Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Mystic seaport

benny

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:04 pm
Anyone ever been? Is it enjoyable for kids 5-12 or will they be bored?

doctorima

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:27 pm
We've talked about it but never gone, so I'll be curious to see what others say. But nearby you also have the Mystic Aquarium, so if they're not enjoying the seaport, you can go try the aquarium. Just be aware that neither is cheap, though I believe there may be some discount combo passes available.

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:20 am
Boring and both the seaport museum and the aquarium are quite expensive. Much more than you'd expect. Mystic is a good place to walk around and stretch your legs on your way to somewhere else but not a place to spend a lot of time

benny

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 7:57 am
Thanks for the feedback! Anyone have other fun ideas in or around Connecticut? What about the Connecticut science center?

Blue jay

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 8:28 am
http://naturesartvillage.com/t.....lace/

Went to this place years ago with kids. They lOOOOVED it! It was about 100$ for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.

check out the website. In the summer they have a water playground too!

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 8:57 am
I'm pretty sure I've been there, but I don't remember much about it, so it was probably not that interesting.

benny

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 9:33 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
http://naturesartvillage.com/the-dinosaur-place/

Went to this place years ago with kids. They lOOOOVED it! It was about 100$ for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.

check out the website. In the summer they have a water playground too!

Looks adorable but I think too juvenile for 9 and 12 yr old boys?

Blue jay

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 9:49 am
benny wrote:
Looks adorable but I think too juvenile for 9 and 12 yr old boys?

The dinosaurs were pretty cool as I remember and it is a nice outdoor venue.
I dont think they would be bored. But your younger ones will be thrilled.

Also, Mystic seaport was wonderful too. Reenactment of colonial period with shops and cool boats to visit. Just Pricey. It might run you up to $200 or so.

The Mystic aquarium is also gorgeous! Great exhibits and touch tanks too! They also had a bird sanctuary.

I have to tell you that Mystic was one of my most favorite family vacations.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 10:25 am
Check out Gillette Castle in CT, which can be combined with a train ride and boat ride, Google for details. It's much cheaper than Mystic, and kids that age will love it! It's also not too far from Hartford, which has several other activity options.

self-actualization

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 10:28 am
I really enjoyed my vacation to Mystic. It was close to NYC, nice things to do, seaport was very entertaining, and we stopped in Stamford for dinner on the way home. We also just like going to hotels ... we stayed at Howard Johnson and kids went in the pool etc.

sky

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 11:59 am
We once did the Gillette castle trip with a baby.
Train ride - ferry ride, nice grounds - tour on old castle.

There is also Sheffield light house and the aquarium nearby (we didn't do the aquarium).

Not a super exciting trip, but very peaceful and nice. I'm not sure though if my 11 year old would enjoy it.

rovacat

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:30 pm
I've been going to mystic every summer my whole life. Aquarium is great. I only did the seaport as a little girl. I have memories of being hot. My brothers loved thr big ships. There's a great submarine museum near there. By thr sub base. You can walk through the actual submarine. It's cool. The beaches there are nice. Ans stonington is a beautiful street with quaint shopping. We always watched the draw bridge go up ans down when a boat passed through. And a kid friendly hotel was also a favorite. With the pool. There's not much else there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics