Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
I need enough bc pills for when I travel overseas

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:28 pm
I live in NY, I'm going to Israel for 2 weeks, and my bc pack will be finishing in the middle of my trip, how can I get my refill early?
I heard you can go to CVS, with ur travel itinerary and u can get your refill early.. Is this true? Please help!!! Thanks so much!

singleagain

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:30 pm
It might just be easier to have your Dr call the insurance for a vacation override.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:34 pm
Ok, Thx what does that mean?

singleagain

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:36 pm
Insurance won't let you fill a script too early ...and early can be different depending on meds. So they need a Dr to say it's needed and that no your not trying to hoard pills to sell or make something more dangerous

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:37 pm
Thank u so much, so I guess what I heard about showing ur itinerary is not true!!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:10 pm
You can't walk into a drug store and pick up a few months of b/c pills at once? They're not pain killers or sleeping pills. What are they so afraid you'll do with them that they must be rationed?

Kumphort

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:56 pm
You can call ur insurance company urslef and ask for a vacation override. They will ask u travel details and then you should be ok to get ur refill early. Just did this a few weeks ago

Alternatively you can just pay for the one refill this time

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:36 am
MiracleMama wrote:
You can't walk into a drug store and pick up a few months of b/c pills at once? They're not pain killers or sleeping pills. What are they so afraid you'll do with them that they must be rationed?

I used to get 3 months at a time..

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:46 am
They don't want you skipping the pink pills, so as not to get your period. That's what my pharmacist told me.

babysmum

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:53 am
You can always pay for them as long as you have a prescription.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:53 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
They don't want you skipping the pink pills, so as not to get your period. That's what my pharmacist told me.

Who is 'they'?

I don't live in NY but neither my pharmacist nor my insurance had issue with me picking up three months at a time. If I came in 14 days before a pack was done, they'd do the refill.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 1:05 am
I'm assuming the insurance company...? Maybe it's a health law in NY? I'm just quoting what my pharmacist told me when I questioned her about the policy. They would only fill a pack about 3 days before it was done.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 1:16 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I'm assuming the insurance company...? Maybe it's a health law in NY? I'm just quoting what my pharmacist told me when I questioned her about the policy. They would only fill a pack about 3 days before it was done.

Google tells me that it's a combination of how the MD wrote the prescription and the insurance companies policy.

I guess the if the doc was concerned about the patient taking more than 14 active pills in a row she'd write a one pack at a time order.

Insurance cares about their cash flow and risk that you pick up three months worth, and stop paying premiums.

No NY law limiting to one month.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 1:24 am
singleagain wrote:
Insurance won't let you fill a script too early ...and early can be different depending on meds. So they need a Dr to say it's needed and that no your not trying to hoard pills to sell or make something more dangerous

It really must have to do with the ins. policy itself. Most ins. companies let you do mail order for a 3 month supply of any script.

Miri7

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 3:02 am
Instead of asking us, I suggest you call your pharmacy and ask about your specific prescription and insurance. They fill prescriptions early because of travel ALL THE TIME. It's not a big deal - but you could get a lot of inaccurate information on here because these things can vary depending on the medication, insurance plan and pharmacy.

Your pharmacist will be able to look up exactly what you need to do. Have a great trip!!

ewzahl

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 5:11 am
How about other forms of BC when you run out for those few days? like spermicide, abstinence, etc?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 6:18 am
Ask you pharmacy.
Your insurance will either pay for an extra action pack, or you can pay for it approx$30

elaela

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 8:55 am
in europe thats not a problem at all. why would it matter to the pharmacy or the insurence company if you stock up 1 month 3 months or 6 months??? you cant kill yourself with them. they are not addictive. so whats the problem?

here if you pick up 3 month worth or 6 months worth it becomes even cheaper.

fiji

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 8:57 am
Cvs called my insurance for me and got them to give me three months bc pills in advance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries