
Does it have a gate?

In any case, maybe put a private property, enter at your own risk sign. That should legally protect you in case of lawsuit.

That doesn't work for ponds or swimming pools. There has to be a 6 foot high fence all the way around, with a child proof lock on it.

I had to fill in my koi pond where I used to live, because the neighbor's kid kept climbing my fence and teasing the fish. The kid had serious behavior problems, and his parents who were alcoholics and never watched him, but I was the one who had to re-home my fish and give up my lovely pond. Not to mention the cost of labor and landscaping to fill in the hole.

Mad Mad Mad

mizle10

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:20 pm
On one hand what you're all saying makes sense, on the other hand- watch your kids better! It's not like I'm inviting kids over and then not supervising, they're wandering in on their own.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:20 pm
We have a rule with ours, you are welcome to use it, but only if your parent is watching.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:25 pm
It should be use at your own risk and the neighbors should understand this. But it's a litigious world we live in; I'd be nervous. Talk to your insurance agent or a lawyer about what the worst case scenario would be and then decide if you want to keep being so generous with your new toy.

reality mom

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
We have a rule with ours, you are welcome to use it, but only if your parent is watching.

That wont help you be protected against a lawsuit in case of injury.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:47 pm
mizle10 wrote:
On one hand what you're all saying makes sense, on the other hand- watch your kids better! It's not like I'm inviting kids over and then not supervising, they're wandering in on their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....trine

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:47 pm
Our insurance company has us put a lock on the zipper so that other children can't play on it when we're not home. The assumption being that when we're home and the zipper is unlocked, that we take responsibility.

So to answer your question: Yes, it's your responsibility. I believe halachically too, in addition to legally.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:01 pm
I'd be nervous. My daughter broke her leg on a neighbors trampoline. We of course had no plans to sue them. Our insurance started asking questions and we were nervous that they wouldn't cover it and would want to make the neighbors home insurance pay instead. It worked out in the end but I wouldn't want to get involved in it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:12 pm
I have a trampoline in my backyard. My neighbors do use it. I told parents they need to be. on top of their own kids. Another thing...I went away this shabbos and some kids (I don't even know who) ripped my ENTIRE net. I am fuming. I am planning on reaching out to the usual kids who coming it. (2 families) and finding out who it was and letting the parents know and I will not allow them back on. They made a hole so big its not safe gor my kids tk be on it and I nees tk completely replace it.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:13 pm
While you are responsible I am just shocked at people who just wander onto someone else's private property and use their things! One house I drove past that has a nice swing set had a huge sign saying that it wasn't a public park. Who would just let their kids use someone else's stuff?

I would put a lock (with a key, not a combination so you must be present while your kids are on it and no one can learn the code). Plus a huge sign.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:45 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
While you are responsible I am just shocked at people who just wander onto someone else's private property and use their things! One house I drove past that has a nice swing set had a huge sign saying that it wasn't a public park. Who would just let their kids use someone else's stuff?

I would put a lock (with a key, not a combination so you must be present while your kids are on it and no one can learn the code). Plus a huge sign.

In some communities, anything that isn't nailed down is considered "up for grabs". There was a thread here a few years ago, about how big kids down the block were "borrowing" all the little kid's bikes, and then dumping them on the neighbor's lawns when they got bored.

Someone suggested that all the bikes be locked up, and the OP said "that just isn't DONE around here! They'll think I'm a rude neighbor!"

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:57 pm
Growing up my parents wouldn't get a trampoline for this exact reason. They didn't want to be liable for all the neighbors kids... and they knew there was no way to prevent them from playing on it...

LittleDucky

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
In some communities, anything that isn't nailed down is considered "up for grabs". There was a thread here a few years ago, about how big kids down the block were "borrowing" all the little kid's bikes, and then dumping them on the neighbor's lawns when they got bored.

Someone suggested that all the bikes be locked up, and the OP said "that just isn't DONE around here! They'll think I'm a rude neighbor!"

What a different world. What a different world.
Where possessions mean something. Gezel is assur and not done. Where we respect personal space and property.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
I have a trampoline in my backyard. My neighbors do use it. I told parents they need to be. on top of their own kids. Another thing...I went away this shabbos and some kids (I don't even know who) ripped my ENTIRE net. I am fuming. I am planning on reaching out to the usual kids who coming it. (2 families) and finding out who it was and letting the parents know and I will not allow them back on. They made a hole so big its not safe gor my kids tk be on it and I nees tk completely replace it.

Happened to me too. Crying
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics