Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
I looooooooove Spice and Spirit
1  2  Next

HealthCoach

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 12:43 am
I just made the most amazing meat lasagna (at least I hope it is). The sauce which I tasted is definitely unreal.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 4:12 am
I call S&S my cooking bible. Never had a recipe go wrong on me yet and whenever someone asks to recommend a kosher cookbook, this is what I recommend.

smiley:)

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 4:25 am
Which meat lasagne from there did you make?

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 5:49 am
I think it is great but balabuste's choice, culinary creations and heimishe kitchen are great too. s and s is good for basics but when you wanna get creative you need more. Very Happy

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:23 am
I still have copies of the original yellow Spice and Spirit, in fact, at one time I had the first edition copy, which had so many errors in it! TG that all got fixed up.

Over the years, on ebay and half.com I bought used copies of the yellow cookbook for my kids.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:28 am
love the purple cookbook..
My mother does not keep kosher, but every time she's at my house she grabs it to reference recipies

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:06 am
Su7, I prefer the original for certain recipes!!!! I got mine for $5 back in the day...

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:09 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Su7, I prefer the original for certain recipes!!!! I got mine for $5 back in the day...

Are we aging ourselves here? Sunny

I got mine as one of the first things before I got married, off a Mitzvah tank on the beach front in Cape Town South Africa. It was so exciting. I treasure those memories!!!

anuta

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:09 am
What is the purple cookbook? Does it have a name?

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:10 am
anuta wrote:
What is the purple cookbook? Does it have a name?

The Spice and Spirit of Kosher Jewish Cooking is its name.

The original was yellow and then they revamped it and it is an absolutely awesome book.

All my kids got one for a wedding present from me. Its a favorite wedding present.

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:29 am
my mother has the blue one. is that more later than the yellow? I have the yellow one for pesach.

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:42 am
arita430 wrote:
my mother has the blue one. is that more later than the yellow? I have the yellow one for pesach.

I don't know about a blue one, but I know the Yellow for Pesach came out just after the yellow one for "chol".

There is also a Purple one for Pesach.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:46 am
The first one was actually blue, with a paper yellow cover.

baseballmom

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:48 am
chocolate moose wrote:
The first one was actually blue, with a paper yellow cover.

I have this one, and the purple one...the first from my mom, the 2nd as a wedding gift...love them both!

Tefila

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 2:00 pm
Op I love them too Very Happy I have the original version the yellow one then the purple and also the pesach one. I live with them as you can tell when viewing some of my pages embarrassed LOL

bashinda

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 8:04 pm
I know someone who has gone through a few copies and the couple of editions of the "purple cookbook" through her marriage. Mine is falling apart. I remember a nice lady asking me if anyone had gotten me it and that was my wedding gift and it's been one of the best wedding gifts I got.

It's that perfect first cookbook. I remember on a cooking mailing list I was on people were waxing nostalgic about the settlement cookbook and other people became interested and found that it was just a basic cookbook so what's the big deal? I think this is my version of the settlement cookbook. It's pretty standard but it really is "the most trusted" for me as their tagline goes and I was given a couple other cookbooks and those cookbooks are in mostly pristine condition. This as I said has been used quite a lot.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 8:40 pm
I wish I could get a nice, clean, new copy, but it's pretty expensive just for that.

bashinda

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 9:06 pm
well that's why I haven't bought one. Maybe IY"H for our 10th anniversary (IY"H in Yerushalyim with Moshiach way before that!)

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 9:55 am
I wish I had the old blue one. Some of the recipes in there are better than in the purple one where they modified them.

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 10:41 am
bashinda wrote:
well that's why I haven't bought one. Maybe IY"H for our 10th anniversary (IY"H in Yerushalyim with Moshiach way before that!)

Check out ebay and half.com. Sometimes you can find them for less. (maybe used, but in good condition).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics