Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has the bombing in Manchester effected your daily life?
1  2  Next

Has the recent bombings around the world effected your daily life?
Yes, I'm suspicious in public areas always keeping an eye open  
 18%  [ 23 ]
No, just continue living my life and hope for the best  
 76%  [ 97 ]
Other  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 126

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:38 am
Are you scared of going in public areas? Its unfortunate but now I think everyone else is starting to feel how Israelis felt when there were suicide bombings in Israel. it was never about the peace process it was always about the infidels. May gd protect everyone.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:49 am
I don't have any friends who would go to an Arianna Grande concert, but the attack could just as easily been an airport, train station, or shopping mall.

DD has teen friends in Manchester, and she's been a nervous wreck about the whole thing.
She feels everything so deeply, and wants to protect the whole world. I had to tell her that there's nothing she can do about it from America. If her friends are upset, they need to go to adults they can trust. She can't skip school to Skype everyone and be their therapist.

Hashem runs the world, and we don't know why these things happen. We don't know why one teen was in the wrong place, and another teen was in a different part of the auditorium. We don't know why one parent said "Sure, you can go." and another parent said "No way am I letting you go to a concert."

All we can do is pray, for the victims, the families, and ourselves. I feel especially bad for DD, because she says she's an atheist now, so she can't even find comfort in G-d. Crying

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:57 am
It hasn't affected my life any differently than other terrorist attacks have. I am nervous/wary in large crowds and busy places and think about how an attack near me would affect me Ch"v.

This attack did hit a little closer to home a: because it is near to where I live and b: because there is a concert I plan to go to in a few weeks and now I am extra scared but I hope and pray that the security will be triple as tight after this.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 10:10 am
It was particularly heinous because Ariana Grande appeals mostly to young tween and teen girls; the attack was designed to murder babies.

Some commentators suggest that its because Grande is a strong and z3xual young woman, and that's exactly what ISIS hates. But I think its more than that. I think that attacks like this are intended to provoke a response. They do the worst to try to provoke the worst from us, to foment the holy war they seem to want. And killing kids is (IMNSHO) the worst you can do.

A [conservative] British columnist tweeted, "“22 dead — number rising. Schofield. Don’t you even dare. Do not be part of the problem. We need a final solution. #Machester”.

"Final solution"? We need a lot of things, but I think that we can all agree that THAT is not what any of us need. I seriously doubt that even the columnist meant that, after she was able to further reflect. But the fact is that, in the heat of the moment, when you see the face of that precious 8 year-old who was murdered, its difficult to control.

But we DO need to control, both the rhetoric and the response. Because its the right thing. And because escalation does none of us any good.

So, as a British ex-par friend now living in Israel said, we need to go on. Go to concerts and sporting events. Sit in a cafe. Go to a movie. Because we can't let it control our lives.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 4:05 pm
No. I think I am still more worried about my relatives being hurt in car accidents then terror attacks.

I have lots of friends and family in manchester but none of them would go to that type of concert. Still scared to open the news and read the names of the dead. I know there were Jewish kids there. I do wonder if the terrorist(s) deliberately targeted this type of concert...I am not so sure. In any case some of the dead were parents picking up kids.

I remember when I first visited manchester the centre of the city was still recovering from a huge IRA bomb in 1996. The IRA were (in general) more concerned with damaging property not lives and phoned in a warning 1.5 hours beforehand, so no one was killed in that attack but it took years for the city to be rebuilt.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:13 pm
The IRA had specific political goals. They weren't evil.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:15 pm
I just heard from DD. A friend of hers had two brothers at the concert, and they're still missing. Sad

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:17 pm
Raisin wrote:

I remember when I first visited manchester the centre of the city was still recovering from a huge IRA bomb in 1996....
it took years for the city to be rebuilt.

Not the city - just the arndale centre and some surrounding places. But definitely NOT the city. And it didnt take years. I visited the new and improved Marks and Spencer a couple of years later and it could have even been open earlier than that.
The City of Manchester is enormous and the city was not destroyed nor rebuilt.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
Not the city - just the arndale centre and some surrounding places. But definitely NOT the city. And it didnt take years. I visited the new and improved Marks and Spencer a couple of years later and it could have even been open earlier than that.
The City of Manchester is enormous and the city was not destroyed nor rebuilt.

Some people think Manchester was improved by the bomb, ie it help regenerate it.

Sequoia, I am not comparing the IRA to Jihadists. And, yes, they were far less evil in that they did not usually bomb people. Hamas also has a specific political aim. I'm pretty sure Isis do too. Something to do with Islamification of the whole Israel/Middle east/world.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:39 pm
They wanted the English to leave THEIR land, not to take over someone else's!!!

The proof is that compromise has been reached and a political solution worked out, despite the fact that no one got exactly what they wanted. This is impossible with jihadists.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:48 pm
sequoia wrote:

The proof is that compromise has been reached and a political solution worked out, despite the fact that no one got exactly what they wanted. This is impossible with jihadists.

Some people (many people in the west) seem to think that Hamas have acheivable aims. I guess they do but they involve every Jew leaving Israel.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 5:51 pm
sequoia wrote:

I'm not going to put myself in a position of saying anything that could remotely be seen as supporting ISIS. But they do think that they have a point, and do think that "Crusaders" have invaded their lands.

I don't care what their alleged point is. You don't kill babies.

zaq

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 7:09 pm
Raisin wrote:
No. I think I am still more worried about my relatives being hurt in car accidents then terror attacks.

And rightly so, because the number of people killed and maimed by terrorists isn't a patch on the carnage caused by motor vehicle accidents. Nearly 1.3 million people die in crashes every year, and anywhere from 20 to 50,000,000 hurt or disabled. Stats from ASIRT.

in contrast, in 2014, the bloodiest year in the ten years starting 2006, the number of deaths due to terrorist attacks was 32,763 worldwide. That means you are st least 40 times more likely to die in a car crash than by terrorist act.

Now has this made you think twice? What are YOU going to do differently now that you know this? You being the collective you, not you Raisin.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just heard from DD. A friend of hers had two brothers at the concert, and they're still missing. Sad

This must be the worst horror - its been so many hours! My heart breaks for their families...as I try to understand where they could be?

lucky14

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:40 pm
zaq wrote:
And rightly so, because the number of people killed and maimed by terrorists isn't a patch on the carnage caused by motor vehicle accidents. Nearly 1.3 million people die in crashes every year, and anywhere from 20 to 50,000,000 hurt or disabled. Stats from ASIRT.

in contrast, in 2014, the bloodiest year in the ten years starting 2006, the number of deaths due to terrorist attacks was 32,763 worldwide. That means you are st least 40 times more likely to die in a car crash than by terrorist act.

Now has this made you think twice? What are YOU going to do differently now that you know this? You being the collective you, not you Raisin.

I've always tried to drive carefully and be aware of those driving around me (as much as I can). The fact that now you ALSO have to worry about bombings in innocent locations like shopping malls, concerts, races, etc is just extra freaky. The fact that these people do it on purpose is very scary. Yes, I do think about this when I'm in public places. Honestly I don't like to go to locations with large gatherings of people (especially Jewish events). I don't stay in my home not going anywhere, but now when I am out I do think about it.

lucky14

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:41 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

wow. I can't imagine Sad

tichellady

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 10:09 pm
I am much more scared of things that are more stastically likely to cause death- like being in a car. I am going through a hard time right now and I have to say that this attack put things in perspective for me. I can't imagine the pain that people who lost family members and friends are feeling and it made me realize that my situation, while hard, is very tolerable and will pass. Wishing only good health and peace for those who were injured and wishing much comfort for those who lost loved ones.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:38 pm
sequoia wrote:
The IRA had specific political goals. They weren't evil.

Being evil and having specific political goals are not mutually exclusive.

ISIS has goals and they are evil.

Hamas has goals and they are evil.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
Being evil and having specific political goals are not mutually exclusive.

ISIS has goals and they are evil.

Hamas has goals and they are evil.

You know exactly what I mean and what the differences are.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 4:04 am
No. It's neither the first nor the last UNLESS Moshiach comes or maybe we strike hard enough (that said, France bombed Syria bad after the Bataclan and stuff still goes on). The attacks, lo alenu, are now worldwide. Many right wing people like journalist Alain Legaret warned that ignoring the situation in israël would empower them to go worldwide. Sad
I have decided not to allow my feelings to get in the way. It's still more dangerous to go in a car... certainly without the belt/carseat as many Frenchy do. I have non Jewish acquaintances who don't have a life anymore. I refuse.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics