Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
ISO Cossack costume for mitzva tantz for teen boys Bobov Cha
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 12:05 am
My friend wants to know where she can get the cossacken costume for her daughter's wedding like they have by the bobov mitzva tentz ריקוד הקזוקים? Preferably for free or for rent.
Or who can we contact to get it?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 12:09 am
I mean this in case no one knows what I am referring to.
https://youtu.be/_-1Qxx9ZRgU

sequoia

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 12:31 am
What did I just watch?...

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 12:39 am
Don't these people know that cossacks killed Jews?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 7:41 am
Grow up! If you don't know what it is then don't comment and make fun thank you

DrMom

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 7:45 am
amother wrote:

Wow, that was uncalled for.

Why do children dress as Cossacks at a mitzvah tantz? To me it's like dressing up like SS soldiers. What is the idea behind this?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 7:56 am
DrMom wrote:
Wow, that was uncalled for.

Why do children dress as Cossacks at a mitzvah tantz? To me it's like dressing up like SS soldiers. What is the idea behind this?

If people have a minhag you don't make fun of it. I don't see why it is uncalled for.
You can ask a bobover what the minhag is because I don't know what the reason behind it is.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
If people have a minhag you don't make fun of it. I don't see why it is uncalled for.
You can ask a bobover what the minhag is because I don't know what the reason behind it is.

A minhag is something that's tied to the performance of a halacha. Dressing up as a Cossack is not related to religious obligation of any kind. It's a social practice, and people have the right to ask about it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
A minhag is something that's tied to the performance of a halacha. Dressing up as a Cossack is not related to religious obligation of any kind. It's a social practice, and people have the right to ask about it.

They commented they didn't ask.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
They commented they didn't ask.

Ok, then I will. Given the horrors that the Cossaks perpetrated on the Jewish people, why would dressing as a Cossak be mesameach chosson vekallah?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:05 am
amother wrote:
Ok, then I will. Given the horrors that the Cossaks perpetrated on the Jewish people, why would dressing as a Cossak be mesameach chosson vekallah?

It's something I don't have the answer for. Maybe it's to show a nekama that were still strong?
But I started this thread to look for that costume for a friend and all I am getting is nasty comments about a chasidish minhug. We chasidim don't make fun of yeshivish people so they should not do to us.
Thank you

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:10 am
Please stop fighting. There is definitely a reason the bobover rebbes instituted this. I don't know but I'm sure bobov knows! Everything has a reason no need to get nasty.

Please ask questions in a respectful manner. Remember minhugim are rooted with reason and big gedolim came up with them it doesn't mean I know xactly. I'm not bobov but rest assured there Is one

When asking for curiosity you can ask in a very respectful way. Telling a bobov person that this a kin to ss is very hurtful.

That's another reason you don't post things like this on imamother. The world that doesn't understand what chasidus and rebbes are is gonna ask questions that will hurt. Because they don't get how our way of life. That includes anyone that in the very frum world. The world at large doesn't understand us.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:13 am
Please stop! Op asked a question she doesn't want a discussion. Can we just help her please? If you can't then start a spinoff

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:17 am
I thought I asked as respectfully as possible. I am genuinely curious about this practice. Why not answer? Asking why isn't ganging up on you.

My doctor once asked me why so many religious Jewish women wear black. She thought it was depressing and it looked like everyone was in mourning. I didn't get offended. I told her it's slimming, some think that dark colors are more modest, and the community tends to be conformist.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
Please stop fighting. There is definitely a reason the bobover rebbes instituted this. I don't know but I'm sure bobov knows! Everything has a reason no need to get nasty.

Please ask questions in a respectful manner. Remember minhugim are rooted with reason and big gedolim came up with them it doesn't mean I know xactly. I'm not bobov but rest assured there Is one

When asking for curiosity you can ask in a very respectful way. Telling a bobov person that this a kin to ss is very hurtful.

That's another reason you don't post things like this on imamother. The world that doesn't understand what chasidus and rebbes are is gonna ask questions that will hurt. Because they don't get how our way of life. That includes anyone that in the very frum world. The world at large doesn't understand us.

You complain that people don't "get how our way of life," but when people ask questions, you get offended.

Why the hypersensitivity?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 2:27 pm
DrMom wrote:
You complain that people don't "get how our way of life," but when people ask questions, you get offended.

Why the hypersensitivity?

The first two responders didn't ask.

cnc

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 2:32 pm
To all posters that are interested you can Google Bobov wedding march on youtube and you'll see what the Op is referring to. I have no idea how this custom started or what it represents.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:

Hmm you posted immediately after my comment about the cossacks so I'm gonna presume you were directing your comment at me.

You seem very ignorant of history, or specifically the history of Jews in Russia. I'll excuse your ignorance and rudeness, cause that's the kind of dame I am. I just figure your education is a bit lacking. Mine isn't since my maternal grandparents were yishuvniks in Russia. My grandfather remembered going into the woods to hide when the cossacks came to burn the rural village his family lived in.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 2:49 pm
I'll just put it out there that I never knew the mitzva tantz March has anything to do with Cossacks. I wonder where that came from? Now I am going to try to find out what this particular custom is all about. My curiosity got piqued. If I find anything of interest, I'll keep you all posted

cnc

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 2:50 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
I'll just put it out there that I never knew the mitzva tantz March has anything to do with Cossacks. I wonder where that came from? Now I am going to try to find out what this particular custom is all about. My curiosity got piqued. If I find anything of interest, I'll keep you all posted

I didn't either. I always thought of them as soldiers- are they specifically intended to be Cossacks?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics