Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Gluten free/ dairy free

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:10 pm
I'm not sure what to put this under:
My teen was just told that she needs to go off of: dairy, gluten, onions, mushrooms, watermelon, and apples.
I could really use help with what to make for her for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, food to just have in the house for her. She's so hungry!! Thanx

sarahmalka

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:27 pm
Oh my gosh there are so many options! For quick snack items, use rice cakes, rice crackers, Mary's Crackers, tortilla chips, nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hummus, other bean dips, hardboiled eggs, plenty of cut-up fresh veggies stored in Tupperware in the fridge. Salads with nuts, beans, tuna salad, or salmon salad are good for packed lunches. There are plenty of GF breads available, I really like the Millet Special by DeLand (found in frozen section of health food stores), or Trader Joe's GF breads are decent. The breads generally need to be toasted to taste decent. Need a GF challah recipe? I can post one another time. Dairy substitutes: for cheese, there are not fabulous alternaties but I think the best is Daiya brand shredded white cheese, for melting on GF pizza crust or on tortilla chips. For butter, try Earth Balance. For milk, really any of the nondairy milk alternatives are fine, just look for unsweetened varieties if you're trying to keep sugar at a minimum. Almond, soy, coconut, flaxseed milk, hemp milk, etc. There are many GF breakfast cereals just make sure they don't contain malt as that is barley-derived, and barley has gluten. Pancakes and muffins and cookies are easy to make GF and DF, just google "vegan, gluten-free [insert name of desired baked good]." I can post a pancake recipe if you like. I suggest you take a leisurely trip to a Whole Foods or local coop and browse around for awhile, see the options. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We could help you come up with menus more easily if you gave some idea of what she likes and what she normally eats.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:39 pm
Thanx! Any menus and recipes would be so appreciated!!

sarahmalka

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:47 pm
Gluten-Free Oat Challah Recipe
The benefit of oat challah is of course that you can make hamotzi! But check with your doctor if oats are permitted. Technically oats do not contain gluten but you may need to be purchasing certified gluten-free oats to ensure there was no cross-contamination.

Oat Challah
http://www.kveller.com/article.....cipe/

1 package active dry yeast (about 1 Tbsp) 1 1/4 c warm water
1/4 c honey 1/4 c safflower oil
2 eggs (egg-free version: 2 tbsp flax seeds blended with 6 tbsp warm water until frothy)
1 t cider vinegar 2 t sea salt
1 T xanthan gum 1 c tapioca flour/starch
1 1⁄2 c gluten-free oat flour (Bob’s Red Mill makes it, as does Cream Hill Estates)
1⁄2 c coconut, quinoa, brown or white rice, teff, garbanzo or other gluten-free flour (note: if you use just teff flour, you can reduce your xanthan gum to 2 tsp).
1 c plumped raisins (optional) Brown sugar for sprinkling pan (optional)

 Place the yeast and honey in the bottom of the bowl. Cover with the warm water and whisk for 30 seconds to dissolve the yeast.
 Let the yeast foam and bubble for a few minutes. Mix in wet ingredients first (eggs, oil, vinegar) and then add the flours, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix well. Add raisins if you like.
 Lightly oil a 9×5 loaf pan or muffin tin (for small rolls). I like to sprinkle brown sugar on the bottom. Pour in challah batter and smooth the top. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
 15 minutes before it’s finished rising, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the dishtowel and bake until golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.
 Let it cool for a few minutes out of the oven in the pan before removing. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool 30 minutes before slicing.

Personal Tips:
1) I always double the recipe. The challah can be frozen and thawed later after it is baked.
2) I use any oil, whatever is in the house. Often it's avocado oil.
3) You can mix and match almost anything for the ½ cup GF flour. Feel free to experiment.
4) If the batter seems too moist, add more oat flour.
5) GF challah batter is, well, batter. It is sticky, wet and cannot be braided. You can use any loaf pan, muffin pan or molds. I have some beautiful molds that make the loaves look like a braided challah.
6) for the oat flour, I just whizz oats in my Vitamix until they turn into flour-like consistency! It's cheaper than buying oat flour.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:50 pm
If she likes: eggs, chicken, meat, and/or fish, there are your mains.

If you'd think of a meal as needing bread, ex. a sandwich, try to imagine instead with sliced or grilled vegetables.

Ex. grilled salmon + baked parsnip fries. Maybe sweet potato or quinoa on the side if she can

roast chicken + grilled mixed peppers.

Egg for breakfast with Israeli salad.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:50 pm
Banana Pancakes

½ tsp vanilla
1 cup rice flour (can use ¾ cup rice flour and ¼ cup buckwheat flour, or any mixture)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ Tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1 cup soymilk (or any milk substitute)
1 overripe banana
½ cup chopped walnuts

1. Mix all dry ingredients.
2. Chop banana and cook in frying pan with Earth Balance or butter until soft. Set aside to cool.
3. Combine wet ingredients.
4. Add banana to dry ingredients and mash.
5. Add wet to dry and mix.
6. Add walnuts.
7. Fry with Earth Balance or butter or any kind of oil on med-low heat. Can freeze extra and then heat up in toaster.

Optional add-ins: coconut flakes, ground flaxseed, chia seeds, teff or amaranth flour in lieu of the other flours. Can substitute pecans for walnuts in this recipe, or leave them out entirely.
Tips: overripe bananas can be kept in your freezer so you have them available any time you want to make this recipe. I thaw them in the microwave before using in recipes.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:59 pm
Another easy delicious snack, gluten free peanut/almond butter banana mini muffins:
https://www.averiecooks.com/20......html

I actually keep a tray in the freezer and eat one frozen when I need a pick me up (have to keep it hidden from the kids!)

tichellady

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:59 pm
Minimalistbaker has awesome gluten free vegan recipes, so does ohsheglows

A lot of gluten free substitutes are not so healthy so I would stick to just wholesome food. Breakfast ideas: Omelets, yogurt made with coconut or almond milk, baked oatmeal ( gluten free oats), chia pudding ( made with almond milk), hard boiled eggs with avacado on rice cakes.
Lunch or dinner: grilled chicken, baked fish, quinoa salad, short grain brown rice, roasted vegetables, all types of soup, chickpea salad, black bean corn quinoa salad, shepherds pie, schwarma chicken with Israeli salad and pickles, taco salad with ground beef or black beans, zuchinni noodles with bolognese sauce or meatballs.
Snacks: fruit, veggies, corn on the cob, popcorn, nuts, kind bars, frozen cherries or mango, pickles, peanut butter on rice cake

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 9:40 am
Thank you so much for your help with this new way of eating for my dd. Any suggestions for yomtov menus for her? Dairy? Meat?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 9:41 am
Whoops! I meant, of course she can't eat dairy, but instead pareve( while others eat dairy), and meat..

shana rishona

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 10:15 am
For dairy meals,you can make Gf pizza with Daiya Cheese,GF Lasagnia or any GF pasta with Daiya cheese, Fish, Roasted veggies, sushi,parve cheesecakes, soy,cashew or coconut ice cream
For meat meals:whatever you usually make but leave out onions and mushrooms and you would be surprised how many foods are naturally GF or you can use a GF flour blends or GF corn flake crumbs-Geffen brand is GF, to substitute in your Gluten recipes.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
Whoops! I meant, of course she can't eat dairy, but instead pareve( while others eat dairy), and meat..

Tell us what you are planning on making for everyone and we can make suggestions for how to adapt it for her, unless you want to make the menu around her

reality mom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 9:30 pm
My daughter is gluten and dairy free for a good few months now. I either use recipes that I find online (there is no shortage!) or I tweak them myself. Any recipe that calls for milk gets substituted with coconut or almond milk. All wheat flour gets substituted with coconut flour (for sweeter recipes), almond flour, or gluten-free oat flour. You can also buy gluten free flour mixes in the health food store, which is usually a combination of potato starch, rice flour, etc...but it ends up being more pricey. I quadruple every recipe and freeze them, because its definitely a patchka.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking