Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you afford tuition?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

cnc

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:10 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So we are in agreement.😀

Always LOL

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:12 pm
cnc wrote:
Always LOL

👍

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:12 pm
Same experience here as Mommy3b2c, cnc, sky.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:13 pm
The reason that tuition discounts are charity is that the parents who pay full tuition are in essence giving charity so that you could pay less. How does it work otherwise in practicality, never mind if people in the community who take the lower price don't consider the discount as taking charity?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:16 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
The reason that tuition discounts are charity is that the parents who pay full tuition are in essence giving charity so that you could pay less. How does it work otherwise in practicality, never mind if people in the community who take the lower price don't consider the discount as taking charity?

It's not just the people who take the discount that don't consider it charity. None of us do!
I pay full tuition. I always have. I know that it costs less to educate my child then what I actually pay, and I still don't consider it charity!!

esther36

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:20 pm
So I was the one who mentioned about moving to Ohio cuz of free tuition thru vouchers. We would definitely be eligible. We have six children, I teach and work part time at home. My husband is self employed and works part time in a yeshiva. Our income is very low. We get all the government programs and still don't make it in NJ. Maybe in Ohio without the worries and stress of exorbitant tuition costs we may be able to live without so much stress.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:25 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It's not just the people who take the discount that don't consider it charity. None of us do!
I pay full tuition. I always have. I know that it costs less to educate my child then what I actually pay, and I still don't consider it charity!!

If rarely does your school provide 'discounts' - where does the money you pay beyond the price of education go?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:28 pm
esther36 wrote:
So I was the one who mentioned about moving to Ohio cuz of free tuition thru vouchers. We would definitely be eligible. We have six children, I teach and work part time at home. My husband is self employed and works part time in a yeshiva. Our income is very low. We get all the government programs and still don't make it in NJ. Maybe in Ohio without the worries and stress of exorbitant tuition costs we may be able to live without so much stress.

Would you and your husband be able to keep your jobs in Ohio? Will you receive the same benefits in Ohio as you do now for health insurance, SNAP, whatever government programs you have in your state?
If the answer to any of these are no, how will you support yourself there?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
If rarely does your school provide 'discounts' - where does the money you pay beyond the price of education go?

Well they do take some discounts. And they do a lot of fancy extra curricular things, and they pay the staff very well. They are not a poor school. And honestly, I don't know. I'm sure their using it wisely. I don't think to deeply into these things. This is the price. I pay. I'm glad that people who can't afford it, don't have to pay full price and still get to go to this wonderful school.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 5:15 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Well they do take some discounts. And they do a lot of fancy extra curricular things, and they pay the staff very well. They are not a poor school. And honestly, I don't know. I'm sure their using it wisely. I don't think to deeply into these things. This is the price. I pay. I'm glad that people who can't afford it, don't have to pay full price and still get to go to this wonderful school.

:-)

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 5:48 pm
How do you find the 990s?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
How do you find the 990s?

http://foundationcenter.org/fi.....inder

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
http://foundationcenter.org/find-funding/990-finder

I was just discussing this with my husband & he mentioned to me that since schools are religious organizations, even though they are non-profit, charitable orgs, they are not required to file the form 990. I saw some yeshivas listed, but I guess that is why I could not find my kid's yeshiva in the list.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
I was just discussing this with my husband & he mentioned to me that since schools are religious organizations, even though they are non-profit, charitable orgs, they are not required to file the form 990. I saw some yeshivas listed, but I guess that is why I could not find my kid's yeshiva in the list.

What you husband said is not quite right. There are limited exemptions from filing the 990, but no blanket religious exemption.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
What you husband said is not quite right. There are limited exemptions from filing the 990, but no blanket religious exemption.

Yeah, I guess that is true it's not a blanket exemption - I see at: https://www.irs.gov/charities-.....-file

I'm not an accountant or lawyer, but to my untrained eyes it seems like most religious Jewish schools would be excluded from the requirement based on what is written in that link.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:54 pm
esther36 wrote:

Property tax would also be much lower....but it all depends on jobs being portable.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:

Only if they registered as a church. Not all do, it's not always a wise decision or easy to prove.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah, I guess that is true it's not a blanket exemption - I see at: https://www.irs.gov/charities-.....-file

I'm not an accountant or lawyer, but to my untrained eyes it seems like religious Jewish schools are excluded from the requirement based on what is written in that link

The database doesn't claim to be complete. There are many yeshivas / schools who file (and it's not a fun form to complete -you don't do it voluntarily). As an example search for Bais Yaakov.

I can't speak to the specifics of the yeshiva you were looking up.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
The database doesn't claim to be complete. There are many yeshivas / schools who file (and it's not a fun form to complete -you don't do it voluntarily). As an example search for Bais Yaakov.

I can't speak to the specifics of the yeshiva you were looking up.

Yes, I did see a number of yeshivas, so you're right certainly some are filling the form out - I searched "yeshiva" and many popped up, but certainly not all are listed & I'm wondering if it's because of that religious exemption thing, so not always required. Thank you for the link - it is very interesting for me to read, even though not my kids' yeshiva.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 7:12 pm
Oh my goodness. These administrators make WAY TOO MUCH MONEY!!!
What do they do that is valued at 300,000 plus dollars a year? I just looked at 3 local schools and the dean/headmasters all make over 200,000 and some over 300,000!! And one school had 2 people titled as such making over 200,000 each!!

And they dare say we don't work enough and have to come up with tuition "somehow"? My husband has a graduate degree and a relatively well paying job but he also works ALL THE TIME. Even when supposedly on vacation.
Maybe they should make a measly 150,000 and cut tuition on the students...

Or, maybe I should ask: How can I get such a job?? Although I would feel ashamed to make that much when I see teachers salaries, the burden the parents have to pay their rent after tuition... Don't they??
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics